aberdeen-music

New Matanuska demo

The_Fifer

It's kind of like Tool or Cult of Luna, with some Alice in Chains chucked in.

I'm diggin' it guys, see you at one of your gigs sometime:up:

I'm hearing a lot of weird comparisons: Bri from Fudge said we sounded like Helmet crossed with Tool and Metallica. Someone I was speaking to yesterday said Nirvana crossed with RATM and now you're saying Alice in Chains and Cult of Luna haha

Glad to hear it doesn't just sound like one thing though. Clearly this is a good thing!

Cheers dude.

I quite liked it. Sorry I can't be more constructive, listened to it a couple of days ago and forgot to leave a comment. As far as I can remember it had all the right bits to it.

Oh yeah, it's starting to come back now... I'm actually listening to it again.

I was thinking it would have been good to have a bit more variety in the guitar tones, the songs seem to homogenise to my ears with the constant distortion. Perhaps some cleaner guitar tones at points to contrast and give a bit more texture/dynamics to the songs but I could just be speaking shit. I'm far removed from rock these days to comment on what does it for the listener. I will continue though. The singing style got annoying for me too. Good rhythms in the vocals going on at points kind of Mike Patton style. But that constant sort of growl did the same to my ears as the guitar distortion. Sounds to me, behind the seemingly necessary growling rock/metal voice there is maybe something better. No reason that the growling thing can't be used for effect but perhaps use it more sparingly. The most interesting vocals, and a massive part of liking a group for me, are when the singer can get the emotion into their voice. It applies to all music types.

Other than that, got decent potential.

I was thinking it would have been good to have a bit more variety in the guitar tones, the songs seem to homogenise to my ears with the constant distortion. Perhaps some cleaner guitar tones at points to contrast and give a bit more texture/dynamics to the songs but I could just be speaking shit.

Cheers for the comments dude. Appreciated. I agree to an extent with what you're saying about the guitar tones and how some cleaner sounding tones might have been good. And I did actually consider that. The reason I decided to stick with the dirtier tone right the way through was to keep in line with the live sound. Since I don't mess about all that much with tone whilst on stage I figured I wouldn't do it on disc either. If that makes sense?

I think your in a style of your own where people can hear what they want to hear from it, it's a great place to be in! Means no one is gonna turn round and say "they sound like that band i hate", doesn't mean everyone is going to like you but it will definitely help you out on mixed genre bills.

You may just be my new favourite person with all these kind words!! haha

It seems there may be more influences coming through in the music than even I realised!

Cheers dude.

Keep the comments coming folks! We're big boys, we can handle it :up:

Cheers for the comments dude. Appreciated. I agree to an extent with what you're saying about the guitar tones and how some cleaner sounding tones might have been good. And I did actually consider that. The reason I decided to stick with the dirtier tone right the way through was to keep in line with the live sound. Since I don't mess about all that much with tone whilst on stage I figured I wouldn't do it on disc either. If that makes sense?

It does make sense. I listened to some of the live stuff you have on your player too and it's very representative. My comments are purely from a first time listen (well second time). I think I'd like to see you live, which is actually more than I would say for a lot of stuff that I hear on here.

Back to the critique... that particular recording is done, it's a good demo representative of how you sound live. My constructive feedback is applicable going forward ;)

Especially the vocals. Lyrics are decent, they have good rhythm, and potentially melodically good, the singer just needs to ditch the gruff thing or use it on occation. Why put that kind of constraint on your voice when the music doesn't really require it? Unless its just that he's been smoking for 50 years, in that case there is not much that can be done! (**Just my opinion though, some folk probably really dig it**).

I can totally understand the metallica reference!

The start of liquid gold sounds very, very similar to the start of a metallica riff thats played on Some Kind Of Monster Documentary.

It actually reminds me of the albums Load and Reload quite a bit if you don't mind me saying! espcially 'Liquid gold' and 'the wire'

But that's just my opinion hahaha.

Still good...for me personally the vocals don't work...like a miniature Lemmie.

But again just my opinion...everything seems really well put together and flows really well!!

Just looking at the photo's at the drummonds gig .. the dude with the LTD explorer looks to have a Hetfield look going on... possible Metallics fan? whoop!

Poor Alex is getting a slating! haha

I suppose I can see where folk are coming from to a certain extent with regards to the vocals. It's like me going along to a gig or listening to a track and thinking "this band is pretty good, but the singer is just screaming down a mic" - screamy bands bore me. But I quite like the more growly vocalists (like Alex) because it's a nice blend of screaming and actual singing. A bit Black-Album-era-James-Hetfield-ish (yes I am a Metallica fan!)

So yeah, we really like the vocals. And if we didn't, he'd get told!! haha :up:

Cheers for the comments guys.

Poor Alex is getting a slating! haha

I suppose I can see where folk are coming from to a certain extent with regards to the vocals. It's like me going along to a gig or listening to a track and thinking "this band is pretty good, but the singer is just screaming down a mic" - screamy bands bore me. But I quite like the more growly vocalists (like Alex) because it's a nice blend of screaming and actual singing. A bit Black-Album-era-James-Hetfield-ish (yes I am a Metallica fan!)

So yeah, we really like the vocals. And if we didn't, he'd get told!! haha :up:

Cheers for the comments guys.

It's not so much a slating as constructive advice. The lyrics are there, rhythms are good in my opinion (which is one of the harder vocal things to do well), and you can hear behind the gruff there is a decent voice but the gruff masks it. I like the gruff thing if it suites the voice, this is just a case where it doesn't. Converting the energy putting on the gruff edge to more power would make a big difference to the cool rhythms and allow for more versatile movement. You'd have to take a step back from it to see this though.

I know that it won't really make a difference in the end to what actually happens, a couple of anonymous opinions on a music forum are hardly reason to.

Good luck with it though and I'll definitely come along and watch seeings as I've made the effort to listen to your stuff a few times!

• 2 weeks later...

I like what you've done - it reminds me of elements of the Haunted that I like. I.e it's got a groove to it. It's got a bit of a Southern yeehah too - that's making it a bit Metallica for my liking. That's mainly the vocal - and that's entirely my taste - I think it's a solid vocal.

I'd stick a doubling delay on the vocal - maybe with a fader going up into the choruses - so it's a tad more epic and theatrical. Like on Liquid Gold - so that the word 'gold' stands out. Again - that's what I'd do different. But -- good.

I like what you've done - it reminds me of elements of the Haunted that I like. I.e it's got a groove to it. It's got a bit of a Southern yeehah too - that's making it a bit Metallica for my liking. That's mainly the vocal - and that's entirely my taste - I think it's a solid vocal.

I'd stick a doubling delay on the vocal - maybe with a fader going up into the choruses - so it's a tad more epic and theatrical. Like on Liquid Gold - so that the word 'gold' stands out. Again - that's what I'd do different. But -- good.

Cheers man. Interesting idea for the vocals. But would that not make them sound a bit Fear Factory-ish? Maybe, maybe not. But we might experiment with that next time we go to record!

We've got a gig in Edinburgh tomorrow night and I came across and add for it on The Skinny website that referred to us as, and I quote, 'Southern Thrash' WTF??

Gotta love a bit of southern groove though. Needs to be done. :up: