aberdeen-music

Feelings while playing live??

SooperKeef

I used to shit myself in case I dropped a stick as it's pretty noticeable when the drummer fucks up. But I think that has only ever happened once when I've played live, happens quite frequently in practice for some reason. I don't really get nervous now. I like to have 2 pints before going on and then have a 3rd for consumption between songs. This is the perfect balance to be loose but not too much I had one extra pint before playing a gig with Kartta one time and played like an octopus with 8 dead arms and fucked up fills all over the shop.

Getting the balance of inebriation right is a very valid point aswell, 2/3 pints is probably what you're looking for to slacken up, any more than that is just looking for trouble.

My most heinous crime was whilst playing for Ascension many years back and knocking back about 8/9 pints of Guinness in Hog's Head pre-preformance, that probably wasn't pretty (I say probably because I barely remember a thing about that gig....)

Guest idol_wild
I had one extra pint before playing a gig with Kartta one time and played like an octopus with 8 dead arms and fucked up fills all over the shop.

You were probably still tighter than the rest!

I don't really get nervous in band situations, but I definitely do when it comes to solo gigs. And strangely, the smaller the crowd the more nervous I get. Thus, I am highly nervous at every gig I play.

When I play live I sort of get enveloped in my own little world. I don't really look at the audience when I play, I look at the end of the mic or close my eyes. It's not really self-indulgence, it's just the way I tend to listen to music - I enter a sort of zone where I just want to concentrate on listening, so I do it when I play too. It's an incredible feeling.

My banter is generally mince; I know I have to improve on that.

You should be an MC. Bruce Forsyth style.

Aye. See if I can score a gig as "hype man" for Debutant or Matricarians or something. Intermittently shouting in songs- "Mah boy Alan in da house!" etc etc.

Guest Gladstone
Onstage banter should be limited to 'thank you's and 'this song is called....'s.

Frontmen who babble are fucking annoying.

Adam's banter on Friday was great for the last song. "This is a little country bastard". I loved that.

Best bit of onstage banter I ever heard was delivered with a scowl by Debutant. Directed to the noisy bastards at the bar in a gig at Tunnels. "I hope you are in a fucking band so I can talk over your entire fucking set."

Brilliant.

Best bit was, they were too busy chatting to even notice he'd said anything, let alone at them.

Playing live can, on occasion, be as close to a religious experience as a non-believer such as myself can appreciate - comparable only to intense orgasm or good quality hallucinogenic drugs. (Sometimes it's pretty average, comparable to a half hearted wank or a quarter oonce o' Cooncil Rocky)

I never don't enjoy playing because I love hitting things and am often in a world of my own during songs. Thinking about what I'm playing is guaranteed to make me play it wrong. I rarely get nervous although I think if I was a front man I would.

My main problems I worry about are non-adjustable drum stools or snare stands - which mean I have to attack the drums at funny angles causing blistered hands - and sweat stinging my eyes. My other recent worry is how fucked my hearing is.

rehearse like hell > enjoy > don't take it too seriously > wear earplugs

I worry about little equipment things too. What if my powerpack won't reach my pedals? What if there are no spare outlets? I've only carted my amp head, I hope some cunt's got a cab. Fuck your combo. Batteries! Picks! Patch cables uggg....

I am also constantly surprised at how many venues didn't have 3 mic stands or even 3 mic's. In my old hardcore band where all 3 of us 'sang', we eventually had to fork out for a couple of mic stands and mic's. Alot of places only had one. Sometimes 2, and me and the bassist would share, like in a Rancid video. When there was only one stand, we would try and loop the cable around the light fitting, and let it dangle from the ceiling. Punx.

Onstage banter should be limited to 'thank you's and 'this song is called....'s.

Frontmen who babble are fucking annoying.

It's seriously not our fault. There's an awkward silence that needs broken while half of one's brain remembers the first couple of lines to the next song.

I worry about little equipment things too. What if my powerpack won't reach my pedals? What if there are no spare outlets? I've only carted my amp head, I hope some cunt's got a cab. Fuck your combo. Batteries! Picks! Patch cables uggg....

I'm afraid a pet hate of mine is people who just plug into my cab after I've finished soundchecking, assuming they can use it without so much as asking (not saying you do that like). And then not even bother to say thanks afterwards either.

Yeah man it's cool, you can just use a grands worth of gear without so much as needing to say thanks. Cunt.

I certainly ask before plugging in, as I hate that too. I had a guy just take my head from the backroom, plant it onto a cab and plug it in, then packed up his gear after his set and left it switched on, the cunt. I didn't see him or anything and only realised after he'd done and gone. I did want to chuck him down the stairs though.

It'd be a bit cramped if everyone brought a cab along, unless it was for all to share, and everyone got to play through a stack of about 8 cabs. Local unity, or what?

I'm afraid a pet hate of mine is people who just plug into my cab after I've finished soundchecking, assuming they can use it without so much as asking (not saying you do that like). And then not even bother to say thanks afterwards either.

Yeah man it's cool, you can just use a grands worth of gear without so much as needing to say thanks. Cunt.

This.

That is why I always unplug and take my head off stage when I'm finished soundchecking/playing. The amount of people that just assume it's free to use. Fuck right off!

:)

Never had someone use my gear without my consent thank god but I have noticed people helping themselves to the gear of the other guys in the bands I'm in. Christ allfuckingmighty rude bastards !

Yeah, I've seen people try to use other folks gear too and swiftly intervene especially when I know the person doesn't condone others just being presumptious.

I gladly let folk - like Fast Caz here :love: - use my stuff if need be. But, despite knowing the offer will always be there, he still always asks if he is in requirement.

Adam's banter on Friday was great for the last song. "This is a little country bastard". I loved that.

Best bit of onstage banter I ever heard was delivered with a scowl by Debutant. Directed to the noisy bastards at the bar in a gig at Tunnels. "I hope you are in a fucking band so I can talk over your entire fucking set."

Brilliant.

Best bit was, they were too busy chatting to even notice he'd said anything, let alone at them.

He didn't make it clear that it's a cover, though. That really annoyed me; it felt a little disingenuous. It's a traditional folk song called When The Roses Bloom Again, that we turned into a country rock bastard. The lyrics are not ours. Everybody has had a shot at it, many greater bands than us.

(Although our version is the nizzles).

Guest Gladstone
He didn't make it clear that it's a cover, though. That really annoyed me; it felt a little disingenuous. It's a traditional folk song called When The Roses Bloom Again, that we turned into a country rock bastard. The lyrics are not ours. Everybody has had a shot at it, many greater bands than us.

(Although our version is the nizzles).

You're kidding?? I thought it was your tune!

Ah well - it was fucking great anyway.