aberdeen-music

Genealogy Thread

Wanderer

So my sister was researching family geneology its quite interesting actually surprisingly, so came up with this idea for a thread, places of birth only unless you can or want to put in years

M: Mothers Place of birth

MM: Mothers Mother's place of birth

MF: Mothers Fathers Place of Birth

MGM: Mothers Grandmothers place of birth

MGM: Mothers Grandfathers Place of birth

F: dads Place of birth

FM: dads Mother's place of birth

FF: dads Fathers Place of Birth

FGM: dads Grandmothers place of birth

FGF: dads Grandfathers Place of birth

M: Aberdeen

MM: Aberdeen

MF: Aberdeen

MGM: Aberdeen, Trondheim

MGF: Ullapool, Elgin

F: Liverpool

FM: Liverpool

FF: Liverpool

FGM: Liverpool, Cork

FGF: Liverpool, Fahmagusta

• Upvote 2

M: Lanark

MM: Glasgow

MF: Glasgow

F: Torphins

FM: Cheadle Hulme

FF: Laurencekirk

1/4 Kincardineshirian, 1/4 Sassenach, 1/2 Weegie

That's all I know and I'll be damned if it ain't that interesting. Hopefully I'll find out more and ascertain I've got a tint of the Slovak and the Zulu in me.

Aberdeen

Peterhead area

Aberdeen

Buchan somewhere

Poss. Cruden Bay

Laurencekirk

Stonehaven

Laurencekirk

Laurencekirk

Laurencekirk

Again.....not very rivetting, but I recently found out my Laurencekirk Grandad was in the Inniskillen Rifles, which was a bit of a shock, as it's a wee bit out of the way. The rest of my family never seem to have wandered more than 30-odd miles from here :up:

Both Great-grandad's were ploughmen, then one ended up at Rubislay Quarry, and the other was 'town's officer' at Laurencekirk (swept the streets, rang a bell & shouted news, worked in the jail etc).

Wonder if they'll find him when they drain it..

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few bodies in there........but my great-grandad is buried at Allenvale, I think. The granite dust fucked his lungs, so he eventually moved to a job at the Hazlehead nuseries (where he was nearly machine-gunned to death).

Guest Gladstone
M: Strichen

MM: Fraserburgh

MF: Strichen

MGM: Strichen

MGM: Strichen

F: Colac, Australia

FM: Melbourne, Australia

FF: Yarawonga, Australia

FGM: Wexford, Ireland

FGF: Eniscorthy Ireland

Did you grow up in Strichen??

I don't know further back than my grandparents, but looks like this:

M: Glasgow

MM: New Deer

MF: Aberdeen

F: New Deer

FM: New Deer

FF: New Deer

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few bodies in there........but my great-grandad is buried at Allenvale, I think. The granite dust fucked his lungs, so he eventually moved to a job at the Hazlehead nuseries (where he was nearly machine-gunned to death).

I'm sorry but you can't leave us hanging and not tell that story!

Are you sitting comfortably?,...Then I'll begin........

There was a German air-raid on Aberdeen, and whe it was over my Gran was waiting anxiously for the various members of the family to return home. She was particularly worried about my mum who was working at the harbour (in an office!) and my auntie who was dowtown with pals. Turns out my mum was on a tram making her way home when the 'plane strafed Union St....all the folk dived off the tram and sheltered in 'The Monkey Hoose' doorway (which was then a bank).

After the 'all-clear' she toddled home, to be greeted with relief. Gradually other family members arrived and my gran relaxed. The only person she wasn't concerned about was her father who was working at the nuseries at Hazlehead, assuming it was so far out of the town centre it was perfectly safe.

Needless to say, she was wrong......the plane had machine-gunned up Union Street and continued out along Queen's Road.....reaching the Hazlehead area just as my great-grandad was toddling home for dinner. Recognising him as a potential threat, and enemy of the Reich, the plane opened fire. Great-grandad was an old man, but found a reserve of strength to quickly loup the roadside dyke and avoid getting ripped to bits, tearing a ligament in his leg in the process.

Afterwards he limped home, swearing loudly, and was somewhat disappointed to learn that nobody had been worried about him.

The End

• Upvote 1

Are you sitting comfortably?,...Then I'll begin........

There was a German air-raid on Aberdeen, and whe it was over my Gran was waiting anxiously for the various members of the family to return home. She was particularly worried about my mum who was working at the harbour (in an office!) and my auntie who was dowtown with pals. Turns out my mum was on a tram making her way home when the 'plane strafed Union St....all the folk dived off the tram and sheltered in 'The Monkey Hoose' doorway (which was then a bank).

After the 'all-clear' she toddled home, to be greeted with relief. Gradually other family members arrived and my gran relaxed. The only person she wasn't concerned about was her father who was working at the nuseries at Hazlehead, assuming it was so far out of the town centre it was perfectly safe.

Needless to say, she was wrong......the plane had machine-gunned up Union Street and continued out along Queen's Road.....reaching the Hazlehead area just as my great-grandad was toddling home for dinner. Recognising him as a potential threat, and enemy of the Reich, the plane opened fire. Great-grandad was an old man, but found a reserve of strength to quickly loup the roadside dyke and avoid getting ripped to bits, tearing a ligament in his leg in the process.

Afterwards he limped home, swearing loudly, and was somewhat disappointed to learn that nobody had been worried about him.

The End

That is quite cool, but bloody scary at the same time.

:up:

Is is strange that I have absolutely no idea where my grandparents were born?

Could be. I'm the same though, I know very little about my family history. My (maternal) Granny was a Kennedy which is the only local ancestry I have. My dad's side is from London... beyond that it's very vague.

More interestingly Alan's story, how on earth have i never heard of an air raid over aberdeen before? that sounds the kind of thing that would leave all kinds of stories?

Er, it did. Aberdeen was the most bombed city in Scotland during World War 2.

Just the other month there was national publicity for a display of photographs from the police archives showing the aftermath of German raids on the city.

BBC News - Aberdeen Blitz bombing images from 1943 unveiled