aberdeen-music

Finding the right promoters in Glasgow

FatHand

I'm currently trying to organise a string of 4 gigs in May. The plan is to do Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle then up to Dundee (Thursday to Sunday).

I have contacts in Edinburgh and Newcastle and gigs sorted but I've gotten out of touch with Glasgow and folk I know there. Does anyone know if there Is there a central online location where Glasgow promoters have links/advertise or does anyone know of any good promoters down there I could get in touch with?

In the worst case I'll just hire a venue and promote it myself but it'd be good to at least find out what the scoop is down there.

Anyone know good promoters in Dundee and the venues they work through? I'm quite liking the sound of trying to get a gig in the Reading Rooms.

Guest Gladstone

I think they call themselves TFR Promotions. Look them up - they just sent us a message offering up a shitload of dates they need filling - we can't do any of them unfortunately...

As for Dundee - not had much luck with them. Got one gig, but it was through a band rather than a promoter. There's a promoter who deals with Dexters gigs, but I can't for the life of me remember what his "company" name is. If you check out Dexters you'll find him. I think he maybe puts on gigs at different venues too.

How the fuck did you get a gig in Newcastle? I never managed to get anywhere when trying to book stuff in Newcastle.

In fact, your post just looks like it came from opposite world. I've always found Edinburgh far more difficult than Glasgow. And as difficult as Dundee was, it was a million times more accessible than Newcastle!

Get Loose Promotions are no bad - might even get some free beer out of it. Also try contacting Craig McGhee - he runs a night (La Cheetah Club) that puts bands on.

Stay AWAY from PM Music or anyone offering a gig at the following venues: Ivory Blacks, Rockers, or Cosmopol. KMR are good but will want you to sell tickets, tickets, tickets.

And share the love for Newcastle - I'm with Gladstone in having no joy getting anything.

Can anyone post any decent promoters they know from other cities? It would be great to start gigging out of town but don't now any promoters out there.

What kind of stuff do you play? I know a heap of different people who do shows in Leeds/Manchester/Sheffield, if you were wanting to venture that far south, but most stick to particular audiences/genres

Guest idol_wild
Can anyone post any decent promoters they know from other cities? It would be great to start gigging out of town but don't now any promoters out there.

You can't expect other people to do your own leg work. It's really not difficult to find promoters in every major town and city in the UK. You just have to invest a bit of time and effort to find them. And, more crucially, to find the right ones. It's often not difficult to separate the good ones from the bad ones, even before any contact is made.

Get Loose Promotions are no bad - might even get some free beer out of it. Also try contacting Craig McGhee - he runs a night (La Cheetah Club) that puts bands on.

Stay AWAY from PM Music or anyone offering a gig at the following venues: Ivory Blacks, Rockers, or Cosmopol. KMR are good but will want you to sell tickets, tickets, tickets.

And share the love for Newcastle - I'm with Gladstone in having no joy getting anything.

The Newcastle links are due to me putting on 3 different bands from Newcastle last year and as I'm really accommodating with my acts, they are all really keen to help us organise gigs there. It's the type of music we play as well, we are in a different much smaller genre than guitar bands. This also makes it easier for us to get in to certain places, for example we're playing the Jazz Bar in Edinburgh. I've not tried yet but I'm pretty sure we won't have much trouble getting something sorted in Leeds if I get to do it the way I was hoping... basically going to book a show there with a more famous act and support them.

I just seem to have lost a lot of contacts I had in Glasgow for this sort of thing, last time I played there properly was probably 4 years ago. I've never played in Dundee so don't have many contacts there... just thought of one right now actually.

avoid playing Box in glasgow at all costs. i think they promote their own nights

Played there before and it was pretty terrible.

Nice and Sleazy was good, as was Stereo every time we played there. Never played Tuts. I've come across a fair few "sell our tickets" type promoters which is not something I'm willing to do. I'd rather just hire out a venue and get a mate to put some posters up, do all that kind of thing ourselves than split the money with some promoters that aren't that bothered. A bit harder to promote from remote location but we'd easily make money back just through mates turning up.