aberdeen-music

Mr Peppermint, Carson Wells, Min Diesel, Y Change Costume @ Cellar 35, 12th February

qzdiablo

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild
I recall asking Conn (is that his name?) from Y Change Costume about films with Jeff Goldblum in them as a sly way of trying to tell him I've written about them for The Fly magazine. Sneaky.

Pfft, you're just covering all the same Aberdeen bands as I did. A year ago.

Plagiarist.

Guest idol_wild
Am I? Oh shit, sorry. Fictional money is in the post.

To be fair, they still credit you among the contributors, so it might as well still be your work,haha.

I jest. But to be fair, I don't blame you. When I got the post, I invited bands, promoters and venues to get in touch if they'd like something written about them. Literally nobody got in touch, so I just wrote about bands I quite liked. And given our relatively similar musical preferences, there will always be duplication.

Still, I did find it strange that no local bands or promoters wanted a feature in The Fly.

I jest. But to be fair, I don't blame you. When I got the post, I invited bands, promoters and venues to get in touch if they'd like something written about them. Literally nobody got in touch, so I just wrote about bands I quite liked. And given our relatively similar musical preferences, there will always be duplication.

Still, I did find it strange that no local bands or promoters wanted a feature in The Fly.

Exactly, it's a magazine that circulates over 100,000 copies a month!

It was an enjoyable evening. I think that Min Diesel have the potential to be a really great band, I was dead impressed with the songs and stuff. It had been ages since I saw Y Change Costume (maybe a year or something), but they have definitely come along leaps and bounds. I'm not sure if I liked Mr. Peppermint, they had some good moments, but I'm a bit unmoved by them. Sound better recorded. Carson Wells put on a good show, but I think that the best band of the night was Min Diesel. Zippy is right good at the guitar.

This show was awesome. Discovered a new beer called Eidelweiss, which was good. And the music was good too. 'Cept bein' at the front for Y Change Costume, purely because the neck of the bass kept looming towards me menacingly, like a lightsabre, or a priests cock.

This show was awesome. Discovered a new beer called Eidelweiss, which was good. And the music was good too. 'Cept bein' at the front for Y Change Costume, purely because the neck of the bass kept looming towards me menacingly, like a lightsabre, or a priests cock.

That beer was great. The bass head hit me on the waist but I'm going to chalk that as being 'immersed' in the musical extravaganza.

last night went tremendously, TREE-MEN-DOUS. mega-chuffed with the turn-out, thanks to everyone who came down.

y change, mr p and carson wells were all great in their own ways. was stuck at the back for y change, couldn't really see them but they sounded as tight as i've ever heard them noticed a fair few people getting into their set.

was pretty blown away by the contrast between the subtleties of the peppermint record and the FULL-ON CLUSTERFUCK of noise in their live performance.

as usual, i felt almost exhausted trying to keep up with carson w's time-changes and shifts and whatnot, i wish i was half as dexterous as those dudes. huw doesn't know how to wear a hat though.

min diesel were just riddick.

good gig. cellar is a great venue.

thought min diesel were pretty decent, sounded a lot like mission of burma at times with some good guitar and bass riffs, was told that stu ain't a drummer and is still learning so im sure once it tightens up and gets a bit of dynamic i'll be right into it. 6/10

y change were no bad, couple of slow heavy bits with the bass tapping rocked my world. The bass needs a bit more definition though i.e. less low end gain and "wide" sound and more "sledgehammer" type precise sound where you can make out the notes would make the dynamic jump right out. 6/10

Mr Peppermint were pretty good, I was expecting yet another dull lightning bolt/coachwhips/etc etc band regurgitating the same old strucutres and scales and going for noise/feel over music. Thankfully they had a shitload of interesting songs and guitar bits. They had their sound nailed too. Have always disliked those mask vocals in other bands as it simply reeks. For me the vocals could add a whole lot of dynamic to their sound if they concentrated on them a bit more and actually said something. 7/10

Carson Wells were band of the night for me, thought they were absolutely stunning. Clinical set. Tight as a nun, great sound, great songs; total winner. If Russ Bray was watching their set he would have been croaking out a fair few one-haaaaaaaaaaa-handredaannneeeiiighty's. Looking forward to hearing recordingsa/more gigs. 10/10

I thoroughly enjoyed Min Diesel and Y Change Costume, but then I'm clearly biased about them.

Can't say the same for Mr.Peppermint or Carson Wells though. In fact, in the case of Mr.Peppermint; I couldn't wait for their set to end. Great they may be, but DEFINITELY not for me.

Sorry about that, Rosie.

Dumbfounding turnout made the Cellar look packed which is right good. Well done (and thanks!) to Dave, stu and Zippy for putting it on. More Cellar gigs on Fridays plz!

thought min diesel were good, but not as good as their first gig. i think this was mainly due to the sound though to be honest.

y change costume = no thanks. really didn't think much of them at all, won't be rushing to see them again.

mr peppermint had some interesting bits but didn't do much for me.

carson wells were easily the highlight of the night, but then i suspect they would be at most line-ups in aberdeen. amazing band. despite the technical wizardry on show, they really have some good songs as well; which is something that a lot of widdly bands seem unable to do.

i had a magic time in cellar 35, loved all bands that played and had a great time getting drunk and shouting abuse at other bands from the front.

sorry to nefarious c for the near misses with my bass, i actually had people fearing for the safety of your nuts during the set. And thers no way i could ever pick up the fly magazine references from jeff goldblum films, as awesome as he is. wot issue were you writing for euan? would like to keep a look out for it.

more cellar 35 gigs too please!!!

i had a magic time in cellar 35, loved all bands that played and had a great time getting drunk and shouting abuse at other bands from the front.

sorry to nefarious c for the near misses with my bass, i actually had people fearing for the safety of your nuts during the set. And thers no way i could ever pick up the fly magazine references from jeff goldblum films, as awesome as he is. wot issue were you writing for euan? would like to keep a look out for it.

more cellar 35 gigs too please!!!

Next month's, hopefully. That would be March.

jeff_goldblum_07.jpg