aberdeen-music

band member leaving

HARLEY BENTON

hi all,

we have a band member leaving us but wants a lum sum payout rather than royalties and future earnings.

a band agreement was in the making but was not signed so we have agreed a sum with him but want him to sign a disclaimer stating that no future attempt will be made by him to claim royalties or stake a claim to the music.

is there any documents i could download or copy as i have tried to draft a letter but don't know how to word it.

any help would be gratefully recieved

thanks in advance.

Guest droid

Contact the M.U. if you are a member,if he hasn't co-written any of the tunes then he's not entitled to any writers royalties.Personally i would tell him to get F****d and wait till the music sells and then claim his %age.If he has left the band why should he be entitled to any share of album sales....all IMO of course.

hi all,

we have a band member leaving us but wants a lum sum payout rather than royalties and future earnings.

a band agreement was in the making but was not signed so we have agreed a sum with him but want him to sign a disclaimer stating that no future attempt will be made by him to claim royalties or stake a claim to the music.

is there any documents i could download or copy as i have tried to draft a letter but don't know how to word it.

any help would be gratefully recieved

thanks in advance.

Are you in Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden?
  • Upvote 1

yes that's a bit cheeky on his part, if you pay him it would be like for him, and i coin the phrase, "getting paid while getting laid"

what Droid is suggesting there sounds like your best option, but unless you're anticipating making mega bucks with your band, i don't think you have to worry about paying him off

Guest Tam o' Shantie

future 'classic threads' nomination?

i'm just sayin...

*edit* just to clarify, this guy is the manager of Engraved, that teenage metal band from Turriff.

Don't give him any money. If you have no record sales, and not made any money from the music then what are you basing any sort of pay out on??!?!?!?! o_O

Tell him to fuck off if he doesn't want to play in the band any more. That is generally what happens and you suck it up if you made the wrong decision.

there's always a few smart arses ready to shoot anyone down in flames.!!

the boys have made a fair bit of money to date and are only trying to do the right thing by protecting any future release of songs the former member had a hand in, you never know what lies ahead.

why is the boy leaving?

I really don't think they have anything to worry about, unless they have had some incredibly ill advised sheet music and lyrics produced signed by all band members or summat how will the wee scrote ever prove he had anything to do with the music?

If Joe Satriani canna sue Coldplay successfully then I don't think this mob have much to fear....

EDIT: I am making a basic and possibly misguided assumption that Satriani never succeeded, I can't be bothered trying to find out...

Surely you just need to draw up an agreement as to who wrote what percentage of each song, then in the unlikely event of them ever being published he can get his share of the royalties.

Yep, we have a winner. You shouuldn't give money away up front against future earning unless those earnings are guaranteed, ie a record deal pending - which they have had a hand in - publishing on songd they co-wrote or a guarantee sum of money. Bottom line is split future royalties for what he has a hand in and that's all he gets, if you want to run it 'professionally' like a professional band then part of that is not paying off people who want to leave at that point, band members come and go and are entitled to exactly what their band is worth not what it might be worth.

Cheers

Stuart