aberdeen-music

fat hippy turns shit

Guest hexagram56

Guest hexagram56

hippy

ok ok i know fat hippy is a non profit label and they help local band bla bla bla, but has anyone noticed how much crap that label puts out, ok the x-cert are dudes but not all the other bands, i was told boss star (who i think are 1 of the better ones) have only sold 5 copys in stores.

summer of fat was a bad idea, they should stop releasing so much artists over a short space of time.

ok ok i know fat hippy is a non profit label and they help local band bla bla bla' date=' but has anyone noticed how much crap that label puts out, ok the x-cert are dudes but not all the other bands, i was told boss star (who i think are 1 of the better ones) have only sold 5 copys in stores.

summer of fat was a bad idea, they should stop releasing so much artists over a short space of time.[/quote']

So what odds is it to you that some of the material they release is (in you're opinion) crap?

No one is force feeding you any of it.....are they?

ok ok i know fat hippy is a non profit label and they help local band bla bla bla' date=' but has anyone noticed how much crap that label puts out, ok the x-cert are dudes but not all the other bands[/quote']

Crap? They're wonderfully diverse - I love the whole concept that an artist who will make money for the label goes towards funding others to have releases. How many labels would dare go from Karloff to Amy Sawyers to My Minds Weapon?

i was told boss star (who i think are 1 of the better ones) have only sold 5 copys in stores.

summer of fat was a bad idea' date=' they should stop releasing so much artists over a short space of time.[/quote']

If the money is there and it's allowing lots of people/bands to have releases, why not? It can't hurt to have more and more professionally produced EP's/albums out there from local bands - and, uh, who the hell are boss star anyway? I've never heard of them personally - so is it really a surprise that they're not selling much?

Guest highroller

you are, im afraid, full of shit.

With such a diverse roster the it doesnt matter how often Fat Hippy puts out releases from bands. If you stopped to think about that then you would have come to that not so hard conclusion.

Oh and for the record: Just because one band sells that amount doesnt mean all the bands are...believe me.

ok ok i know fat hippy is a non profit label and they help local band bla bla bla' date=' but has anyone noticed how much crap that label puts out, ok the x-cert are dudes but not all the other bands, i was told boss star (who i think are 1 of the better ones) have only sold 5 copys in stores.

summer of fat was a bad idea, they should stop releasing so much artists over a short space of time.[/quote']

I wonder how many people haven't bought a CD because the same label released some other ones at the same time?

I don't think it would matter, especially considering, as several people have pointed out, the diversity in the releases.

boss star are from dundee. i guess they just haven't played enough shows up here to have sold that many copies. but they're a brilliant band. tom works really hard to try and give something back to the bands, and he's never biased about who he decides to release. the thing about the bands he's releasing is that it gets non-scene people coming to gigs, seeing other fat hippy bands that they've never heard of and realising that aberdeen has a lot to offer musically.

Guest tv tanned

I think Tom is doing one of the most amazing things for the Aberdeen music scene.

I'm pretty sure the exposure he's giving to the bands and the scene as a whole is invaluable, and he should be saluted for doing so!`

Guest Sundaram
has anyone heard floored

truly awful!

fat hippy are doin a grand job though' date=' that electric tibet ep is great![/quote']

Was the Electric Tibet EP recorded at Toms?

Guest Sundaram
yeah some of it was though i think sandy did some overdubs and tweaking at home but you'd have to ask him.

I was rather impressed with how it sounds, I find a lot of 'local' bands recordings have a rather uninspiring feel about them and nearly always have a 'demo' sound, especially the drums.

The Electric Tibet EP being the one exception that I've heard thus far.

Guest Sundaram
yeah its not bad' date=' electric tibet are yet to fulfill their potential though i feel.[/quote']

Hm, not sure if they'll have the time to realise it either...

I played sax/flute on a few songs at their last gig, twas a great experience being in the midst of such great musicians!

Guest Sundaram
didnt know that!

god u get about dont you phil??????

Yeah well, I like the challenge of playing with different bands/styles, it keeps one on one's toes!

:)

I wonder how many people haven't bought a CD because the same label released some other ones at the same time?

I don't think it would matter' date=' especially considering, as several people have pointed out, the diversity in the releases.[/quote']

see that is interesting because i couldn't really see myself buying any fat hippy stuff i havn't heard because of the record labels 'music taste' (the other bands i have heard that are on their label)

but i do think theres nothing with saying it is shit, becuase i agree. that only sayings i don't like the music they put out. as far as opportunaties go fat hippy are the only company with the experience? but i don't know that for sure, dont really know my local labels.

Guest Bob Double Jack

What a ridiculous statement to start a "debate" with. "I've heard they have only sold 5 cds" and have thus based that formulate a ludicrous attack on somebody doing a great job for Aberdeen.

Do everyone a favour and don't be such a pillock.

Guest Sundaram
at least you can play!!!!! and quite well at that with the bands i've seen you play with. do i win a blue peter badge?

No, but you'll get a free copy of my solo CD entitled 'Sundaram' when I finally get round to recording it!

:)