aberdeen-music

HELP I'm a HNC Sound Production Student!

knobby1968

I am gathering info for my graded unit for which I'm designing a mobile recording unit, but is there a market for such a service in the north east? I know some static studios can provide this facility, but I cant find any businesses solely interested in mobile recording. I've looked on the interweb and only turn up blanks there.

Any feedback would be greatly received

I am gathering info for my graded unit for which I'm designing a mobile recording unit, but is there a market for such a service in the north east? I know some static studios can provide this facility, but I cant find any businesses solely interested in mobile recording. I've looked on the interweb and only turn up blanks there.

Any feedback would be greatly received

Depends, are we talking mobile studio recording unit? Or mobile recording unit for gigs? As long as your recordings are good enough quality there will always be demand, especially if it saves bands having to hire out a studio space, you can just record in their rehearsal room, house, church ect.

Obviously, it has drawbacks as well but i believe that the simple line is, if the recording quality is high, people will be interested.

yes, a mobile rig that can be set up at any location the performer needs it. I suppose a service could be provided tapping out of someone else's live desk but what's the point of that cos they can use their own 2 track anyhoo. so good and therefore expensive soundcards would be a must and pre amps to match then!

yes, a mobile rig that can be set up at any location the performer needs it. I suppose a service could be provided tapping out of someone else's live desk but what's the point of that cos they can use their own 2 track anyhoo. so good and therefore expensive soundcards would be a must and pre amps to match then!

With regards to this post, yes the foh engineer can just plug laptop a laptop into some relevant spare outputs on his desk, or have one of those all in one "2 mics, some storage and a record button" gadgets that they just sit on the desk, but the downside to these methods is the mess-with-it factor afterwards is greatly reduced, all you can really do is EQ, compress, and crank the gain up, you cant pull out the naffed up guitar solo and re-record it, or tweak the very out of tune singing. Great for post gig review, bad if they want something decent for their myspace or a live ep.

<warning. tech speak>

A fair few of the venues around aberdeen have facility on the desks to take more than just the stereo mix to a recording device, for example, on venue has a luuuvly big midas console, with the right connector loom (XLR on desk) you can take a seperate output from every single channel, thus having everything seperate (switchable pre and post desk fader, insert and EQ) for maximum mess-with-it factor. Alternatively you can take group outputs (XLR i think, dont quote me) and take sub mixes, such as a stereo mix of the drums, a stereo mix of guitars, a mono feed from bass blah blah blah.

<end tech speak> :guns:

I wont go on, my fingers are hurting from the typing. Suffice to say, if a band wanted a live recording of their gig, their are a number of routes to go down depending on the venue and budget and time available.

Though it must be said, i did think of offering these option to bands as extra cash on the side as im there anyway, and still might buy some toys in the future, but what i figured i needed would have been transportable by bus and train, as it basically consisted of a decent laptop and a 4U rack with some MOTU outboard soundcards and jizz in it. Rucksack and Rack recording studio.

:dunce:

Thats longer than i thought it would be, but being a uni project, theres no such thing as too much information. All fine in theory, though the van may be a bit too much, rucksack and rack then mix down in bedroom/acoustically treated garage/car (sounds bad? i got highest grade in class for that mix at college :up:)

Hope this helps

Shealesy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

re:portable rig

Hi there,

Dont know if you are still interested in ideas here but just thought i would pop in some thoughts!

the rucksack idea is great! i use it all the time for recording live events that i engineer, you can use the insert points as direct outs on most desks quite happily! as long as you are not using them obv....

i use a 4U "rockbag" by warwick with a motu 828 MK3, behringer 8 channel ADAT preamp and a couple DI units along with a Macbook pro 13" and logic studio 9 to record basically any live gig.

this gives me 16 channels of "raw" sound so you can mute what you like and re-record anything you need to later!

also all you need to do is carry a kit bag with some mics, stands and cables and aslong as you have a decent sounding room record anywhere!!

easy!

:-)

www.scot-sound.co.uk

Hi there,

Dont know if you are still interested in ideas here but just thought i would pop in some thoughts!

the rucksack idea is great! i use it all the time for recording live events that i engineer, you can use the insert points as direct outs on most desks quite happily! as long as you are not using them obv....

i use a 4U "rockbag" by warwick with a motu 828 MK3, behringer 8 channel ADAT preamp and a couple DI units along with a Macbook pro 13" and logic studio 9 to record basically any live gig.

this gives me 16 channels of "raw" sound so you can mute what you like and re-record anything you need to later!

also all you need to do is carry a kit bag with some mics, stands and cables and aslong as you have a decent sounding room record anywhere!!

easy!

:-)

www.scot-sound.co.uk

I'm setting up something similar. Originally was just going to go for a 828 mk1 second hand but i think i'm going to go for a M-Audio 2626 instead now. That way i've got the option of direct outs/insert points or with Y split cables, being able to use the mic preamp with an unaffected signal. Will most likely slave this to a Behringer or something similar.

I'm setting up something similar. Originally was just going to go for a 828 mk1 second hand but i think i'm going to go for a M-Audio 2626 instead now. That way i've got the option of direct outs/insert points or with Y split cables, being able to use the mic preamp with an unaffected signal. Will most likely slave this to a Behringer or something similar.

Nice choice on the m-audio interface! ideal if pro-tools is your thing!