aberdeen-music

THE SCHOOL + Allo, Darlin' + Deportees + Flora Cook - Sun 14 Mar @ Tunnels

rcalder82

Great night (cept for Tunnels being freezing as usual these days) Flora opened the night off well, both touring bands were a joy to watch, seemed to be enjoying themselves and just make such wonderful pop music. Deportees were a nice surprise, very prog at times - the 2nd song reminded me of what I imagine Peter Gabriel would sound like if he did reggae, I look forward to seeing them again. Wish there was a bigger turnout though...

o_OProg! Cripes! I can safely say that we've never been called that before!

Ty ty to all who came along last night. I missed Flora's set - arrived just as she was finishing up. but thoroughly loved The School and Allo Darling. Lovely lovely people too - a thoroughly enjoyable gig.

It was a pleasure to play the Tunnels again - first time in three years. Once we settled in it was great - probably our best gig yet IYAM.

Thanks again to all those who came down.

Great night (cept for Tunnels being freezing as usual these days) Flora opened the night off well, both touring bands were a joy to watch, seemed to be enjoying themselves and just make such wonderful pop music. Deportees were a nice surprise, very prog at times - the 2nd song reminded me of what I imagine Peter Gabriel would sound like if he did reggae, I look forward to seeing them again. Wish there was a bigger turnout though...

There was just short of a hundred people through the door over the night. Maybe not all there for all bands, but for a Sunday night for essentially unsigned bands I was pretty pleased with the turn out to be honest.

Thought Flora was really good and opened the show well, What I saw of Allo, Darlin' was fantastic but some knob head traffic warden made me move the tour bus during their set :(

Loved Deportees again. By far the best Aberdeen band at the minute by a country mile in my opinion. And as expected after years of trying to get The School up here and a few cancellations in the past, it was a joy! Great night all round and everyone was really nice and good fun too, which always helps!

Thanks to everyone who came.

Gig reviewed by regular poaster Nev:

When I go along to a gig and feel absolutely compelled to write about it, you know it must have been thoroughly enjoyable. And let me tell you, thats a massive understatement.

Deportees could perhaps be described as something of an Aberdeen supergroup. Take two parts Eddison (singer/guitarist Adam K and guitarist Rick), Adam Mo from 10 Easy Wishes, Edgar Prais drummer Christy and erstwhile keys player Diarmaid, add ridiculous harmonies and a few monster riffs. Spin and repeat. Theyre a bit good.

This evening, theyre support to Welsh indiepop wizards (and wizardesses) The School, along with Flora Cook and the brilliantly named Allo, Darlin. Sadly a busy night of meetings and football writing meant I could only catch a little of Allo, Darlins ukelele-laden set and, the main attraction in my eyes, Deportees.

If youve not seen them before, opening track First Breath of the Day provides quite an introduction. Three of the quintet unleash those harmonies,with only the merest hint of percussion to keep time, before Adam Ks powerful voice joins the fray. Its a good 75 seconds before the keys ease their way in, but when the rest of the band kicks in thirty seconds later, by God do they kick in.

Although their folk and country references are there for all to see, theres nothing Deportees like more than to rock out, and theyve got the blend between those influences and the rock tendencies nailed down.

After the crashing crescendo of the opening track, they launch into the rootsy reggae blast of Lover Dont Feel So Sad, and you cant help be drawn in by the beautiful somebody loves you hook. Even this early in the set, if youre not absolutely awestruck, then your soul must be with Lucifer in the seventh layer of Hell.

The tight-sounding Tongue Cant Tell keeps you hooked, before Adam Mo ditches his bass in favour of the folk-tinged Stay The Night, but you wont hear Robbie Shepherd introducing this on a Saturday night. Theres that wall of sound again, looming large in front of you, and theres really no escaping now.

The fiddle is swiftly put back down as Adam K introduces an as-yet-untitled track. This has been called Big Marching Drum One, or just Bastard, he says. Well go with Bastard. I like Bastard. I like Bastard too, Mr Keenan. Very much so.

The catchy song comes to an end to rapturous applause from the respectable crowd, and Deportees launch into a brand new song. I didnt catch the name of it, but by god (yes, Im running out of superlatives and recycling them) its rocking. Massive chords and a none-too-shabby Keith Moon impersonation from Christy see to that.

Alas, time flies when youre having fun and before long Adam K is crooning set closer When The Roses Bloom Again, a cover of a Woody Guthrie track with an interesting history.

Just three gigs in, and theres already more than a whisper about Deportees being the best local band in years. On this showing, it wont be long before they take that crown and run with it, leaving a marker way off in the distance. Fair play to them.

SOURCE:Gig Review: The Deportees (March 14th) | iamnev

Deportees are my favourite band in Aberdeen just now. They are also the best. I recommend going to see them...

I have not missed a single gig of their's yet, not because my girlfriend's flatmate is Christy's girlfriend, but because they are that damn good. I nearly didn't go to this as I am short on cash but I am glad I did. The keys finally came through, thay had not done so at the two prior Drummonds gigs, and it made it all even better! Listen to this review as it is very accurate. It is a shame Christy is a cunt.