aberdeen-music

Weird Things that I do

Moose

My weirdest one occurs shortly after sitting in a queue of traffic at a traffic light...

If i'm a few cars back and i'm going through the lights when they are green, I always think to myself "If I don't see the lights turning amber i'm going to have a terrible day". So I slow the car down a tad, in the hope that I see them turning amber. If I see it, there's a mini-celebration in my head and I know i'm going to have a great day.

I do this too. For example if I'm walking along the street listening to music, I have to pass a certain car/gate/window before the end of a line in the song or I'm going to have a shit day.

Glad I'm not alone here!

I sometimes brush my teeth in the shower. Mainly just to kill two birds with one stone. Plus I spend a lot of time brushing my teeth, so it's nice to do it in a nice warm environment - my flat is fucking freezing.

Not the best habit to develop on a regular basis, though, as it's apparently better to brush your teeth with cold water.

I brush my teeth in the shower too, to which I always get the response, "EH?!"

But it saves me time and it's nice to get an extra 5 mins in the shower.

I wet my brush before I apply paste which I've been told is weird.

I'm actually washing away fecal particulate matter produced every time the toilet is flushed with the seat up and any of the other heinous things I imagine people doing with my toothbrush, even though I live on my own.

You can't be too careful!

• Upvote 1

I'm actually washing away fecal particulate matter produced every time the toilet is flushed with the seat up and any of the other heinous things I imagine people doing with my toothbrush, even though I live on my own.

Same! A woman I used to work with told me about an article she read about the particles and germs in the air, and it's given me the boke ever since.

Guest idol_wild

I thought this was the norm...plus most toothpastes need that bit of initial moisture to make them a bit easier on the teeth.

I need to wash show from top to bottom, because when the water that i was rinsing all the soap and dirty water away runs down i think it will leave the dirt behind so if i clean in any other way, then some of the dirty water will leave dirt on something i've already cleaned. so top to bottom sorts this out. pretty weird, because i know it almost certainly makes no difference, just something i still do from a theory i came up with when i was 11 or something.

What are you talking about?! This makes no sense. Sorry.

I have the TV on for ambience sometimes, even when I'm listening to music. I'm probably going to vote Green in the election...

I used to do this. I try not to anymore 'cos our electricity bills have been ridiculous, but I'd have it on mute whilst reading or something. I think it must have been so that if anything I desperately wanted to see came on, I could glance up and put the sound on. I coulda just checked the guide...

Some of these things are so elaborate that I'm finding it hard to believe that folk haven't just sat and thought up something outlandish to pass off as a weird thing...

i find if iam eating carrots whilst facing true north i have to have a live gerbil in my undercrackers and a sock on one hand.

oh yes, and i have to say 'SHABBA!' after each mouthful.......

Guest Gladstone
I do that. In fact most of the time I initiate the conversation.

Sometimes I'll even meow in a different part of the house and he'll come find me.

I've always meowed / barked back at my cats / dogs. That's not weird is it?

I really like the volume on my TV to be a prime number, i don't stick to it because it has no reason at all to be on one except that i wan it to be, especially when it's just me and my flat mate i just ignore it, but when i'm by myself i tend to make an effort to get it on a prime number.

I can't have the volume on 13. Sometimes I have it on 16, because that's a lucky number for me, but then it's too loud.

Also, knew a woman who could not eat a fried egg with the window open. If any window in the house was open, she would get a metallic taste in her mouth. We carried out tests to prove it, and sure enough she could tell if a window was open.

I remember when watching Baddiel and Skinner back in the day that David Baddiel said he has to have his testicles held whlst having sex. That's weird.

No wonder Morwenna Banks always looks kind of smug, always having that position of power....must make for a bit of a lack of variation unless she has Inspector Gadget-like powers...

If anyone asks "You want some more" or a question to that affect, me, and my younger brother as well, both have to quote the robot barman from The Fifth Element and put on a stupid voice and say "Yoooooou wunt sum moar???" We can't help it.

I say this line all the time as well.

The other line from this movie I say a lot is an innocuous one but its stuck. When the priest Cornelius is asking Leeloo where the 4 stones are, at one point he says "in a hotel" and draws a box with his hands. Everytime I mention a hotel in conversations I HAVE to draw the box!!

I was looking forward to sharing my bizarre idiosyncrasies when alone around the house but Im too embarrassed by some in the light of some of the more normal entries above. Many of them are based around rhymes and mantras using nonsense words I made up when I was a (weird) kid. A lot of them relate to communicating with inanimate objects, particularly encouraging them in a kind manner to perform their primary function (Hi nice curtains, can you keep out the light? Etc.).

Other stuff has less explanation than that. Thinking of this sort of stuff reminds me of the scene in Napoleon Dynamite where he ties an action figure to a bit of string and throws it out the window of the bus in order that it is dragged along the ground. Theres no reason to do this other than the fact that he is compelled to do so. Maybe someone can maybe help with the quote? It made me laugh but I cant remember it.

Heres one of my tamer efforts:

Making a cup of tea when on my own goes like this:

- Stick kettle on to boil. There are various songs that I sing encouraging the water to boil, sometimes in my own head, sometimes out loud. Some of the ditties are self composed and some are my own interpretations of other songs, often Springsteen album tracks (City of Ruins is the most common at the moment). I sing/think these songs whilst watching the kettle.

- Pour boiling water over tea bag. Sing/think various songs encouraging the tea to brew whilst watching it at all times. This will occasionally be accompanied by dancing fingers and side to side head movements normally associated with Black American women going mmmm hmmmm.

- Remove teabag, add milk and enjoy in a normal fashion.

Making a cup of tea when on my own goes like this:

- Stick kettle on to boil. There are various songs that I sing encouraging the water to boil, sometimes in my own head, sometimes out loud. Some of the ditties are self composed and some are my own interpretations of other songs, often Springsteen album tracks (City of Ruins is the most common at the moment). I sing/think these songs whilst watching the kettle.

- Pour boiling water over tea bag. Sing/think various songs encouraging the tea to brew whilst watching it at all times. This will occasionally be accompanied by dancing fingers and side to side head movements normally associated with Black American women going mmmm hmmmm.

- Remove teabag, add milk and enjoy in a normal fashion.

This is the greatest thing ever.