aberdeen-music

wanting mulit FX with pitch shifter or whammy pedal

EnkaiScreamer

im interested in that dudes whammy :p but ive ordered a digitech rp55 thing so thanks for the offers everyone but im also looking at his whammy :)

Sorry to poop on your parade, but its an awful pedal.

i had one of the Silver and blue ones years ago, and i doubt they will have improved.

IMO Multi effects pedals are useless. stand alones :up:

yeh but all i need is the compression noise gate and pitch shifter, i dont care about the rest

Rackmount Compressor. Boss NS-2 noise gate. and any digitech whammy.

Buy good stuff, then in the future you wont have to replace/ buy good stuff,

I know from experience that you just waste money on multi effects.

If you're after a compressor for guitar. I got a DOD compressor/sustainer pedal off ebay for 16.77 + postage t'other day. It hasn't arrived yet but I know someone who has one and it's pretty good. They're not too difficult to get on ebay. I also got their Ice Chorus pedal for 12.29, which arrived today and I'm rather impressed with it. DOD is a bit of a ebay bargain, in my view.

yeh but all i need is the compression noise gate and pitch shifter, i dont care about the rest

Interesting. What sort of music do you play? Those are the 3 effects that I'd be least likely to use on a guitar (compression is more likely but I've never seen it as essential). Do you already own a fair few other effects?

IMO Multi effects pedals are useless. stand alones :up:

There are excellent multi effects processors (in pedal form) made by the likes of Rocktron and TC electronics. Just at the budget end they don't tend to be that good and you'd often be better off with individual pedals, although this is not always the case.

I suppose you can use compression in that way but any kind of high gain distortion/overdrive tone going to already be heavily compressed, without the use of a compressor. I'd be more likely to use a compressor on a clean sound to squash the low strings a little bit or perhaps for funky percussive stuff to get a more 'in your face' type clean sound. Either that or to add sustain and 'smoothness' to an over-driven sound.

Remember, less dynamic range = less punchyness.

The effect I use the most is delay, followed by reverb, then chorus. I find I can get away without reverb if I have delay.

So, you plan to 're-tune' your entire guitar using a whammy pedal? I.e take the whole thing down 1 or 2 notes? I never really thought about doing that and always imagined it wouldn't sound very good but I would like to be proven wrong. I don't actually own a whammy pedal, although that will probably change in the next year. I'm also far too lazy to be using anything other than standard tuning, so I'm probably not a very worthwhile opinion on this sort of thing.

I generally haven't gotten along with noise gates on any instrument, apart from maybe snare drum in a rock band situation, when every beat is meant to be a similar volume. I know the Boss Noise Suppressor is a popular effect though.

I'll be interested to hear the sounds that you produce with these effects. It's like you've got the priorities in reverse from me.

yeh man, the whammy is pretty good for re-tuning, i had the idea when i had my boss ME-50 but i sold that and now i want it back, it had everything i needed and i sold it for a broken item, i got my money back but cannot get the boss back, i did some youtube videos with the guitar re-tuned, it sounded pretty good, it only really worked if i was drop tuning because any high notes sounded to digital for me but it was okay. and noise surpressors are good for me because sometimes i dont like the feedback when there is a beatdown or palm muting with breaks when it goes DUN-DUN *pause* DUN-DUN the pause consists of *SCREEEEECH*

the whammy is just for use at home, i use both my guitars for band and they are locked in drop c but i use the fine tuners to tune it to D standard, i like the sound of a compressor in my rig because it give a punchy tone, and yeh im sending my multi-FX back becuase it really is shit, complete waste of money! and i like the sound of the whammy, it doesnt bother me with chords or whatever so... :/