aberdeen-music

Edinburgh

DJ Jo-D

Guest idol_wild

This thread is pretty useful for this:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/general-discussion/58588-good-pubs-edinburgh.html

My favourite pub is the Blue Blazer, though it's not exactly inexpensive, sadly, but the range of drinks available is pretty mighty.

I've always enjoyed eating at 99 in Hanover Street and they have quaint menus made out of old Beano and Dandy annuals.

If you're down in the Leith area at all, I can heartily recommend the King's Wark - brilliant pub and brilliant food. But, relatively speaking, it's quite far from the city centre.

If you're down in the Leith area at all, I can heartily recommend the King's Wark - brilliant pub and brilliant food.

Having checked google street view that appears to be beside my favourite pub from a Leith pub crawl I did a few years ago, The Malt and Hops. Is that still any good?

Guest idol_wild
Having checked google street view that appears to be beside my favourite pub from a Leith pub crawl I did a few years ago, The Malt and Hops. Is that still any good?

I've not been to The Malt and Hops actually. I haven't been out/drinking nearly as much as I'd like to have been since I moved here. I'm going to The King's Wark tomorrow though, so I may pop into The Malt and Hops for a swift half.

Heading out at night City Cafe is always ok for a pint & casual dining..burgers n the like.

For live band stuff check Sneaky Petes.

Club wise check Caberet Volitare(sp) make sure you check out the Speakeasy bar in there (upstairs). Its pretty cool. Usually has a decent night on but checking listings.

Edinburgh on a whole is pretty lacking in decent clubs and live venues I find.

Unless you hit George Street for shirts, shoes n shit music type clubbing. Pleanty of them. (Mind you some of these places do pretty good cocktails :s )

Etaket (Frederick St) is worth hitting up for tea n cakes :up:

-

Guest idol_wild
The King's Wark is a couple of minutes from my flat. Might check that out at some point soon, been looking for a pub (other than the one I work in) where a stab-vest isn't necessary if you don't have a Leith passport.

In that case, I'd recommend Boda and also Victoria - both are on Leith Walk, about two thirds of the way down. Both run by the same people, only two blocks apart, with a fine selection of drinks, decent music and a good relaxed atmosphere. :up:

In that case, I'd recommend Boda and also Victoria - both are on Leith Walk, about two thirds of the way down. Both run by the same people, only two blocks apart, with a fine selection of drinks, decent music and a good relaxed atmosphere. :up:

I am aware of them, been in Victoria a few times meeting people. I'm pretty sure the same couple own PJs on Elm Row as well.

Unfortunately being >40 now, I feel a bit out of place amongst the arty 20 somethings that frequent them.

And they're a good bit further away than the shore is, I'm just off Henderson Street.

Heading out at night City Cafe is always ok for a pint & casual dining..burgers n the like.

For live band stuff check Sneaky Petes.

Club wise check Caberet Volitare(sp) make sure you check out the Speakeasy bar in there (upstairs). Its pretty cool. Usually has a decent night on but checking listings.

-

City Cafe keeps cropping up...is that an after hours munch kinda place or just general?

Think gonna head to Cab Voltaire last on not been yet. Also there is a funk and soul night on in voodoorooms might check out.

this place is meant to be good too Chop Chop Restaurants Ltd

Guest idol_wild

City Cafe is decent, but they are quite expensive for what you get, in my opinion. Not horrendously expensive - you can still eat for less than a tenner - but your pint will top it up to about 20!