aberdeen-music

Genealogy Thread

Wanderer

All of them: Glasgow

sorry to be so dull.

More interestingly Alan's story, how on earth have i never heard of an air raid over aberdeen before? that sounds the kind of thing that would leave all kinds of stories?

i thought banchory was a good school, do they not teach you history these days?

Another interesting snippet,.....

I was told that part of the wall round the carpark next to the Moorings is a bit of the original harbour wall, on which suspected witches were chained and drowned.

Also....the position of the gallows is still marked by cobbles. Mary Queen of Scots watched an execution on them from a house which used to be next door to the Old Blackfriars pub (it was demolished to create Marischal Street.

Guest idol_wild

Also, the Vue cinema is built on top of the old ABC cinema, which, in turn, was built on the site of an old monastery. Apparently there still exists loads of catacombs in the depths below.

During my brief spell at Vue, staff would frequnetly tell of seeing dark monastic-like figures in certain screens.

Yes...there were various monasteries, I believe. One was in the area of the Green, I think. (might've been the Black Friars). I nicked this about executions from Aberdeen Journals....

Castle Hill and Heading Hill were places of judgement and execution, as during the witch-burning frenzy of 1590-7. The name Heading Hill appears on old maps, but seems to have fallen into disuse. Open-air courts were held in the hollow between the two hills, now occupied by Commerce St., whilst executions and witch-burnings took place on the Heidin Hill. The other main place of execution was in front of the Tolbooth, latterly facing down Marischal St. Although the Tolbooth known satirically as The Mids o Mar, meaning the heart of the province of Mar was the town prison, it had only limited capacity, and it cost too much to keep convicts in prison for long. So convicted criminals were mostly executed. The aristocracy were beheaded, by sword or, later, by Aberdeens own patent guillotine, the Maiden, last used in 1615; the blade is on display in Provost Skenes House in the Guestrow. Common criminals were hanged. The Town Hangman was allocated a small, isolated house on what became known as Hangmans Brae, which descended the Castle Hill to the present vicinity of Virginia St. and which presumably corresponded to the flight of steps to be seen there now. The office of Public Executioner was abolished in 1833 when the Council decided that it would be cheaper to hire such a person from somewhere else, as and when needed. In the event, the last public execution in Aberdeen took place in 1857.

Guest idol_wild
I was also told that plague victims were 'stored' in the rooms under Cafe Drummond.

Aberdeen's first BBC radio station was in Belmont Street, too.

Given the aroma in that place, I reckon they're still being 'stored' there.

Does Drummonds serve food yet?

• 1 month later...
I was also told that plague victims were 'stored' in the rooms under Cafe Drummond.

Aberdeen's first BBC radio station was in Belmont Street, too.

Bubonic Plague was around in the 17th century, Union Street was levelled in the 19th centrury as far as I know. I'm not sure the non-modern history of the Belmont Street buildings other than No 17.

Back in the days of steam radio, the station 2BD was at 17 Belmont Street, where One Up and the ethnic cafe are now. There's an article on the Leopard magazine website about the BBC history. There are several articles and advertisement in old Leopard magazines about the BBC's landlord but you'd need to search the microfiche records, though the records may be computerised now.

Bubonic Plague was around in the 17th century, Union Street was levelled in the 19th centrury as far as I know. I'm not sure the non-modern history of the Belmont Street buildings other than No 17.

Back in the days of steam radio, the station 2BD was at 17 Belmont Street, where One Up and the ethnic cafe are now. There's an article on the Leopard magazine website about the BBC history. There are several articles and advertisement in old Leopard magazines about the BBC's landlord but you'd need to search the microfiche records, though the records may be computerised now.

I wrote a song called 'The ghosts of 2BD' a few years ago (it's on my 'Distant Voices, Distant Songs' set, alongside one or 2 other Belmont St related songs.)

Talking of broadcasting stations, I recently found out that STV have no tapes of the 70s 'Marc Time' show done by Grampian, and that my cassettes of 2 of the shows may be the only evidence left.

I wrote a song called 'The ghosts of 2BD' a few years ago (it's on my 'Distant Voices, Distant Songs' set, alongside one or 2 other Belmont St related songs.)

Talking of broadcasting stations, I recently found out that STV have no tapes of the 70s 'Marc Time' show done by Grampian, and that my cassettes of 2 of the shows may be the only evidence left.

I'm interested in hearing or at least reading the lyrics for that. Admittedly I'm hoping for a derogatory mention of pegleg.

• 3 weeks later...