aberdeen-music

Your Band's Facebook Page

Oedo 808

Is a Facebook page absolutely necessary?

I'm finding that there are just too many of these social networking sites to really keep up to date. I'm fed up with it.

I'm thinking of going to go back to an individual website I think and just link everything into that... that kind of thing must be possible these days! So basically have relatively blank social networking sites but just have massive link to our own website that we have complete control over.

Also fed up with the constant barrage of stuff that you get on facebook. I barely even look at events now as they come through too regularly. I'd rather have one weekly bulletin or something. Or a monthly mailing list type thing with what's on.

Someone should do that... shotgun not me, I'm too busy complaining about stuff.

It's possible you need to authorize your page by scanning your passport or birth certificate and sending it in to facebook to prove that you are really you and the authorized representative of The Underkills.

Surely in this day an age you must spend some to in "GITMO" getting an introduction to Waterboarding and electrodes to the testicles b4 you are allowed the privillege of a Facebook page !!!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think bandcamp will replace myspace or facebook. Bandcamp is a great hosting, streaming and promotional tool for your music, but you have to bring the audience to it, whereas with facebook and myspace you already have a worldwide audience there.

I don't think this holds any water really. If you're connected to the internet, then you're fully capable of typing it in. Myspace music pages still seem quite dominant, despite no one really using Myspace for social networking as much, so people are still willing to type in myspace.com/nameofband. It will usually be one of the first links if you Google a band, too. It doesn't seem to be the case of people already being on Myspace, and stumbling across bands. Due to how dead it is on a social level, people are still flocking to Myspace just to listen to music it seems.

Bandcamp is still at ground level, with no real indication of it taking off anytime soon. However, it should, and hopefully word will get around. The only chance it has of taking off is more bands signing up and putting their music on it.

Some good points Original Spies, but I think you put more stock in the general public's willingness to seek out and discover new music than I do. A lot of people prefer to have their music discover them. Social networking sites offer a way of reaching your audience pro-actively, while bandcamp does not. If people only discovered music on myspace by typing the bands name into the address bar I'd concede defeat, but that's not the case, and it's increasingly not the case with facebook either.

Some good points Original Spies, but I think you put more stock in the general public's willingness to seek out and discover new music than I do.

I guess I'm optimistic. But then I remember that alot of people aren't really that fussed about audio quality, which is Bandcamp's superior feature. Where as I'm completely anal about sound, so I think Bandcamp is the bees balls.

I think it would have helped if music had never ever made the leap into social networking. Before that, bands had their own individual websites, which they'd design themselves, or get a hand with. Then they'd have their music uploaded to it, or integrate music players if they were clever. When it all got lumped into one place, as you say (sort of), it took away the willingness of the general public to seek out new music, and if it wasn't on Myspace or Purevolume, then it wasn't worth looking for.

Christ, remember Purevolume? It made the Myspace player sound like a studio mix.

Guest idol_wild
An imposter?! o_O

I tried to delete that group but it won't allow me. I haven't used it in ages.

Also, yes, Facebook is a great promotional tool. I still use it for a bit of that. I just don't want every band under the sun invading my Facebook. I think I only allow about 5 bands to do that.

I tried to delete that group but it won't allow me. I haven't used it in ages.

Also, yes, Facebook is a great promotional tool. I still use it for a bit of that. I just don't want every band under the sun invading my Facebook. I think I only allow about 5 bands to do that.

I try to do that too - be a bit more selective with acceptance.

But (and heres an example of why i need to stop being such a worrying knob) i always feel bad declining mates bands or ones i know.

Its not that i dont want to support them.

I just think its easier to keep my page uncluttered and dont particularly want to add heaps of fan pages and get more and more updates about gigs ill likely read about here or see on posters.

But then i always think, god they probably think im a right wank ingnoring them when theyve come to a gig of mine or added Little Kicks and i feel bad.

I basically accept reuqests on the fly - if you catch me in a good mood and your band adds me ill likely accept, if im feeling a bit more ruthless then ill probably say no.

Nothing personal - as Phil says - just been a bit selective.

However, i say im being selective weve defintely got some "imaginary" people as fans that ive not noticed accepting - ridiclous hot blonde women from california etc.

Woops

I try to avoid putting people in that situation by only adding people who have actually been to our gigs in the past!

I do think Facebook is useful for promoting stuff to people you already know, whereas MySpace is more accessible for general use...although creating band pages seems fairly user-unfriendly.