aberdeen-music

Camping round Ballater

framheim

we want to go camping with our dog in april and are going to watch chris run the balmoral 10k in april too, so figured we could find a campsite after that. anyone know any good spots for camping in the ballater/braemar area?

i know there's lots of good places, our problem is choosing one! anyone found some amazing spots?

if you don't mind a wee walk in i would heartily reccommend heading up to loch muick and pitching next to loch/woods opposite Broad Cairn. It's stunning!

is camping allowed round there? just read a walk that said camping was prohibited round loch muick but i've seen folk camping there before.

Would second Loch Muick (haven't done it for nigh on 10 years though!) and would add Glen Tanar (near the lake), Ballochbuie (near the falls),and a bit further out, Linn Of Dee.

Like you say though, you are spoilt for choice: I was out that way today and just didn't want to come back (despite the conditions still being a bit tricky)...

:up:

yeah dave, our wild camping laws constitute that you are allowed to camp anywhere in Scotland, as long as you leave no trace of yourselves. The Ballater Estate Co do stipulate a "no camping" policy but it seems more to deter shitebags from the cities who treat the place like their own wee sty (see Loch Lomond, Tummell, Rannoch, Earn) than people who know the code.

Def spoilt for choice out that way, I'm looking forward to getting more aquainted with it this year :)

There is a small and very basic campsite on the Glentanar Estate, between Aboyne and Balater, a nice spot by the river - We used to do parties there, which could handle a few hundred people and no neighbours to bother, with big bonfires too. Ask the ranger about using it.

Not camped in Ballater itself for years but I remember there used to be a site by the river, just upstream from the bridge.

You also used to be able to camp for free up by Fraser's Bridge on the Clunie Water (certainly up to 2 yrs ago), a couple of miles out of Braemar - on the ground in the right of shot, to a bit further downstream from the bridge.

1187305921_f1b9b0fb1d_o.jpg

It is within walking distance of the town, via the golf course road (don't block it with vehicles). Never camped in the site in the town itself but I've never heard any great complaints about it.

You also used to be able to camp for free up by Fraser's Bridge on the Clunie Water (certainly up to 2 yrs ago), a couple of miles out of Braemar - on the ground in the right of shot, to a bit further downstream from the bridge.

1187305921_f1b9b0fb1d_o.jpg

It is within walking distance of the town, via the golf course road (don't block it with vehicles). Never camped in the site in the town itself but I've never heard any great complaints about it.

My Dad and I used to spend the first weekend of the summer holidays camping up there. Cracking place to camp. Roughing it without being totally "rough".

:up: