aberdeen-music

Euro qualifiers thread

Alphas

Guest Gladstone

Loads of huns in the squad, but they are miles ahead at the top, so that's right enough.

Glad to see he's not handing the back 4 places to Celtic like Burley kept on doing, despite Celtic's defence being utter guff.

-----------------------Gordon

Hutton -- Caldwell -- Webster -- Whittaker

Brown -- Fletcher -- Robson

McFadden

Fletcher

Boyd

Something like that would do for me, with some pretty good back up in Thomson, Miller, Iwelumo.

I just hope that Levein has enough sense to not fall into the trap of playing Darren Fletcher as an attacking midfeilder just because he plays for Man Utd. We have creative players in the squad that can do that side of things better than Fletcher, and we can keep him to doing what he does best, which is getting in everyone's faces, breaking up the play, and playing simple but effective passes to the more advanced midfielders.

I would worry slightly with having McFadden in there in midfield because of his lack of discipline but I think Fletcher is that good and has enough work in him to make up for any lack thereof from McFadden.

The fixtures terrify me. The past two campaigns we've been drawn against the "big" team in the last match needing to win to qualify and we've fucked it up (Holland for WC 2010, Italy for Euro 2008). And who are we playing last this time? Spain. I am willing to bet 10 that going into the last game, we will need three points in Madrid to qualify.

Starting Boyd and Miller up top against the Czechs might not be a bad shout if Levein wants to have a go at them. Fletcher is my favourite Scotland striker, and McFadden should probably be accommodated somewhere, but Boyd and Miller have been in excellent form for Rangers this season.

It's nice to see a few fresh faces in the squad. International friendlies should be all about trying new players out, so let's see how they do.

And not very good.

I've spent this evening sat in a darkened room shaking nervously at the prospect of Gary Kenneth man-marking Fernando Torres.

Torres is rubbish now anyway. Frail. It's all groin strains and rusty knees. He'll be doing a Dean Ashton in no time.

Hopefully not though. Hopefully he'll just leave Liverpool and play for a team with a bit more ambition, worthy of his talent

Garry Kenneth is better than Pele. You better believe it.

Three Arabs (alright, one's really a Hun) in the Scotland squad! Craig, you're a good man. Dixon, Webster and Kenneth all deserve the call up, and you won't find any of them shirking responsibility.

I found it rather surprising but then.....maybe to be expected.

Just be glad that Calderwood didn't get the job - Mackie and Derek Young would be in with a shout to support Chris "goal machine" Maguire upfront in a team captained by Severin. Dutch amateurs with Scottish grannies would then follow.

First team tomorrow night...

Craig Levein has selected his first starting line-up of the new era for the Scotland national team.

The national coach has chosen his strongest possible XI for the visit of Czech Republic for Hampden Park tomorrow.

Andy Webster will wear the dark blue for the first time in four years partnering Gary Caldwell at the heart of defence.

Lee Wallace and James McFadden will both start the match if they can prove their fitness tomorrow morning. If neither of them make it, Paul Dixon, of Dundee United, will make his debut at left back, while Graham Dorrans, of West Bromwich Albion, will replace McFadden if required.

The Scottish FA website can reveal the line-up for tomorrow as follows:

Craig Gordon

Alan Hutton

Gary Caldwell

Andy Webster

Lee Wallace

Barry Robson

Scott Brown

Darren Fletcher

Kevin Thomson

James McFadden

Kenny Miller

Glad we've freshened things up at the back, Webster has certainly deserved his place this season. I would like to have seen Dorrans start as he's had a blinding season so far but still a decent midfield. Just heard on the news Fletcher is to be given a similar role to his Man U position.

I've always been critical of Caldwell and Miller but let's see how they perform under a new manager. I'd imagine Boyd will get a decent run out in the second half as well.