aberdeen-music

Frightened Rabbit

Stichman

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I just listened to the entirety of the album with 'midnight organ' or something similar in the title whilst cooking up a storm in the kitchen - first time I've listened to anybFrightened Rabbit in ages. A really good album it has to be said. I love the song 'Old Fashioned' - great tune.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I just listened to the entirety of the album with 'midnight organ' or something similar in the title whilst cooking up a storm in the kitchen - first time I've listened to anybFrightened Rabbit in ages. A really good album it has to be said. I love the song 'Old Fashioned' - great tune.

Total skip track for me. Don't like it at all.

Guest idol_wild

It's all about Keep Yourself Warm. That tune has a wicked crescendo. And a brilliant set of lyrics.

Although the tunes on Midnight Organ Fight are ace, it was mainly the lyrics I connected with at that stage of my life. However, the new album is taking a while to really make an impression. One or two of the tunes stand out, but the rest is average thus far.

I do, however, expect the album to hit me after a few more listens.

Keep Yourself Warm, The Modern Leper, Floating In The Forth and Heads Roll Off are my faves. I know so many guys (me included) who really connected with that record. Powerful stuff.

The Mrs and I are off to see them in Manchester next Friday. I'm looking forward to it.

Midnight Organ Fight: I love it but I do have to be in the mood for it. His lyrics and voice go together tremendously in my opinion. My favourites are Poke, Head Rolls Off and of course Modern Leper.

I actually am yet to hear there ealier stuff - is it just the one album before MOF? - and this stuff on myspace bu plan to when I have a long enough gap to do so.

Guest idol_wild

Having deliberated, cogitated and digested, I have reached the conclusion that the new Frightened Rabbit album is a bit rubbish.

Fatcat sent them back to the studio after the initial album was submitted and told them to rework some of the songs. That's a real shame that they're getting involved to that level.

But yeah. It's a right big shame that this album isn't what I wanted or expected. Ho hum.

Midnight Organ Fight: I love it but I do have to be in the mood for it. His lyrics and voice go together tremendously in my opinion. My favourites are Poke, Head Rolls Off and of course Modern Leper.

I actually am yet to hear there ealier stuff - is it just the one album before MOF? - and this stuff on myspace bu plan to when I have a long enough gap to do so.

Aye, Sing the Greys was their first, but they consider it to be more like a collection of demos rather than an album proper. They're wrong, though. It's an insanely good album; a lot more raw and less lyrically powerful than MOF, but still very good.

Having deliberated, cogitated and digested, I have reached the conclusion that the new Frightened Rabbit album is a bit rubbish.

Fatcat sent them back to the studio after the initial album was submitted and told them to rework some of the songs. That's a real shame that they're getting involved to that level.

But yeah. It's a right big shame that this album isn't what I wanted or expected. Ho hum.

It certainly isn't at the same level as Midnight Organ Fight, which immediately hit me as one of the best albums I've ever heard. I've given Winter of Mixed Drinks a good few listens, and I'm still undecided. I think Things, The Wrestle and Footshooter are standouts songs; I maintain that the two singles they've released thus far are very average. As a whole, it just doesn't capture the imagination like their previous records, but I'm still willing to believe it's a slow-burner.

Interesting about the FatCat stuff. I didn't think they'd really be the kind of label to get involved, but apparently the band was told by the label that 'Nothing Like You' was going to be the single, and were forced into making that pishy, identikit video for it. Rubbish.

Aye, Sing the Greys was their first, but they consider it to be more like a collection of demos rather than an album proper. They're wrong, though. It's an insanely good album; a lot more raw and less lyrically powerful than MOF, but still very good.

I think Sing the Greys is amazing.

Square 9 alone makes it worth a purchase.

Midnight Organ... is great too.

Havent listened to new album enough yet but from the 2 listens ive had sounds good.

First track is cool.

Ok, hungover report rather than drunken one!

The atmosphere was incredible, completely sold out venue with mass singalongs and the band were obviously blown away by the response they were getting.

In the cold light of day, I'd have to say that the new songs just weren't up to the standards of TMOF (I think they only played Square 9 off STG, but I was quite drunk so that might not be true...). The new songs probably suffered in comparison due to a lack of familiarity, but I'm not sure the tunes are there. Maybe it's a grower though.

Having said all that, it was a pretty special night and The Modern Leper was pure cathartic brilliance.

I have a head ache from crap lager. Totally worth it.