aberdeen-music

Signal Splitters

Cabbage

Does anyone use a signal splitter in their guitar set up to run two amps??

I've been experimenting using my boss tu-2 to split the guitar signal, running one feed direct to an amp while the other runs through effects and then to a second amp. there is maybe a bit of a ground loop which is making a bit of hum but other than that its worked pretty well. Even just setting up different tones on the amps sounds pretty cool.

anyone tried this or found a better way of doing it? I'm sure a ground lift on one of the amps would clear the hum but i'll live with it for now!

I did it in the garage using my Bass Big Muff pedal, running the effect output to my solid state amp and the bypass to my Selmer valve head. Really beefs the sound and can give some properly cool results.

I think you need to use an A/B pedal (or a router as they are known on some sites, that confused me for a bit) to do it right, unless you have a true bypass on your pedal.

Boss tuner works ok, but you don't really have lots of control. A better option is this:

http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-aby.htm

It''ll deal with grounding problems, let you do the ABY switching. It's also built like a tank. I've got one them on my pedal board to switch between amps. It's a killer. Yeah, it's not free, but it also doesn't have the hum problems.

A lot of cheaper splitters out there will do the trick but will give you grounding and phasing problems, and also you will lose a lot of tone and gain with them.

If you want to go down the more expensive route there are a few out there like the voodoo labs amp switcher and the lehle switcher. Think they are supposed to be decent ones.

I use one built by Keeley called the Framptone amp switcher, its brill for running 2 amps A/B or together and combining the signals, No quality loss or ground and phasing issues with it. Couldn't recommend it enough but its nae cheap. I got it when there was a good value with the dollar a few years back.

The other one I use is the GCX audio switching system. Again its nae cheap as you need the ground control pro midi board with it.

You tried the cheap old fashioned way of slaving 2 amps??

You tried the cheap old fashioned way of slaving 2 amps??

no, i'm not familiar with this method, please divulge :popcorn:

i've modified my pedal board to give some switching options using some splitting, I already have a switchable fx's loop, but with some mods I can now run the pre-fx loop units out to one amp and the fx-loop out to another with the input to the fx-loop coming from the pre-loop units or bypassing it. o_O edit: the plan is to build some isolating transformers into the circuit (if it works I was planning to still use the TU-2 as the splitter and house the transformer circuit in my fx loop switching box.

i can now play the smells like teen spirt riff (almost) in stereo through two amps and a million effects :rockon:

• 2 weeks later...