aberdeen-music

TUFF WAX RECORDS - our new vinyl-only record label, based in Aberdeen

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I might have mentioned this in passing on the boards before, but here's the official announcement.

Tuff Wax Records!

Tuff Wax is a new venture run by myself and Adam Easy Wishes, aiming to restore some faith in the medium of vinyl, expose new music, get Aberdeen hiphop/beats/dubstep stuff out there and build/restore the music community around here. We'll be doing 7" and 12" releases, parties, gigs and podcasts. First up is TWX-001 which you can read about here! 322 copies pressed, but a few of these will go out to radio/club DJs and magazine/webzine reviewers so the final figure available to buy will be slightly smaller.

2wml66h.jpg

Get involved!

1. Release date is March 13th and we're trying to book a gig for Saturday the 12th - Tunnels and Cafe Drummond are booked up, can anybody help or suggest somewhere else to approach?

2. Our website is truly awful - can someone help us throw together something really simple and effective that will basically show RSS feeds from the blog/twitter pages? In return you can have a year of free releases and gig/night/party entry.

3. Add/follow us and stay up to date with news:

Twitter

Myspace

Facebook

The Tuff Wax Records Blog

We'll be putting up a pre-order link shortly so that you can pay ahead and collect a copy on the night of the release party (if it ever gets booked!).

We're working on the next release already, but in the near future hope to be putting out all kinds of stuff. If you're interested in working with us, give us a shout too. :up:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Should post this in the News Announcements forum too no?

Sound like a Scottish Weezer influenced by 10 Easy Wishes and Magicdrive.

Not bad.

good idea, how d'ya do it?

Good Luck, glad you are putting a stress on electronic stuff, as trad rockin's are well covered in the 'deen, but electronic boings less so, particularly the odd genre of non dance dance music, and cross-genre creations. Might send you some stuff, (which I will be in no way offended if you don't like), as I'm being a bit more productive recently, but amn't posting stuff as soon as its made anymore.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Good Luck, glad you are putting a stress on electronic stuff, as trad rockin's are well covered in the 'deen, but electronic boings less so, particularly the odd genre of non dance dance music, and cross-genre creations. Might send you some stuff, (which I will be in no way offended if you don't like), as I'm being a bit more productive recently, but amn't posting stuff as soon as its made anymore.

fire download links to label@tuffwaxrecords.com.

personally, i'm more looking out for all styles of hip hop, instrumental hip hop, general "beats" & breaks type music, downtempo, dubstep stuff (preferably not the 'mental' brostep kind).

Guest Tam o' Shantie

yes. loving the 'revival' that's in place just now. need to get a funk/soul 45 pressed up before too long!

find me someone who can lay down a lovely break or two, and a good classic recording and i'm sold!

a two band funk/soul split would be good!

Smart.I really like the song with Kuda.Good luck with this

As far as venues concerned cellar 35 or Malt Mill are the ones that spring to mind first.Malt Mill was surprisingly good when we did a show there last year, you do need to supply everything though.Failing that snafu although dead pricey and you will need out by 1030

Smart.I really like the song with Kuda.Good luck with this

As far as venues concerned cellar 35 or Malt Mill are the ones that spring to mind first.Malt Mill was surprisingly good when we did a show there last year, you do need to supply everything though.Failing that snafu although dead pricey and you will need out by 1030

Really? From my experience Malt Mill were super-strict on age limits and made a lot more of a fuss about noise levels than any other "venue" in Aberdeen.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Do you have written legal agreements for artists releasing tracks on your label,who is handling the publishing side[or does that remain with the artist]?

our legal dept will get back to you on this one, i'm not hot on the terminology

our legal dept will get back to you on this one, i'm not hot on the terminology

Wow you have a legal department,cool.I thought it was a fairly straight forward question to be honest.i wasn't looking for any legal terms.:up:

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Wow you have a legal department,cool.I thought it was a fairly straight forward question to be honest.i wasn't looking for any legal terms.:up:

i realised how wanky it sounded - was supposed to be a bit of a joke. but yes, adam who is studying law is dealing with that side of things

i realised how wanky it sounded - was supposed to be a bit of a joke. but yes, adam who is studying law is dealing with that side of things

No man you have to keep on top of those things or they can come back to bite you,those are just standard questions really.It's good you have on person on the case to deal with legal stuff[although music law is a different thing all together],that can free yourself up to deal with the creative side and answer e mails and stuff.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

tbh this is a non-commercial venture and will never be used to generate funds for our personal use (only future releases). so, running this as a serious business is not something we are currently interested in. however, the legality is important and as you say music law is different - and will be more important when we are working with artists that we haven't already been mates with for years (such as the guys in BLP).

Cool,although if i were to release tracks through your label and there was money being generated through sales,i would want know what kind of percentages went to the label and would the label foot the bill for the pressing etc.Or would costs be split between the label and the artist.:up: