The Secret of Kells Tomm Moore and Nora Twomey

Up Bob Peterson and Pete Docter

Best Foreign Language Film

Ajami (Israel) in Arabic and Hebrew Scandar Copti and Yaron Shani

El Secreto de Sus Ojos (Argentina) in Spanish Juan Jos Campanella

The Milk of Sorrow (Peru) in Spanish Claudia Llosa

A Prophet (France) in French Jacques Audiard

The White Ribbon (Germany) in German Michael Haneke

I've only seen one of the films up for best picture :O I haven't been to many films this year. Chuffed to see QT up for best director like.

Full list of nominees here.

82nd Academy Awards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just hope its not going to be another Oscar whitewash with Cameron winning everything, despite his movie being pretty much amazing effects at the expense of a decent story.

Great to see Tarantino back in again. Don't think he'll win though. Would be great to see something like the Hurt Locker win, or even Up or Up in the Air.

Don't really get why they expanded the category to 10 pictures. The 5 was always cut down from a bigger group anyway, so it kind of seems more like a token gesture than anything.

Though love that Pixar have been nominated for best picture. Chritoph Waltz for the oscar.

I haven't seen any of them other than 'Inglourious Basterds' and 'District 9'. I would definitely like to see 'Inglourious Basterds' win something as I thought it was rather good. At the very least Christoph Waltz should get the nod, I can't imagine the other performances topping his.

I would love to see Tarantino accepting an Oscar, imagine how hyper that speech would be....

Why do you give a f**k that we give a f**k?

Why do you give a fuck that I give a fuck about you giving a fuck?

But really, we already have a films thread for people who appreciate films and want to talk about them. The Oscars are just a corny celebrity jizz-fest. I suppose it simply annoys me that people happen to find it to be an entertaining and important event. I know I should just ignore it, but it's just one of those things that annoys me, like people who enjoy Chris Moyles.

I haven't watched the Oscars in years, used to when it was on BBC2 but then it switched to Sky before I had it....it's actually pretty boring, it's better to tape and watch later so you can fast forward the awards for 'best use of a tablecloth in a period movie'.

I just find it quite interesting to see who wins, it may be meaningless in the grand scheme of things but I end up hoping something I've seen that stands no chance wins something.

It's kind of like the Brits when someone completely off the wall ends up in a category...someone like PJ Harvey in Best British Female, even though it will just go to Annie Lennox or someone else who apparently still has a career somewhere...

I'm with you on Moyles though, hate that obese twat.

Apart from when Coldplay's 'Yellow' came out and he suggested the start of the vocals sounded like Alan Partridge singing, that was funny, he can have that....

But really, we already have a films thread for people who appreciate films and want to talk about them. The Oscars are just a corny celebrity jizz-fest. I suppose it simply annoys me that people happen to find it to be an entertaining and important event. I know I should just ignore it, but it's just one of those things that annoys me, like people who enjoy Chris Moyles.

Wow, you're really edgy and radical man.

You should start a Facebook campaign.

It is a celebrity jizz-fest but it's also a good method of sparking a more focussed discussion of the relative merits of films from 2009. The general films thread is fine but can drift off in several directions depending on what's been on TV in the last week, there's no good reason stopping 2 threads covering different aspects of the film world co-existing within one forum.

Suck it up, fella.

• Upvote 1