aberdeen-music

The Tunnels

Lemonade

"I was there the other night watching an electronic group from Berlin and only knew about it cause I got a text from the promoter earlier that night"

The night was an outside promoter if youre referring to Jeans Team so its his job to promote it which to be fair he did very well (posters/facebook invites etc) - if the event wasnt on the Tunnels website it could have been submitted quite easily by simply asking!

It was a great show, really enjoyed it.

I've used the text prior to the show technique and it's worth doing even just to pick up one or two extras. I agree that the promoter has responsiblity with providing information to the venue to in order for them to display it on webspaces.

I really like the venue, the guys who own/run it and put on all of my gigs there. I think from talking to random people on the street about shows (have been know to take to this type of promotion too), there are plenty of people who don't know even where it is. Might be good to get a signpost or something to help with this. Perhaps get Sir Ian to chip in some of the 50 mil to install a lift going through St Nicholas Square directly to the venue. Be good if the council installed a big ass digital display board or something for that kind of what's on information in St Nicholas Square.

Aren't the prices pretty much standard for a bar in the city centre?

I was in Warehouse on Sat but can't remember how much a drink cost - probably didnt buy one, i'd had enough.

I wouldnt say Tunnels was expensive though.

Tunnels is about average for a city centre, especially one with a late licence. Warehouse is cheap as fuck though. 1.50 for a spirit and mixer! That's 1995 prices!

Is 2.90 a pint that shocking anymore though? Once it gets beyond 3, that's when I think "hud the fuck on, that's a bit pricey". If I get change from 3, I won't really notice the price. I used to be like this but with 2 as the benchmark, but beer prices have gone up significantly since I started drinking (legally) nearly 10 years ago.

Not really that shocking these days but when you put it in perspective of tennants in comparison to other lagers that are superior in quality you'd expect Tennants to be slightly cheaper.

It's more or less a dig at beer pricing in general so scrap that hehe.

I think Tunnels is about average price for drinks, but I only really go to Tunnels/Drummonds/Northern Bar/Korova when not in The Moorings. And I obviously prefer Moorings prices, which are proper good as well as having a better selection than any of the above.

The Moorings is ace. If The Moorings was a man, I'd suck him off.

gig listings

hen here ,

for the tunnels web site i totally stopped advertising local showcases because i got so many local bands canceling every week , i got so sick of putting the listings together , sending them to the web host , then two days later i`d have to restructure and readvertise the whole night .

any outside promoter who wishes their gig to be advertised on the web site , please feel free to e.mail carmichaeljayne@hotmail.com

hen

Guest Gladstone
hen here ,

for the tunnels web site i totally stopped advertising local showcases because i got so many local bands canceling every week , i got so sick of putting the listings together , sending them to the web host , then two days later i`d have to restructure and readvertise the whole night .

any outside promoter who wishes their gig to be advertised on the web site , please feel free to e.mail carmichaeljayne@hotmail.com

hen

Pretty fair point, it has to be said.

I've seen my fair share of bands pulling out of my gigs.

Could you maybe add something like 'Local Metal Bands Night' or 'Local Indie Bands Night' or something like that? Just so outsiders looking in can at least get an idea of what's going on?

• 2 weeks later...
As for advertising. I do agree with its the promoters individual responsibility to sort out getting a crowd in but It would help if the Tunnels stuff was a bit more up to date especially the myspace.

Saying that we do our best to advertise with a reasonably big poster run and informing a lot of sites such as Ents24 but it still doesn't really seem to do the job. The main pull factor seems to be weather or not the band has a good support and it is quite rare that you get a large number of folk coming down just for a laugh.

The advertising doesn't take a massive amount of time but if you still get a small crowd it can be pretty disheartning. For Tunnels and Drummonds at least there still making money off venue hire and the amount of drink at a pricey rate.

hen here ,

hen

can you not get the web host to set up the site you can update listings yourself? might make it easier.

• 2 weeks later...