aberdeen-music

Good jobs/bad jobs

Was readin' the other day that Nando's is apparently now the happiest and most fulfilling place to work in the UK.

What have the been the best or worst places you've worked, or jobs you've had?

Best for me would be working as a Kitchen Porter. The actual labour was hard, long and poorly paid but working in a kitchen is awesome. The sexism, ladism and general banter made it feel like it was the seventies and the other workers seemed to care for each other, even if it got a bit stressful at times.

Worst job was probably working with my Dad. I actually enjoyed it for the best part but being around your Pop for that long always results in a lot of arguements.

Guest idol_wild

I really enjoyed a QHSE role I had at S P Darker Electronics in Aberdeen. Worked there for about 14 months; the office was full of really good people and I enjoyed the work. Sadly, the liquidators called last April. If that hadn't happened, I'd probably still be in Aberdeen working for them now.

And I don't even like careers.

I also really enjoyed working in One Up. I know it's a cliche, but working there was awesome. The pay was shit, but the staff and customers were great and it was just amazing to go to work knowing you'll be surrounded by music all day. Awesome discounts, too. I met some seriously seriously brilliant people through working there - not just fellow staff, but ex-staff, musicians, promoters, future staff, and all of their friends. Before working there, I hadn't really met many other music fans in my entire life.

My worst job? I haven't really hated any as I just like working. Possibly recent call centre work for Scottish Water during the big freeze. Some people can be very unreasonable when their water supply is cut off and it isn't Scottish Water's fault.

Best job - Curator at the National War Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh Castle. We had an armoury. When school trips visitied, I stormed into the room with a bren gun and a hand grenade. Genuinely amazing job, shite pay, but I loved it so much I named my band after it.

Worst job - Either working as a "chef" at the BHS Restaurant in the Wellgate Centre, Dundee or returning very briefly to NMS to work in the shop after I closed down my own musical instruments shop in 2007. They were bad, bad times and I don't even recognise myself from those days. My Mrs is an absolute saint for sticking with me through it.

Worst job had to be my first job at McDonalds because it's fucking McDonalds. Managers were shit, customers were shit, hours were shit, pay was shit. I worked there for a year when I was 16/17 and was delighted when I had a good excuse to quit.

Best job...probably the one I have now. I get paid over 10 an hour to turn up to lectures and take notes for students with disabilities. I don't do that many hours so I don't get paid that much, enough to get me by during my PhD. However, as far as easy goes..also I learn new things. Particularly about Celts, Druids, Pagans and Picts.

Guest idol_wild
Worst - football referee. By a million miles.

Why did you give it up?

I always thought you were one of the few proper refs down at Goals. You actually communicated to the players, which always helped.[/arse-licking]

I realised that I made more each in a night of DJing or playing poker online than I did in a reffing a dozen fitba games.

The Prais were also on the road a lot, meaning I struggled with the commitment.

It also played havoc with my relationship, because four nights a week I came home after eleven PM in a right fucking mood after reffing (read: being called a cunt continually) for hours. Most of the time it was water off a duck's back, but after a shit day at uni etc it could get me down.

Eventually I jacked it. Nae worth the hassle in the end. It was a shame because there were certain teams and games that I liked and respected, but too many whom I would have happily stabbed.

Worst: working concessions at UGC cinema, only job i ever walked out of. and i did telesales for ages so that's saying something.

Best: either one up or working as full-time family portrait photographer. One up was the a more fun lifestyle but doing family portraits was a more fun job. Shame the bosses were utter shit and i had no social life. So probalby One Up, crap pay but more good memories than any other job and a lot of great drunken adventures.

Worst - working in the coffee shop in Dobbies inbetween 1st and 2nd year uni. It was atrocious. 4.10 p/h for 10-12 hour days with a a teeny break. Really didn't enjoy it.

I would say my current job as a Social Worker is the best, for obvious reasons in that I studied for it and I've never earned this type of money before. But for all the good stuff there's a heap of not so good stuff and the media perception of Social Work doesn't help.

When I worked in Boots that was pretty good... Good discount!!! :)

I worked at Primark for a couple of Saturdays between finishing at Cineworld (which is my 2nd least favourite job ever..I used to work with Dave! Now that makes it sound like I didn't like working with Dave which is untrue. I worked with lots of lovely people at that job, some wankers too but some lovely people. Anyway, this is getting long.) and starting at Transition Extreme which was ace until I found I was working more hours than I could cope with while at Uni.

In short, Primark was HELL. No-one talked to me, I was treated like an idiot and it was just shit.

I worked at Primark for a couple of Saturdays between finishing at Cineworld (which is my 2nd least favourite job ever..I used to work with Dave! Now that makes it sound like I didn't like working with Dave which is untrue. I worked with lots of lovely people at that job, some wankers too but some lovely people. Anyway, this is getting long.) and starting at Transition Extreme which was ace until I found I was working more hours than I could cope with while at Uni.

In short, Primark was HELL. No-one talked to me, I was treated like an idiot and it was just shit.

aye, some of the people at the cinema were ace, but it was still a sucky sucky job.

No doubt. I was so happy when I finally quit. The final straw was being shunted into the Ben and Jerrys counter all summer long and being left on my tod for large periods of it. Still, something happened when I worked in the 'self-service' section that to this day makes me laugh until I cry. In fact, three things. Still, shite job and one place where the managers truly had a habit of treating their staff like idiots and talking down to them. I don't mind being told I've done a bad job, that's fine, I'll do better next time and meanwhile go fix it, but I do not want to be talked to like a five year old.

Ah a nother primark slave.. I don't know if you were there when I was trapped in that shit hole about 4 years ago me thinks..

Fired 3 times...hired back each time...due to the shocking staff turnover. The place was honestly a joke.

Again though, I made alot of friends there and knew a bunch of right douches. The changing rooms were the worst..the queues....my god the queues....*boom* thousand yard stare.

I'm pretty sure I gots the black lung from inhaling the plastic fumes coming off those lousy bags on hot days...(back before they changed to paper)

Worst job : Clydesdale Electric in Elgin. Can't believe the mean, miserable spaccy cunts who worked there. Pitiful people. I got fired for calling in sick blatantly from another city (was too noisy in Union St. phone box to be possibly Elgin)

Best job: Office Temp in San Francisco. Awesome. Even though most of the jobs were mediocre/crappy, I was usually wrecked on medical weed so I didn't care and I did get to work for Activision. And it's San Francisco for fucks sake.

Glad I'm not there now though.

Guest Gladstone

Worst job (by far) - I got a second job to try and boost my cash whilst I was at uni, at that 24 hour corner shop on Hutcheon Street. I lasted 2 shifts. I've never ever walked out of a job before, but that place fucking sucked. The customers were a mix of drug addicts and gay guys wanting to see what was under the counter (i.e. a bakers tray full of vibrators, I kid you not). The boss was a fucking moron as well. The worst thing about this is, because I walked out after just a couple of shifts, and never called them back, I never got paid! The second shift I did was something like 7pm-3am as well. Fucking mince.

Best job: I'll leave my current job out of it, because this is the job I spent years slogging away at uni to get to etc. Schuh was amazing back in the day. Great bunch of people, and the actual work was so much more fun than working in D2 (the only other "retail" job I've had) - when it was busy, it was fucking mental in that place. Properly hard work, which meant your shifts absolutely flew past, and the banter we had was brilliant. "Stockroom olympics" and such other delights. I used to do a rotation in the stockroom with Steven Milne, and we would write each other stories in the diary, just for a laugh. I once penned a "song" about the staff members, complete with naming all the hot birds etc. The fucking twat that he is, showed the assistant manager, and when I came in for my next shift, EVERYONE in the store had seen it!! Bastards. I never grudged going in there for a shift, even with some of the stinking hangovers I had on Sundays!!

Working in the local butcher when I was still at school was also brilliant. Just the owner, the apprentice who was one of my best mates, and me - hard work most of the time, but we all got on really well, and banter with the locals in the wee shop.

Worst- 3 way tie between;

BT-Faults 151- 9 months of contradictory pish, from sock-sucking (Tevez tm) morons, some nice staff, but mainly knobs.

Aberdeen Airport- SLF Bars, mainly Domestic Departure Lounge. Watch every other fucker flying off somewhere ace, while taking contradictory pish from morons, for crap cash, from 1-9. SLF Macclesfield HQ CUNTS.

Grampian Soil Surveys- Analysing fucking earth and soil and shit for a skinflint old Tory fuck, in Torry (Key quote; "What I said to Malcom Rifkind at the conference was..." or "Nicholas Fairbairn is misunderstood"...CUNT).

Best Job

RGU Union, particularly during the institution we knew as; Sambucca Time, usually after midnight, knock it back, bingo.

Current job at large Library in Glasgow, say no more.

Best - working on a campsite in catalunia... Hard work in the morning, beach and a game of tennis in the afternoon, getting KBed by the local woman and settling for a loose English girl at night. It was an ace job.

Worst - Working in a cafeteria within the offices of an oil company. I've never felt more looked down upon. Loads of awful HR women on total power trips and folk who were clearly idiots who did nothing all day except drink coffee, all whilst I'm ruing the fact it was the only job I could get after uni. We worked twice as hard as anyone in there and got zero respect.

Worst - Working in a cafeteria within the offices of an oil company. I've never felt more looked down upon. Loads of awful HR women on total power trips and folk who were clearly idiots who did nothing all day except drink coffee, all whilst I'm ruing the fact it was the only job I could get after uni. We worked twice as hard as anyone in there and got zero respect.

I completely agree on this - there's loads of people in oil companies who walk around all day drinking coffee and trying to look busy when in reality they do fuck all work.

The catering staff at my job work their arse off and I know they do, so I try to show them some respect.

I completely agree on this - there's loads of people in oil companies who walk around all day drinking coffee and trying to look busy when in reality they do fuck all work.

The catering staff at my job work their arse off and I know they do, so I try to show them some respect.

Way to go bro! With some people, as soon as they see you in an apron they think you're an idiot or just don't bother talking to you. There were a lot of people there who were spot on but they were definitely in the minority/actually worked instead of drinking coffee so I never saw them. It was maybe the first time I'd had a proper experience of social status. The guy I worked with was a qualified lawyer in Nigeria but couldn't serve coffee for peanuts, he got patronised a lot worse than me.