aberdeen-music

Aberdeen bands in the 60s?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Does anyone have any info about bands that were going around in the 60s...beat, psych, mod stuff? I'd love to hear some recordings if such things exist as well.

I just caught the tail end of the 60s...and then wallowed in the 70s :)

Well respected bands I saw were...My Dear Watson (used to be Johnny & the Copycats....came from Buckie), Gully Foyle, Twilight Zone etc I just missed seeing Albert Fish who seem to have been very well thought of (caught their reunion a few years ago), and Warlock, who covered a lot of unusual stuff.

Guest droid
thanks for that link alan, it was just what i was looking for.

i wonder if any of these cats have unreleased recordings...nahmean?!

Future Tuff Wax signings maybe? Booyaka gwan rude bwoy...

I don't know any of them personally (although I am the owner of an ex-Copycats jacket, bought at a jumble sale in Buckie c.'75!). However Stef Kocemba of Gully Foyle currently plays in Papa Mojo...you could always ask him.

A compilation of 'Grampian Beat/Psych' from the 60s would be an ace release!!!!!

Names.......? I'll start with 'Rock 'n' Rowies'

'Echt miles high'

'Careful with that axe Zander'

'McGinty's meal and pills'

'Granite takes a trip'

'Flourmill Lane Power'

'Acid Quines'

Does anyone have any info about bands that were going around in the 60s...beat, psych, mod stuff? I'd love to hear some recordings if such things exist as well.

I used to have a single by The Misfits recorded for Aberdeen Student Charity Campaign which featured a version of The Beatles You Won't See Me and was released mid 60s. Lost it somewhere along the line...

I've seen the aforementioned Johnny & The Copycats on one or two of their reunion gigs in Buckie plus bumped into Mecco, the guitarist, in Tesco last week. Some trivia...they supported The Beatles in Glasgow and Edinburgh in 1964 plus Elton John played on some of their My Dear Watson stuff. Hendrix watched them at a club in London and Geno Washington used to jam with them.

I've got the EE's Fit Like, New York which is about the only book I've seen that covers the music scene up here.

I just caught the tail end of the 60s...and then wallowed in the 70s :)

Well respected bands I saw were...My Dear Watson (used to be Johnny & the Copycats....came from Buckie), Gully Foyle, Twilight Zone etc I just missed seeing Albert Fish who seem to have been very well thought of (caught their reunion a few years ago), and Warlock, who covered a lot of unusual stuff.

Beach ballroom... Sunday nights 15yrs old... bleedin magic!!

Guest Motleyal
I don't know any of them personally (although I am the owner of an ex-Copycats jacket, bought at a jumble sale in Buckie c.'75!). However Stef Kocemba of Gully Foyle currently plays in Papa Mojo...you could always ask him.

A compilation of 'Grampian Beat/Psych' from the 60s would be an ace release!!!!!

Names.......? I'll start with 'Rock 'n' Rowies'

'Echt miles high'

'Careful with that axe Zander'

'McGinty's meal and pills'

'Granite takes a trip'

'Flourmill Lane Power'

'Acid Quines'

What about a remake of the monkee's psychadelic movie (Peter) Head?

A Lighter Shade of (Bon Accord) Ale

Sgt (Deeside) Piper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

I'll Feel a Whole Lot Buttery When You're Gone

Needles (byd)and Pins

With a Little Skelp From My Friends

Young Girl by Gary Puckett and the Union (Street) Gap

Quine the Eskimo (The Shitey Quine)

How Do You Doos What You Do To Me?

Bad Loon Rising

Take Messages to Mary

It's Now Or(a) Never

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Puns aside, this has been a real insight. I think i'm gonna try and track down a rep for johnny & the copycats / my dear watson and have a chat

I would, too!! But a comp. of some 60s Aberdeen stuff would be fabulous.......and I'd expect it to sell well, too. There was a lot of interesting discussion about the era on the This Is North Scotland site a couple of years ago, but I think Aberdeen Journals closed the chat forums because of copyright issues with photos.

I remember a book in my folk's house from the early / mid nineties (I'm sure it had the Evening Express logo on the front) with a yellow cover called "Grit, Growth and Sometimes Groovy" that covered music in Aberdeen from the 50's onwards. Might be worth checking out, although it might be garbage! I remember absolutely nothing about it, other than it had loads of old pictures of the Beach Ballroom!

Surely Tommy Dene fae Aiberdeen was in a few "beat combos" back in the day!!!!!