aberdeen-music

Prs

jon

When Genevieve were considering signing up a number of years ago we agreed on a 25% share each as there was a lot of effort put in from all parties when we were coming up with songs. In truth as Kenny wrote the majority of the lyrics he probably should've ended up with 50% in all actuality but he is a nice guy and appreciated that we all played a massive part in the way things came out.

I'd be much happier with that sort of arrangement against somebody taking a lions share, even if i was the major contributor on the songs.

Most bands do and it works just fine. It does, however, cause arguments and problems and bands to split up when getting into the realms of recording and publishing deals.

Most bands do and it works just fine. It does, however, cause arguments and problems and bands to split up when getting into the realms of recording and publishing deals.

Totally, but if you have a legal agreement between band members that point is moot.

However, we all know things can easily go up the shitter with bands, it's all happened to us before.

Guest Gladstone

Just out of curiousity more than anything...

You get cash for radioplay right? How does PRS know your song's been played on the radio? Do stations have to submit playlists to PRS or something?

Also - I just saw Mike from IRL posting on Facebook that he can't find his "Tunecode" for claiming back PRS cash. Anyone on here know where he can find it??

Is it worth The Underkills registering on PRS? We are currently averaging about 3/4 gigs a year, and have been played on the radio a handful of times, and that I know of, we've been featured on one podcast. We've made 2 festival appearances. There should be more gigs, and with it, hopefully some festival appearances next year and beyond.

You get cash for radioplay right? How does PRS know your song's been played on the radio? Do stations have to submit playlists to PRS or something?

Also - I just saw Mike from IRL posting on Facebook that he can't find his "Tunecode" for claiming back PRS cash. Anyone on here know where he can find it??

Is it worth The Underkills registering on PRS? We are currently averaging about 3/4 gigs a year, and have been played on the radio a handful of times, and that I know of, we've been featured on one podcast. We've made 2 festival appearances. There should be more gigs, and with it, hopefully some festival appearances next year and beyond.

A festival will require a PRS license and therefore your entitled to a royalty which boils down to a percentage of the gate. It cost nowt to join so no harm in doing so.

I advocate joining to all that are at a gigging stage.

Radio stations pay their license tom PRS. They will submit paperwork, tracking system that allows the license fee and royalties to be divided up between PRS members. It used to be that the big, stars, earners would get the lion share but it is now an equal playing field and all get the relative share against audience size.

It comes down to audience sizes so prime time radio 1 air play, around 19 per minute will be substantially more than that of SHMU FM...

You don't sign up as a band, its an individual thing, but you could just sign one person up, claim they write absolutely everything, then split the money between the band.

In terms of radio, if your CDs have been released and have ISRC codes, they track to PRS. Otherwise radio stations have to submit playlists ect to the PRS. You can also make claims if you feel the PRS has missed a royalty.

From when you sign up, you can back date PRS by 6 months, so if you played a festival 6 months ago, then you will still be able to collect some royalties.

You don't sign up as a band, its an individual thing, but you could just sign one person up, claim they write absolutely everything, then split the money between the band.

That was a process used when it was 100 to join, makes no sense to do that these days.

PRS is there to collect money for its members, and if you are a member you will get your due money. Simples :)

That was a process used when it was 100 to join, makes no sense to do that these days.

Well they take 10 pounds of your first royalty payment, so there is no point in signing up the 5 members of your band as you'd lose 50 pounds from your first payment. In Calums' case, they arn't going to have generated a huge amount so taking 50 pounds off it would be a fair dent.

Well they take 10 pounds of your first royalty payment, so there is no point in signing up the 5 members of your band as you'd lose 50 pounds from your first payment. In Calums' case, they arn't going to have generated a huge amount so taking 50 pounds off it would be a fair dent.

That brings it full circle back to ownership of the song/songs As longs as they can assure themselves of no acrimonious split down the line.

All I'm offering is sound advice that will be offered by any music manager or lawyer.

I've experienced first hand and seen friends that are doing quite well, have problems about ownership and royalties, almost to the point of splitting a damn good band. All this can be avoided entirely with a good band agreement and the cash equivalent of three pints each or one gig fee.

On a side note, I provided live drums recorded to be used as loops for a mates band. I'm all over one of their albums, no royalty but I got a fee for my time and a name checked on the album. The fee was of secondary concern :up:

In terms of radio, if your CDs have been released and have ISRC codes, they track to PRS. Otherwise radio stations have to submit playlists ect to the PRS. You can also make claims if you feel the PRS has missed a royalty.

From when you sign up, you can back date PRS by 6 months, so if you played a festival 6 months ago, then you will still be able to collect some royalties.

How do you imbed these into a track? Is it straightforward? Is there much point in doing it if you are going to self-release CDs?

How do you imbed these into a track? Is it straightforward? Is there much point in doing it if you are going to self-release CDs?

I think you can buy them, then when you get them duped you can have the put on at extra cost i think. I need to look into it more. Depends what you are expecting from the release i guess, if it is going to receive a lot of air play, then yes i reckon it'd be a good thing to have.