aberdeen-music

R&B (the shop)

Lemonade

Does anyone know how receptive they are to "haggling" in there? Are the guitar/amp prices set in stone or is it worth trying to get them to knock a few quid off or maybe chuck in some freebies? :up:

The first time I bought an amp from there (when it was in Rosemount) they threw some tab books and a guitar strap in for free without me even asking, but I've never attempted to get them to do that again. I did manage to negotiate a bunch of free stuff from PC world last year though.

Man, us teuchters are tight.

Guest Gladstone

I would assume they can knock a bit off the marked price if you chance your luck. They do that in Bruce Millers.

I don't suspect they'll accept 300 Sega Megadrive games as payment though.

Guest Gladstone
i don't mind paying a little extra in R&B. supporting the local businesses innit.. use them or lose them

Bruce Millers is a local business too isn't it?

Nae saying BM > R&B or anything like - I like both in equal measures, and have purchased gear from both!

Guest davetherave

local shops

If your a regular customer, both shops are always open to a wee bit of haggling. It'll depend on how much your spending and how nicely you ask :up:

I agree about supporting your local shops, though I have to admit to buying a few things online. Cant resist the odd bargain on fleabay, though the bargains are getting harder to find.

I've actually got my last few purchases cheaper with RnB and BM!

aye, that's true, but it has always striked me as the kind of shop that feels like a franchise. In my experience with them i have found the staff to be utterly incompetent when making inquiries about gear and not only that but their prices are through the roof. i know i said i didn't mind paying a little extra... but 7.99 for a pack of ernie ball super slinky guitar strings is extortion. that's why i tend to favour R&B. do yous remember Prosound on holburn street? that was a great shop

Bruce Millers is a local business too isn't it?

Nae saying BM > R&B or anything like - I like both in equal measures, and have purchased gear from both!

Indeed Prosound was a fine establishment and indeed Mike's drum centre on Hutcheon street before that. Mike was a good lad, even bought my Fender amp from him when he was just at the drum centre - and he wasn't meant to deal in these things! Essentially that's what I tried to model my shop Rockapotmaus on, out at Inverurie. Unfortunately due to a distinct lack of local support, I had to put that to bed (of course mistakes were made - namely not quitting my day job to run the show myself) but that's in the past.

On the R&B note, I've never bought anything from them for years and years now. When I was giging real regular at the time and I went to replace my old mics and mic leads, I went in and asked for some help selecting what was best for me and I asked if there would be discount for cash, since I'd be taking up to 400 worth of gear. The guy told me to come back when I knew what I wanted - Prick. I went straight to Bruce Miller's and spoke to the only dude who knew his stuff, Duncan. He sorted out the stuff I needed and threw in the mic leads for free, because of what all I was taking.

Now I'm really quite cynical and I'm pretty much out for the best deal that I can get if I need any gear.

So chances are, when I do decide to go for a new Blackstar rig, it'll not be coming hame fae Miller's!

Guest Gladstone
aye, that's true, but it has always striked me as the kind of shop that feels like a franchise. In my experience with them i have found the staff to be utterly incompetent when making inquiries about gear and not only that but their prices are through the roof. i know i said i didn't mind paying a little extra... but 7.99 for a pack of ernie ball super slinky guitar strings is extortion. that's why i tend to favour R&B. do yous remember Prosound on holburn street? that was a great shop

I've always found the staff pretty decent in Bruce Millers. I'm pretty unknowledgeable though, so they've maybe just been speaking shite.

That boy Phil in the TV department is proper tool though.

(Never made it into Prosound - the place closed before I had a look in!)

I don't think I've ever bought anything from Bruce Millers, other than a couple of packets of strings here and there. I've certainly never bought an instrument from there. In fact I never even go in there when I'm looking for a new guitar. No real reason for it, I've just always shopped at R&B. All my guitars came from there I think.

Pro-Sound was superb. Really helpful friendly staff, and it was cheaper than the other two. Pity it closed down. Did Ash from Retro Rebels used to work there?

Guest Gladstone
I don't think I've ever bought anything from Bruce Millers, other than a couple of packets of strings here and there. I've certainly never bought an instrument from there. In fact I never even go in there when I'm looking for a new guitar. No real reason for it, I've just always shopped at R&B. All my guitars came from there I think.

Pro-Sound was superb. Really helpful friendly staff, and it was cheaper than the other two. Pity it closed down. Did Ash from Retro Rebels used to work there?

My current bass guitar came from Bruce Millers, and my amp from R&B. I'm a local hero.

Guest Gladstone
What are they both, out of interest?

Epiphone Thunderbird (sunburst)

Marshall B150 Solid State (or something - can't remember if that's the exact name) - sounds good, which is the main thing!!

There is a degree of flexibility in *almost* everything. The extent to which I can work any "deals" out depends 100% on what is being purchased because of different margins on different products.

PM me what you're after if you like and I'll do a little research :)

:up:

Done!

8char

I only ever bought my first bass and amp from a bricks and mortar shop (an Epiphone EB-3 and a little Laney 30W combo from Bruce Millers as it happens), but as my taste in instruments have changed, I have found the choice of basses on display rather poor in both R&B and BM to the point where I can't be bothered going in to having a look. I know more people play guitar than bass, it's just the reality of the situation, but that doesn't change the fact that it feels like bass is an afterthought. Prices are too steep too.

I get almost everything online now (usually can get strings next day for instance) and tend to buy instruments second hand, again usually at distance. More bang for your buck, and If I don't like it I sell it on. I usually get at least what I paid for it back, unless I've modified it.

Not to my knowledge, Shawn from Eric Euan was there for a while, and Neil the drummer did guitar repairs there too. A couple of others worked there for a time too, including me for one afternoon, but I never saw Ash there.

Guest Gladstone
For the record I bought the guitar for full price and didn't get anything with it - I suck at negotiating!

Being fae the Broch, you should really be able to walk into R&B and sneak that fucker out under your jacket.

Useless bastard.