aberdeen-music

Double standards?

Wow, if an article was written like this by a man hed be set upon, absolutely disguting story from the Daily Mail, written probably by women who are incontinent and need a pail.

They cant even get the headline right in the link.. How-train-husband-like-dog-An-hilarious-book-reveals-really-tight-leash.

How to train your husband like a dog! An hilarious book reveals that you really can keep him on a tight leash | Mail Online

Wow, if an article was written like this by a man hed be set upon, absolutely disguting story from the Daily Mail, written probably by women who are incontinent and need a pail.

They cant even get the headline right in the link.. How-train-husband-like-dog-An-hilarious-book-reveals-really-tight-leash.

How to train your husband like a dog! An hilarious book reveals that you really can keep him on a tight leash | Mail Online

Yeah, what the fuck was she doing out of the kitchen long enough to write that article eh? Wimmen eh?*

Also, an hilarious is grammatically correct.

I think this is the point you GTFO and take your FAIL with you. Or something similar.

*Not the feelings of the poster, more for the LULz, ken?

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone
Headline in the ling should be 'A hilarious' not 'An hilarious' obviously she was too interested in training her husband like a dog to proofread

Where did you learn English?

Women mags are a mass of contradictions, I always remember flicking through one of the missus' rags and on one page was an article spouting off how men should be putting in the effort to be in good shape for their good ladies so to develop a Brad Pitt style washboard stomach while 2 pages later it was banging on about how men should love every little lump and bump on a lass without question because every woman should be able to eat as much choccy biccys as they see fit.

Guest Gladstone
The Scottish education system, it was taught that 'An' should only be used before abbreviations or words beginning in a vowel.

Words beginning with 'h' like hour, honest, history, etc etc should all be preceded by "an" rather than "a".

"An hilarious" is absolutely right, just as "an history" is right. The "h" is deemed to be subordinate to the "i", and so the word is treated as if it begins with a vowel.

But for it to be said outloud and sound right, you'd have to be from Northern England, where singular letters tend to go missing. Surely it doesn't need to be put that way written down?

you'd say "i'll see you in an hour, i've got to go to a hospital", right?

It also has a lot to do with the nature of the "h". The "h" in "hour" is soft, whereas the "h" in "hospital" is clearly not.

The OP was endeavouring to score points by pointing out a mistake in a headline that was not a mistake. While we might say "a hilarious", if we're going to get all Grammar Nazi about things (and I do hope we are!) then we are saying it wrong.

That's why I do so love our mother tongue. It makes fuck all sense half of the time.