aberdeen-music

King Crimson

Guest Sundaram

Guest Sundaram

79e17a28e2.jpg

There is and has been a King Crimson book availabe for awhile now detailing the bands history and the recording of classic albums such as 'In the Court of the Crimson King' and 'Larks Tongues in Aspic' etc. It's a great read, I reccomend it highly for any fan of the band.

There is also a website supporting the book with lots of reviews and various other interesting bits and pieces here: http://www.inthecourtofkingcrimson.com/index.php?36

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thrak' date=' one of the recent lp's, was pretty crazy, I remember putting it on in one up...didn't last long...

I can see where TOOL got their later works "inspiration" from...[/quote']

i think they did well with that inspiration. the salival record is quite damn good, although i heard they weren't as consistant live as it seems.

• 1 month later...
Guest Sundaram

Hm, never been a fan of the 80's era until I recently saw a song on the 'Old Grey Whistle Test'. The song is 'Frame by Frame' my oh my Fripp's fingers can fairly move!!!

I really like the 80's King Crimson stuff! It takes a bit of getting use to but it really grows on you. There's a live Crimson album called Absent Lovers which is from a show they played in 1984 that was the last gig King Crimson did till they reformed in the 90's. Its worth checking out as it has the best songs from the three albums they released in the 80's, some songs from the 70's such as Red and Larks Tongues in Aspic part 2 and a really cool atonal instrumental thing.

Could never see why king crimson were so good' date=' tool for me are way superior.

Although the two have toured together i could never say a bad thing about tool and on the other hand i think king crimson suck[/quote']

They don't suck. Tool are heavily influenced by King Crimson. They are the first to admit this. Talking of Tool, Adrian Belew from King Crimson has formed a band with Danny Carey and the bassist from Primus

Guest Sundaram
an early live recording of king crimson appeared under the name Earthbound' date=' however

the fantastic qualities & sonics of their early studio recordings could never be replicated live[/quote']

I think they were/are far better live than in the studio, especially the first 1969 formation of the band!!!

Guest Sundaram
Could never see why king crimson were so good' date=' tool for me are way superior.

Although the two have toured together i could never say a bad thing about tool and on the other hand i think king crimson suck[/quote']

Lets see, King Crimson basically invented a new sub genre of rock music(ie: Art/Progressive Rock), upped the standard of playing in bands, innovated music and continue to do so after more than 30 years and have wrote loads of classic songs!

Tool have...?

Guest Sundaram
Surely Zappa and the Mothers have a better claim to have invented the genre. By the time KC had their first album out' date=' Zappa had recorded the Lumpy Gravy, Uncle Meat, Burnt Weeny Sandwich and Weasels Ripped My Flesh albums. All works with classical/jazz inflections presented in a "rock" setting, performed by academically trained musicians.

But you're right about Tool.[/quote']

Hmmm interesting, but to me, Frank Zappa's stuff just isn't Prog Rock for some reason, I've always heard his stuff as Avante Garde Clasical/Jazz Rock/Doo Wop etc, if you get what I mean.

Where as King Crimson has the undeniable flavour of, well Prog.

Good point though!

well you see early tool isnt all that prog... they started it more in aenima then ofcourse evident in the live stuff 'salival' and 'lateralus...

king crimson are very defining i cant honestly imagine what it must have been like back when they first were recognised... it would have been so curazy. but then ENO is another man to be considered when it comes to prog stuff not neccessarily rock ofcourse, but the guy is also way ahead of his time.

Guest Sundaram
Has anyone heard the album No Pussy Footing that Robert Fripp and Brian Eno recorded together? Its made up of two 20 minute pieces which are both soundscapes. I really like it but I don't think its for everyone!

Yeh I have that, I love it, a friend also has a bootleg of them live from 1975, sound's bloody amazing... but people boo'd them would you believe, fools!

I believe Robert Fripp has suffered booing and heckling on the recent G3 tour, audiences dont seem to appreciate his beautiful soundscaping before a Vai/Satriani wank sesh!