aberdeen-music

Girls In Bands

Lemonade

Why are there so few in them in Aberdeen these days? You go to the Moorings in a Saturday night, you watch 4 bands, you see 16 guys. Where are all the rock chicks? When did you last see a girl playing guitar or bass or drums in a local band?

Surely there's a few lasses out there who could put together an all girl rock band and re-start Riot Grrrl, put the lads to shame. Bring back the Rebel Jellybeans I say :down:

I see very few girls in most local scenes. It's weird. The drummer from an old Leeds grunge band called Kill Manticore was a girl. She smashed the drums to pieces as well. Terrifying.

The only girls in bands I can think of off the top of my head is the singer from Which Way Now and Marie Claire in Panda Eyes (who aren't a rock band).

Back in the early 2000s when pop punk was big and every teenager worth their salt had a pop punk band (seriously Aberdeen had about a zillion) there were a few girls on the scene then, but since then there haven't been many. There was The aforementioned Rebel Jellybeans, who were ace. Broken Sunshine, they were really good. There was a band that used to support Dos Dedos.... I can't remember their name but our singer was shagging their bassist. Cannot remember their name for the life of me. They were alright though. Anyway they had a female bassist and drummer, and I think the bassist went on to form an all-female ska band (Norman's Fetish maybe?) but I dunno what became of them.

And that's about all I can remember, really. Calling all girls - get your asses in to bands!

The only girls in bands I can think of off the top of my head is the singer from Which Way Now and Marie Claire in Panda Eyes (who aren't a rock band).

Back in the early 2000s when pop punk was big and every teenager worth their salt had a pop punk band (seriously Aberdeen had about a zillion) there were a few girls on the scene then, but since then there haven't been many. There was The aforementioned Rebel Jellybeans, who were ace. Broken Sunshine, they were really good. There was a band that used to support Dos Dedos.... I can't remember their name but our singer was shagging their bassist. Anyway they had a female bassist and drummer, and I think she went on to form an all-female ska band but I dunno if anything ever came of it. Cannot remember their name for the life of me.

And that's about all I can remember, really. Calling all girls - get your asses in to bands!

The brass players in ska punk bands are usually women. Pretty sure the hijacks have one (been ages since I saw em though so can't remember!) and their is some band from around here called One Night Stand who i've seen before who had a female singer. They might not be from Aberdeen though, Just checked and they're from Keith bebo.com - Profile from One Night Stand <ONSKeith>

But yeah overall not that many.

Isn't there a broad in the Hijacks? There you go. Thread contribution.

I've never seen a girl inside the walls of musical vision before. Ever. It must be like a WMC, where they are forced to wait outside, or are allowed in for the last 10 minututes if it's quiet and she sips her drink on the bog.

I've seen a girl or two in Captain Toms, but alot of bands that go there bring their mates and lasses, like some sort of shite school disco for twats. If my girlfriend was in a band, she can get to fuck if she thinks I'm sitting watching them go "so we'll do that again from the chorus" for 2 or 3 hours. I'm sure she wouldn't want to sit in on any of my jams either.

I really want to see more girls playing instruments and playing in bands, that's one of the reasons I booked Which Way Now for the Aberzine night. I'm also playing nothing but female-fronted music between bands. Bit of riot grrrl and that. Plus a great excuse to play Zombina & The Skeletones. Ooh, they used to have a female drummer, Kit Shivers. She was really good as well.

zombina.jpg

We have a female vocalist, so if you want to give as a gig or something that would be great. :up:

Seriously, it was something we always wanted since there were a lot of female Digital Hardcore performers and that stuff was a (big) influence on us. I'm not sure why there seems to be so many male performers as opposed to female ones. There are certainly a few female solo artists around. Maybe its because music, like sport, seems to be one of those things young men bond over?

Yeah I think that's them. Anyway they were nae bad.

Aye it was Battery Living.

Winter In Siberia have a girl member.

Are Greater The Shadow still going? They have a girl on guitar don't they?

How long before Jester comes into the thread and mentions Jo McCafferty?

It was a couple of years ago now but I played a gig with a band called Valentine and there were three girls and a bloke in that band. Not sure if they are still on the go and I'm assuming they were local.

Aye. I'm not sure if they're local or not but they have a song on the Exile CD from a few years ago called "This Town Is A Village", it's really fucking good. Shades of Bratmobile. Large shades.

Actually, Panda Eyes has had several lasses in that Jan has scared off/sacked. It seems Marie Claire is up to the challenge and sorts him out.

Jan's probably sacked more girls from his band than there are girls in Aberdeen bands. (and I mean sacked, not got in the sack)

I think one problem could be that any girl thinking of starting or joining a band in Aberdeen first checks this site and realises it's just all dudes talking about tits, fitba and stuff so they get scared off.....