aberdeen-music

DHC presents GERRY LOVES RECORDS night: DEBUTANT : CONQUERING ANIMAL SOUND and more

Dirty Hearts Club presents...

Thursday 1st April

10pm

3.00 entry

Gerry Loves Records launch night featuring Debutant and Conquering Animal Sound with support from Brother Louis Collective

Gerry Loves Records is a brand new label based in Edinburgh, releasing vinyl singles by their favourite up and coming artists, all of whom will hopefully move on to bigger and better things. Their first release is a split single from Conquering Animal Sound

(Conquering Animal Sound on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads ) and Debutant

(Debutant on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads ) released 5th April 2010.

Find out more: Gerry Loves Records

DEBUTANT

Debutant on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

------------------------------

Debutant is one man, a guitar and a voice. Although he writes and sings songs, hes certainly not a singer-songwriter in the traditional sense. Think dreamy pop songs augmented by textured atmospheric soundscapes. Or something like that.

Having plied his trade in bands, Phillip began writing songs and compositions that didnt suit the style of the bands he was in. So he purchased a loop pedal and figured hed do it all himself. He played his first set in April 2008 and has since played with artists such as Glissando, Meursault, Immanu El, Ballboy, Over the Wall, Copy Haho, David Grubbs, Viking Moses, The Pictish Trail, Vessels, Found, The Xcerts and Hugh Cornwell. In January 2009, Debutant did a 2 week tour of Scotland, England and Ireland.

Debutant loops and layers guitars, creating shimmering atmospheres over which he adds delicate, breathless and dreamy vocals. The songs are deceptively simple yet affecting. Having relocated to Edinburgh in 2009, 2010 will see Debutant release a full-length album, with a tour to promote the album in the autumn.

"My first impressions of the theatre were of immediate warmth and hospitality, the BandStAnd at The Barron night commenced in understated fashion as Phillip Quirie slinked on stage as the solitary member of the one-man dream, ambient shoe-gaze project, Debutant. Lulling us all with the calming reassuring flow of Means to An End, the easing warm current of his music ably conveys an evocative gentle landscape, allaying the anxieties of even the most troubled souls. Armed with only a guitar, loop pedals and reverb unit his delicate voice and subtle picking and vibrato directs the ebb and flow, and nuances of delicacy that create the shimmering dynamics on offer, Thirst and King of Doublespeak proving to be the highlights of a set that ends in a surprisingly intense fashion." isthismusic?

CONQUERING ANIMAL SOUND

Conquering Animal Sound on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

------------------------------

Conquering Animal Sound is made up of Anneke Kampman and James Scott. A musical project in its infancy but one that is filled with much promise and potential. Already making great waves within the musical community of Edinburgh their live show is something of awe-inspiring greatness, creating loops, beats and samples out of anything and everything with Annekes sumptuous vocals carrying the sounds to what seems like a new world. A debut album is in the works - set to be released via Gizeh Records/Mini50 later in the year. Big things are predicted for the band in 2010.

"Meticulously built up vocal, laptop and electric guitar loops that evolve into spookily charming minimalist incantations." - The List

"Kampmans gorgeous intone floats telepathically into the tapestry of guitar and loops created by Scott. Recalling the minimalistic dalliances of Scandinavian progressives Mm, CAS are quite unlike anything youll hear in Scotland today" - The Scotsman

Also performing:

BROTHER LOUIS COLLECTIVE

Brother Louis Collective on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

--------------------------------

The Brother Louis Collective is a stunning new group born in 2006 out of early student days in Glasgow and gathered round the precocious talent of the young foot-stamping, faintly maniacal singer/song-writer Louis Abbott, 21, influences Springsteen, Tom Waits, Elbow, Low, Midlake, the Fence folks, Bright Eyes BLC adds clarinet, flute, double bass and two jaw-dropping voices to the usual indie line-up to smash through their joyous, heart-filled, orchestral and beautifully eccentric and well crafted songs. Louis is proud to be Scottish and his accent is to the fore in his singing, contrasting magically with the Northumbrian tones of Sarah Hayes.

A POST-TWILIGHT SAD KICK OFF OF 10PM

SNAFU

ABERDEEN

Club Snafu | Aberdeen Nightclub Home

Dirty Hearts Club on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Guest idol_wild

The launch tour is announced - Glasgow and Edinburgh shows confirmed. The Edinburgh show is with the stunning Wounded Knee and the Glasgow support is yet to be confirmed.

I know there are a few users of the site in both Glasgow and Edinburgh, so if they're reading this then they are now in the know. Have a gander:

Debutant on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest idol_wild

I think Debutant is on rather late, so expect a very loud set to shut up some of the music-ignoring regulars who like to prop up the bar and look cool. :headbang:

Just drop me a PM with names if you and your friends would like to attend for free.

expect a very loud set to shut up some of the music-ignoring regulars who like to prop up the bar and look cool

I thought it was a bit of a shame that other than during the climax of Thirst, you didn't get the respect of all the audience. Nevertheless, I was very impressed with the set, reminded me a bit of Daniel Land and the Modern Painters at times, which is a good thing.

Have to say I didn't really like CAS: they have got half an idea going in there, but I just was not digging the execution of it at all, found it very wearing towards the end.

Decent evening,

:up:

Guest idol_wild
I thought it was a bit of a shame that other than during the climax of Thirst, you didn't get the respect of all the audience. Nevertheless, I was very impressed with the set, reminded me a bit of Daniel Land and the Modern Painters at times, which is a good thing.

Have to say I didn't really like CAS: they have got half an idea going in there, but I just was not digging the execution of it at all, found it very wearing towards the end.

Decent evening,

Funny you say that. I booked a gig last year in London with them and they asked me to put Thirst on a split 7" with a new song of theirs, which used an almost identical chord arrangement. But I didn't fancy the idea too much in the end. Good band, though.

This gig was like fighting a losing battle. An offensively chatty crowd coupled with no onstage monitors made it near impossible to hear anything I was doing. But shit happens. I never mind people at the back talking because it's distant and I can still hear the quieter bits and work with them, but when you can hear what three people in the very front row were up to last weekend over what you're trying to play, it gets tough.

But thanks for the positive words, Scorge. Very much appreciated.

And thanks to all of you who came and showed support. We sold quite a few copies of the record so all was not lost, even if the gig itself didn't go quite as planned.

Really enjoyed Admiral Fallow.

Your guitar came across really well Phil, but I could barely hear the vocals. Despite this, you reminded me of Ride in a sort of stripped-down way. This is a good thing.

CAS really, really, really failed to impress.

Guest idol_wild
Really enjoyed Admiral Fallow.

Your guitar came across really well Phil, but I could barely hear the vocals. Despite this, you reminded me of Ride in a sort of stripped-down way. This is a good thing.

CAS really, really, really failed to impress.

All I could hear onstage was the raspy tone coming out of my amp onstage, which I enjoyed in a strangely satisfying way. But no onstage monitors + a chatty crowd = difficult times. Glad I didn't come across too horribly, though. The gig was a bit heart-breaking on a personal level because I just wanted it to fucking work as so many people came to show their support, so it's quite nice to hear that people got something out of it, at least.

I really felt for Conquering Animal Sound as I know they're fucking terrific. I'm don't want to preach, but given the opportunity, I really would urge you all to give them another chance if you have it in you. It just went wrong for them on the night. They were reet fucking good in Edinburgh and Glasgow. :up: