aberdeen-music

King Crimson

Guest Sundaram

Guest Sundaram
I saw King Crimson live in 71....it was great (Hookfoot' date=' featuring Caleb Quaye, were the support).[/quote']

Would that have been on July 15th at the Watford Town Hall?

crimson-71-600.jpg

If so that would have been this line up.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

King Crimson rock. Great live album is "Cirkus; A young person's guide to king crimson live"

First cd focusses on their 80s stuff, which i think is totally awesome. Crazy energetic songs like "Elephant Talk" and "Thela Hun Ginjeet" totally do it for me.

Second cd is their earlier career, but admittedly the recording quality isn't great on the cd 2.

But i'd buy the cd if only for cd one. The 80s songs sound much, much, much better live, with certain backing vocals removed from "Three of a perfect pair" (really makes the difference in the song!)

Also i never really heard zappas music as prog either. I don't really know how to put it in words, but i get a feel from prog rock thats different from the feel of Zappa.

Also, anyone heard Fripp's stuff he did with "The League of Crafty Guitarists". I recommend you look into the song "A connecticut Yanky in the court of king arthur". I laugh every time i hear it.

They don't suck. Tool are heavily influenced by King Crimson. They are the first to admit this. Talking of Tool' date=' Adrian Belew from King Crimson has formed a band with Danny Carey and the bassist from Primus[/quote']

Music is all about opinion and i do think they suck, ive heard their material so dont try and preach to me what i can and cant like

Lets see' date=' King Crimson basically invented a new sub genre of rock music(ie: Art/Progressive Rock), upped the standard of playing in bands, innovated music and continue to do so after more than 30 years and have wrote loads of classic songs!

Tool have...?[/quote']

I heard both and ive made my opinion its as simple as that. Am i not aloud to express my opinion on these boards?

Obviously not

Guest Sundaram
It was indeed......I remember being impressed with Formentera Lady. The same week I went to see Sha Na Na' date=' Manfred Mann, Come to the Edge and Heaven at the Roundhouse, all dresed up in my tie-dye top, sandals and acne.[/quote']

So you looked like Mel Collins then hehe!?

Guest Sundaram
yeh i've always meant to get into some fripp' date=' i've got a couple of tracks with Eno and Fripp composing together but my uncle said hes got some damn good stuff. my uncle also mentioned some of Micheal Giles colaberation stuff to be good...[/quote']

Michael Giles is an amazing drummer, the best in my opinion, great song writer and a cool singer as well.

Check out the album he recorded with fellow ex- crim Ian McDonald 'McDonald & Giles' from 1970 and his solo album 'Progress' rom 1978 or there abouts, both available on cd...

erm, from all good record shops. lol

Michael Giles is an amazing drummer' date=' the best in my opinion, great song writer and a cool singer as well.

Check out the album he recorded with fellow ex- crim Ian McDonald 'McDonald & Giles' from 1970 and his solo album 'Progress' rom 1978 or there abouts, both available on cd...

erm, from all good record shops. lol[/quote']

thanks will do... do reckon they have it in fopp for a 5er...

he is a damn good drummer.

but has anyone heard any pigmy love circus?? just cause danny carey (tool) is the drummer for that band, he is quite a mighty man.

Guest Sundaram
thanks will do... do reckon they have it in fopp for a 5er...

he is a damn good drummer.

but has anyone heard any pigmy love circus?? just cause danny carey (tool) is the drummer for that band' date=' he is quite a mighty man.[/quote']

Fopp had the 'McDonald & Giles' album for 5 recently, not sure if it's still there!

Guest Sundaram
I remember hearing good things about Exposure' date=' but never heard the actual album.

Years ago I thought 'Frippertronics' must have been something terribly complicated, but no doubt some of you can tell me what was actually used. Phil?[/quote']

The 'original' Frippertronics was two Revox tape machines, but these days its all digital!

http://www.danbbs.dk/~m-bohn/fripp/

http://www.harsmedia.com/Amphibious/Projects/sigsym.html

Guest Sundaram
Wish I'd known about the 2 tape trick a few years ago. I used to have 2 Revoxes (I've still got an early 60s G36 which I love' date=' but I gave my B77 to Cavern Mike).[/quote']

The early KC ie: Giles, Giles & Fripp(with Ian McDonald & Judy Dyble) recorded demos on an F36 Revox which are now available on CD as 'Giles, Giles & Fripp: The Brondesbury Tapes 1968'.

Alan your generosity will be your down fall. :bat:

Guest Sundaram
Yes...it looks a bit complicated (and expensive' date=' too.......Toyah must be getting plenty of work!). :popcorn:[/quote']

No wonder he's fit and in good health, what with all the tap dancing he must do onstage... all from the comfort of his comfy stool of course!

• 9 months later...

Wow, I never suspected such antics had been afoot in the dark times of before-I-registered-here!

That clip is far out :cheers: I just realised how cool it would be to have seen KC live! And Bill Bruford is well cute :kiss: D'ya know if there's somewhere to download the rest of that programme?

Listening to Starless and Bible Black now :rockon: