aberdeen-music

Girls In Bands

Lemonade

We looked for a gurl singer when we were focusing on the doom side of things. Kinda thankfully we have got an awesome vocalist and were are a sludge band, which is what we always wanted to do, so it all worked out for the good.

I too have seen a few lassies in Toms, and it always seems odd when every band is guys all over, although some of the blokes are reet girlie, with their nicely combed fringes. Maybe the girls are scared to compete?

Can't believe that this thread has reached 28 poasts and there has been no mention of Claire de Barros / Edgar Prais. Surely the yardstick for local band females?

Maybe I'm biased, but Claire is a brilliant musician and one of the nicest people in the world.

Was she not also in the short lived 'Turquasi'?

I loved that band name.

Back in the day I remember Nurse Bravo, Film 28# and Broken Oath all having female vox and distortion.

Guest texjamm

Shameless plug for Groove Cruise........yeah I know were not rock but we currently have 3 female vocals. Check our site out Groove Cruise

Past members have included Charlene (vocals, Leppard & The Big Cats & Crossroads), Jayne (vocals & sax, AKA-Ska), Jenny (vocals & keys).

Theres also Soul Funkin Hot and Funk Connection with female band members.

Haha, good joke.

Used to be a good laugh on here watching all the young dudes going on about how great Broken Sunshine were and getting all defensive at the slightest critiscism because they were desperate to get into their pants, here for example:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/music-discussion/18824-broken-sunshine-will-not-supporting-damned.html

Pop punk's not really by thing so I can't really comment on their band but I sang in a choir with all three of them for years and they are all really nice lassies.

Was she not also in the short lived 'Turquasi'?

I loved that band name.

Back in the day I remember Nurse Bravo, Film 28# and Broken Oath all having female vox and distortion.

Yeah! Nurse Bravo had a song with the sickest, gloopiest bass. They weren't around long enough.

Beth used to play drums in Fault and Fracture for all 4 of our gigs. She was good too - definitely not just there for the sake of having a bird in the band.

I'm generally dissappointed with girls who do aggressive vocals in bands, but there are a few that are decent (Broken Oath, Battle of Wolf 359, Punch).

I've never seen a girl inside the walls of musical vision before. Ever.

We've always had females playing with us (soul situation/silver city soul revue), used to be 2 girls doing vocals, now it's one girl on vocs, one on trumpet and one on trombone, and we're in there at least once a week ;)

Beth used to play drums in Fault and Fracture for all 4 of our gigs. She was good too - definitely not just there for the sake of having a bird in the band.

I'm generally dissappointed with girls who do aggressive vocals in bands, but there are a few that are decent (Broken Oath, Battle of Wolf 359, Punch).

'Aggressive' covers a lot of ground but The Slits, Siouxsie and The Banshees, ATR and Crystal Castles all spring to mind as bands I like with good aggressive female vocals. I guess a girl trying to sound like James Hetfield sounds as silly as a guy trying to sound like Kate Bush, though.