aberdeen-music

Stripey

Ross

I`m really glad that he is producing music...

I find his opinions to be quite controversial and his arguments in the most to be ill informed but where it counts.... i.e The Music...

I think he is a talented bugger.....

Prefer Offworlder to the other track but I like dark drum n bass so hardly a surprise...

Just wish they mp3s were encoded at a higher bitrate.....

Keep up the good work.

Ross

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lime ruined my life

where did you get these tracks from?

im not into "dark" dnb too much these days, but im interested.

p.s il bet he uses renoise

Guest stuartmaxwell

yeah i have downloaded a couple of tracks and was well impressed

i thought he might have been an internet gopher for a while, all talk and no substance etc etc

but no, talented fucker

Guest Stripey
Are any of the tracks streamed ? Just that I canna do MP3s...

If you have a fast enough connection you can stream them from winamp or media player.

Thanks for having a listen everyone, I really appreciate your comments.

yeh i just downloaded the tracks. very good.

but its just like listening to boards of canada really, not much difference apart from the boards are better.

i was going to get into some IDM myself. but the instruments and recording software are quite basic but enough to make a tune or two...

but you certainly have talent my friend, i'd like to think you'd use it for greater good, and get yourself some originality (im not being as harsh as it sounds) maybe go back to the 80's within what you work with, a bit of old school. i duno... but keep going...

Well, I'm impressed by the music which he produces! I also quite enjoy Stripey's ranting against mediocre music (despite being worse than mediocre myself). What riles me are the anti-Aberdonian bits......I get defensive about the dear old dump, for all its flaws.

Kitchen Cynics...................................Snuffy Ivy for Provost!!...................................

Guest Stripey

Again, thanks for having a listen.

Dead_Fashion: Boards of Canada aren't particularly high on my list of influences. I'm not sure what you mean about "may not do much to his beats"...I'm not really interested in going back to the 80's or any other era either :p

Graeme: No, I won't be doing anything live ;)

Guest Stripey
I don't think Stripey sees any need for live performance' date=' although his music would have fitted easily into some of the Interesting Music nights.[/quote']

Yeah I don't have any intentions to do anything live, it wouldn't be possible, and I don't see any reason for it. I like the idea of putting together recordings in my own time, resulting in a finished piece of work.

The internet underground music scene is growing and thats where I'm staying.

Guest Stripey

Playing live gigs in your hometown seems archaic to me, I'm surprised that half the local bands don't even have mp3's online.

Why would I want to play live gigs in local dive bars to a handful of people, when I'm getting tracks played out in live dj sets broadcast on the internet pulling audiences of 800+ from all over the globe....

times have changed!

Well I don't want to get involved in another big argument, but I home recorded for years, only starting to play live in the last 12 months or so, and I've found it useful. It made me hone some of my songs....even some of the lyrics have improved by being altered to the benefit of the song. Then I re-recorded some of them.

Also if I hadn't started playing out I wouldn't have met some kind musicians who have played on my own recordings ( eg Philip, or Duncan Hart, possibly Lester Burnham soon), or live (Mike Napier from the Cavern).

But that's just my personal point of view, not a manifesto.

Having said all of this, I still don't think there's any NEED for live performance.........your own situation obviously suits you fine, just that there's still a place for it, and a purpose served by it on occasion.

Playing live gigs in your hometown seems archaic to me' date=' I'm surprised that half the local bands don't even have mp3's online.

Why would I want to play live gigs in local dive bars to a handful of people, when I'm getting tracks played out in live dj sets broadcast on the internet pulling audiences of 800+ from all over the globe....

times have changed![/quote']

I find that there's so much music online though that it starts to hurt my brain - seeing it live at least regulates me to one band for a while so that I can focus on them and just them for a while :)

Do you ever DJ in Aberdeen [i believe you do online DJ sets non? Am I getting confused?] sir?

Guest lime ruined my life
um yes it does sir. he may not do much to his beats. but im quite sure the keyboard settings along with other styles of producing are in there. do you wish to dule sir knight???

yes! basically i know what you mean, you can hear a synth, and a synth automatically equates to boards of canada, because youv probably heard them once or twice.

now secondly, even though boards use synths, they use real vinatge ones, which then get sampled and messed up. which is what gives them theyr unique sound. stripey does nothing like this from what i heard of the mp3. its straight forward ambient dnb sort of stuff.

and for the record this is mediocre music made by millions of people, lets just admit it.

its good, but nothing special.

Playing live gigs in your hometown seems archaic to me' date=' I'm surprised that half the local bands don't even have mp3's online.

times have changed![/quote']

Well playing / DJing live would be a good test of what people like / dislike, will dance to etc. Punters may also want to buy Cds from you if they like your material. MP3s / online music is handy but people still like to see things live and buy Cds / vinyl.

Local dive bars / low numbers of people - the number of people in the audience for any performance is not the issue. What matters is their interest / enthusiasm and their ability to concentrate on your music. Yes Adeen has some dive bars or bar for minkers as some call them - mainly on Market Street / George St / King St. The main music bars (Drakes / Drummonds et al) in the city centre are not dive bars. They are safe, friendly and decent places to be... Unless you get accosted by someone called Chilli who wants to give you a flyer or five !!

Dave

yes! basically i know what you mean' date=' you can hear a synth, and a synth automatically equates to boards of canada, because youv probably heard them once or twice.

now secondly, even though boards use synths, they use real vinatge ones, which then get sampled and messed up. which is what gives them theyr unique sound. stripey does nothing like this from what i heard of the mp3. its straight forward ambient dnb sort of stuff.

and for the record this is mediocre music made by millions of people, lets just admit it.

its good, but nothing special.[/quote']

well actually i have heard boards a lot more than 'once or twice' thank you very much. i think stripey has done more than loops, how many of the tracks of his did you download... one or two... i listened to them all. i think hes actually played around with it quite a bit, not as much as say squarepusher or aphex twin would but ofcourse. lets not be silly. the guys still developing himself as an artist.

i'm not really getting graemeC's point. it was a lame example, not to have been taken seriously, maybe its just the way it sounds when you read it.

whatever.