aberdeen-music

The Tunnels

Lemonade

Does anyone ever actually know what gigs are on at The Tunnels and when? (Specifically this week). I thought they had bands on pretty much every night in there but their website is only showing one gig this week and there's nothing on this website or their Myspace. So is it just shut the rest of the time or what?

I would go to a lot more gigs there if I actually knew what was on, but they don't make it easy! I'm searching for a gig to go to this week to review for the Aberzine. Anyone want to be the subject of this week's review? Let me know when and where to turn up... :gringo:

It has been like this for sometime now to be honest. It's just aswell there has been some pro active guys in the local bands. Fair enough you maybe wouldn't expect any promotion directly from The Tunnels if someone just hired a room for a gig but not when it The Tunnels who are booking the gigs.

Anyone who has been to or a played a gig in The Tunnels recently, noticed the sound becoming pretty ding?

I haven't played the Tunnels for ages now, who is doing the sound at the moment?

Aye, it is a bit of a pain that the Tunnels don't list what they have on each night on their website. Their facebook account tended to barrage me with status updates about what was on each day IIRC; but this irritated me greatly and I deleted them.

Guest Gladstone
I thought having no more than a bass drum mic and snare mic for the kit was pretty poor. No tom mics, no overheads.

Ah well.

That didn't used to be the case at all. Not played there for nearly a year, but when we first started playing there it used to take Jenny about 40 minutes to set up all the mics for the drums, and soundcheck the kit.

If the Tunnels was advertised and run better, it could be the hub of the Aberdeen music scene in my opinion, but they tend to rely on local bands to do the promotion for themselves, and the external promoters to bring in the touring bands, and do the promotion.

There is a mailing list that I'm signed up to that punts an e-mail out each month with gig listings, but I think it just tends to list the bigger name acts coming to the venue.

I'd love to run that place.

That didn't used to be the case at all. Not played there for nearly a year, but when we first started playing there it used to take Jenny about 40 minutes to set up all the mics for the drums, and soundcheck the kit.

That's my point :up:

It used to be great and we'd always get an awesome drum sound. So much mic'ing and ability to accomodate requirements and supply to the monitors as needed, but nowadays it's a far cry from that.

Or at least has been the last couple of times I've played there.

Tunnels room 1 is has a pretty good setup and can handle fully mic'd up kits and various monitor setups with ease. Tunnels room 2 (where you guys played the other night) is a totally different affair, and trying to make blazing loud metal bands sound good with the limited gear available in that room can be tricky. We try our best though and if backline volume is kept at reasonable volume it can sound alright.

Try making a 9 piece funk band sound great in Tunnel 2! Runcie is definitely the man, well all the guys that have done our sound in T2 actually, making the most of the tools at hand. An upgrade/overhaul of the systems would go down a treat, espcially in Tunnel 2. I actually prefer the layout and atmosphere in there when it comes to playing but the sound totally lets it down. Tunnel 1 is great for rammed gigs but that'll never happen if they don't let people know what is going down in a better way..

I was there the other night watching an electronic group from Berlin and only knew about it cause I got a text from the promoter earlier that night.

Does anyone ever actually know what gigs are on at The Tunnels and when? (Specifically this week). I thought they had bands on pretty much every night in there but their website is only showing one gig this week and there's nothing on this website or their Myspace. So is it just shut the rest of the time or what?

I would go to a lot more gigs there if I actually knew what was on, but they don't make it easy! I'm searching for a gig to go to this week to review for the Aberzine. Anyone want to be the subject of this week's review? Let me know when and where to turn up... :gringo:

Website currently shows

WED 10th - THE SHAKEDOWN PROJECT + support

THU 11th - - SUNCELL + support

then the club nights at the weekend so there is stuff up.

Home

"I was there the other night watching an electronic group from Berlin and only knew about it cause I got a text from the promoter earlier that night"

The night was an outside promoter if youre referring to Jeans Team so its his job to promote it which to be fair he did very well (posters/facebook invites etc) - if the event wasnt on the Tunnels website it could have been submitted quite easily by simply asking!

Guest Gladstone
"I was there the other night watching an electronic group from Berlin and only knew about it cause I got a text from the promoter earlier that night"

The night was an outside promoter if youre referring to Jeans Team so its his job to promote it which to be fair he did very well (posters/facebook invites etc) - if the event wasnt on the Tunnels website it could have been submitted quite easily by simply asking!

I don't actually buy this argument at all. It is in Tunnels best interest to at least advertise what's going on through their website/myspace etc as well.

From experience the hire fee for Tunnels is very modest, so they can't be making much money out of a gig that an outside promoter puts on, and then hardly anyone comes along to. Surely they want as many people in the door every night of the week to maximise on bar cash and repeat trade through people coming down, liking the venue, seeing the posters on the wall etc etc.

It is the promoter's job to promote the gig, yes. But, if I ran the Tunnels, I'd make damn sure that every single gig was at the very least listed on the website / myspace - and if something like Jeans Team was on, I'd want a wee feature on them on the website etc. Admittedly, that's starting to get a little more time consuming, but updating the listings can't be that difficult.

I think the Tunnels is a decent enough wee venue. I just dont always think it smells too good and like the Toilets are just really awful sometimes (almost seems punk haha).

I try and get Drummonds as much as possible but its very rare I do get it now.

As for sound yeah I do agree the sound hasn't been that great as of late but its still alright. It would be better if each band got a sound check and not just the first and last bands I feel that's the biggest issue! I have with the place (although my sound is never gash when runcie does it).

I suggest loading in a little earlier and getting the bands sound checked.. would make such an immense different!

As for advertising. I do agree with its the promoters individual responsibility to sort out getting a crowd in but It would help if the Tunnels stuff was a bit more up to date especially the myspace.

My Two Cents.

I don't actually buy this argument at all. It is in Tunnels best interest to at least advertise what's going on through their website/myspace etc as well.

From experience the hire fee for Tunnels is very modest, so they can't be making much money out of a gig that an outside promoter puts on, and then hardly anyone comes along to. Surely they want as many people in the door every night of the week to maximise on bar cash and repeat trade through people coming down, liking the venue, seeing the posters on the wall etc etc.

It is the promoter's job to promote the gig, yes. But, if I ran the Tunnels, I'd make damn sure that every single gig was at the very least listed on the website / myspace - and if something like Jeans Team was on, I'd want a wee feature on them on the website etc. Admittedly, that's starting to get a little more time consuming, but updating the listings can't be that difficult.

Im not suggesting that the promotion is great - its far from it for local stuff and indeed some of the touring events. However for an outside promoter all they need to do is send a small piece previewing the gig and itll get put up on the site like shown by the fact all my upcoming ones are on there. Theres a lot more could be getting done promo wise to make things busier granted!

I hate being such a bitch cause I do love the tunnels and drummonds but the drinks are way too over priced aswell. I was there for a gig and I was a fiver for a double vodka and coke and went to warehouse right after and it was half the price... When I put an over 18 gig on at tunnels I struggle to get folk down cause of the prices... not gonna deny that.

Guest Gladstone
Im not suggesting that the promotion is great - its far from it for local stuff and indeed some of the touring events. However for an outside promoter all they need to do is send a small piece previewing the gig and itll get put up on the site like shown by the fact all my upcoming ones are on there. Theres a lot more could be getting done promo wise to make things busier granted!

Fair enough - I hadn't actually looked at the website to critique it. But I have been on fairly recently, and found it out of date a lot of the time.

A promoter should definitely be doing all in his/her power to get stuff on Tunnels website / mailshot etc. but I think The Tunnels should definitely be doing more as well.

I think it's a good venue, but could be brilliant with some more effort.

Guest Gladstone
I hate being such a bitch cause I do love the tunnels and drummonds but the drinks are way too over priced aswell. I was there for a gig and I was a fiver for a double vodka and coke and went to warehouse right after and it was half the price... When I put an over 18 gig on at tunnels I struggle to get folk down cause of the prices... not gonna deny that.

That's not something I've ever noticed about Tunnels/Drummonds before - I thought they were pretty average in terms of drinks prices. I'm a pint of lager kind of man, and don't remember ever being taken aback by the price of drink.

In fact, one of the last times I was promoting a gig in Drummonds, I got a free pint from Scott (another New Deer lad!). Yas.

I actually like the Tunnels I just think they could make a bit more effort to promote what's on. As I said I was actually sitting at my computer yesterday actively looking for a gig to go to, and I couldn't find anything from the Tunnels, after looking on their website, their Myspace, the Kiosque, the "What's On" bit on this website, and searching on Google.

In the end I stayed in and watched films.

And while we're on the subject, how do you find out what's on at Drummonds? They don't even seem to have a website and google doesn't give much away.

If Tunnels 2 could be given a wee gear overhaul, I.e drum mics and suchlike it would make room 2 great. Doing a fine enough job though Runcie with the gear you're given to work with.

Soundchecks from my memory are usually allowed at the bands request.

Promotion - is lacking in alot of areas but that's entirely upto the booking agent,promoter or whatever you want to call yourselves, Discretion. If the venue doesn't promote the gig or clubnight in one way,shape or form then that's fair enough. If they don't want the extra punters through the door then it's their lose.

As for the drink prices yes 2.90 for a pint of Tennants is shocking but if you don't like it either don't drink or fuck off and go to the moorings, if you want a beer to enjoy while watching a band cough up.

Pints of water are better anyway ;-)

Guest Gladstone
If Tunnels 2 could be given a wee gear overhaul, I.e drum mics and suchlike it would make room 2 great. Doing a fine enough job though Runcie with the gear you're given to work with.

Soundchecks from my memory are usually allowed at the bands request.

Promotion - is lacking in alot of areas but that's entirely upto the booking agent,promoter or whatever you want to call yourselves, Discretion. If the venue doesn't promote the gig or clubnight in one way,shape or form then that's fair enough. If they don't want the extra punters through the door then it's their lose.

As for the drink prices yes 2.90 for a pint of Tennants is shocking but if you don't like it either don't drink or fuck off and go to the moorings, if you want a beer to enjoy while watching a band cough up.

Pints of water are better anyway ;-)

Is 2.90 a pint that shocking anymore though? Once it gets beyond 3, that's when I think "hud the fuck on, that's a bit pricey". If I get change from 3, I won't really notice the price. I used to be like this but with 2 as the benchmark, but beer prices have gone up significantly since I started drinking (legally) nearly 10 years ago.