aberdeen-music

Finding bands on the internet

Guest Gladstone

Guest Gladstone

Is there a good way to search for bands on the internet?

I used to go into Myspace Music and browse by genre / location to try and find (for example) indie bands from Aberdeen.

Myspace have removed that function for some reason, and all it does is show the Myspace Chart, which is balls for trying to scope out local bands.

I've had a look at Facebook, which seems to be gradually taking over, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of searching for bands.

Does anyone know of a way to find bands on the internet by location / genre?

Cheers

:up:

Guest Gladstone
Is location massively important? Otherwise, I just go on certain forums and say "I like stuff like this, recommend more". The related artists links at the top of a Spotify page are sometimes useful. Sometimes they are just ridiculous though.

Yeah, it's important to me.

I'm trying to find local bands for support slots / my clubnight.

I also contribute to a local fanzine, so I'm keen to find as many local bands as I can. I'm not in the position that I can just rock up to the Tunnels/Drummonds 5 nights a week to check bands out, but if I can check them out online, I can scope out when they're playing, when they're releasing any music etc.

It just used to be so easy on myspace, when you had the "advanced search" function, you could put in location, genre, and loads of other filters.

Now the best I can do is hit "unsigned", "indie" (or any other genre I'm looking for) and whoever's top of the plays chart comes up, which is currently a band called "Heyhihello" from Ohio, who may be amazing, and I may want to listen to them / book them for a gig at some point, but doesn't serve the purpose of trying to find bloody local bands!!

Incidentally, top of the "local" charts are No Pasaran, at number 65 in the unsigned indie list. That's nae bad going really.

How do you make them "local"? I thought the most you could filter was "UK".

Besides, I wouldn't put much stock in the myspace charts, they don't have any rhyme or reason to them at all.

Guest Gladstone
How do you make them "local"? I thought the most you could filter was "UK".

Besides, I wouldn't put much stock in the myspace charts, they don't have any rhyme or reason to them at all.

Yeah - they were number 65 in the UK Charts - the highest up local band, so top of the local charts!

• 4 months later...
Guest Gladstone
have you tried just going onto google and entering something like

site:myspace.com music aberdeen uk ??

I just did this - and I think it's the best I'm going to get.

Nice one.

Cheers.

I can't use myspace at work anymore though, so will have to wait till I get home tonight.

(Not sure why I hadn't noticed this post until now)