aberdeen-music

live and unsigned auditions

HARLEY BENTON

engraved, a metal group from turriff will be tavelling to glasgow for their audition at live and unsigned. the audition will last all of two minutes!!

just wondering if any other local bands will be there or if the distance would put you off entering.

when i asked the organisers about why glasgow was the only venue in scotland i was told it was because they wouldn't get enough bands entering further north.

what's your thoughts on this view, have they got it wrong or are they just not interested in the talent in scotland?

I hear the metal scene in Turrif is Turrific.

facepalm.jpg

Standard. Yeah, I can see why they wouldn't bother with the North. When you have the first and second largest cities in the country a mere 45 miles apart, it's fair to assume the mountain won't be coming to Mohamed.

Good luck though! :up:

Wouldnt bother with it if I were you mate.

No band has ever got anywhere from winning a competition. They are typically awful and are usually only out to make out of the bands fanbase or promoting a product eg a beer or moblie phone company.

A 2 min audition?? WTF??

it's just something the band want to do, exposure i guess.

2 mins is a bit shitty but i guess it's just to see if your any good.

What does this audition win you? is it like that programme that used to be on T4 Sundays, where the bassist from Blur and that really annoying cowbag would just said "mehhh. I'm just not feeling it, y'know?"

this is taken from the website

Live And Unsigned

MAIN PRIZES

There are two fantastic main prizes for the overall winner of the competition. The first is from Extreme who will also be offering the overall winner of the competition the chance to work with the Extreme Group and their clothing and licensing division Extreme State. The winner will work with Extreme States Creative Director and business team to create visuals and graphics that communicate and embody the acts personality. This will help develop the winning acts brand and help them generate additional revenue streams that both increase income and build a brand! As part of this development work the winning act will work with the team to design a clothing collection that will be sold on the acts website, at gigs and in retail.

The second main prize for the overall winner of the competition is a management and recording contract with Future Music Management, with an investment of up to 30, 000 to release a single. The winning act will also have the opportunity to tour the UK, work on new material and record their debut video. The winners will be crowned the UK's best Live and Unsigned act and will be thrust into the media spotlight through television, radio and print media. Furthermore, the winners will be invited on the UK Live and Unsigned tour, which will expose their music to over 40,000 people. Its all to play for!

There are also plenty of other prizes up for grabs along the way too but its not just the prizes on offer, its the opportunities. The competition gives opportunities and exposure to all acts that enter. Live and Unsigned offers competitors the chance to perform live to capacity audiences in some of the UKs most prestigious music venues. Additionally, the Grand final provides acts with the chance to impress and meet many guests from record labels, agencies and the entertainment industry. Grand finalists also get to play at the 02 in London and share the stage at the Live and Unsigned Festival!

Has no one ever seen Bill and Ted?

Wyld Stallyns have a lot to answer for.

This is silly. Get a regular gig. Even if only the sound guy and his bored looking mate turn up, there's more chance they'll enjoy your songs than the sort of money grabbing, naive-band-exploiting ballbag that would judge this sort of nonsense will.

I'm not sure why you're telling us you're doing this? Surely this would just be something you would do and if successful say "We're in this competition on TV..." and if not never mention or think about it again.

I don't understand. At all.

Previous Winners -

2007 BKAY & KAZZ : NEW SINGLE - OUT DEC 15th on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads (Hip Hop/Dancehall)

2008 Kiddo360 on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads (Female fronted Electronica)

2009 The Detours on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads (Alternative Rock - Appearing at The Moorings on May 15th)

It's all stuff that fits into easily defined, easily understandable and popular mainstream musical genres. I don't know if the judges will consider Iron Maiden-esque stuff to be in the same category as that.

I don't want to put you off in any way, all credit for doing it, but don't be disheartened if it's two minutes and cheerio.

12-50 to enter what a scam! Honestly I dunno why people bother with crap like this, the chances of success are minute. What a crock of shit expecting to travel down at your own cost for a 2 minute audition. I would suspect the finalists are already picked anyway. Thats what these people pray on; eager young bands desperate to make it. At least some pay to play battle of the bands schemes actually give you the privilege of playing a gig!

This is what was written on the website...

Apply online and, if successful, you will be invited to perform a live amplified audition piece. This will be in front of the Live and Unsigned Judging panel, thus allowing live talent and ability to be judged appropriately. If successful you will be invited to perform at the Live Regional Final shows. Auditions will be starting again in January 2010 dates and venues are as follows;

This is what it should say...

Apply online and you will be successful if you give us your money. Come on down to some two bit venue, at your own cost, and play for a few minutes in front a bunch of music business nobodies who are only there cos they're getting free beer. We'll fill your head with the usual shit like recording contracts, extensive tours and promo videos but in reality the finalists are already pre determined cos they have one small step up the old music business ladder. But thanks for your cash and have a safe trip home.

Having said that you may enter and win the thing and prove my theory to be complete pish! So good luck with the audition anyway.

I'm not a cynical bastard about these things... honest! No actually i am!

it's just something the band want to do, exposure i guess.

2 mins is a bit shitty but i guess it's just to see if your any good.

this is taken from the website

Live And Unsigned

MAIN PRIZES

There are two fantastic main prizes for the overall winner of the competition. The first is from Extreme who will also be offering the overall winner of the competition the chance to work with the Extreme Group and their clothing and licensing division Extreme State. The winner will work with Extreme States Creative Director and business team to create visuals and graphics that communicate and embody the acts personality. This will help develop the winning acts brand and help them generate additional revenue streams that both increase income and build a brand! As part of this development work the winning act will work with the team to design a clothing collection that will be sold on the acts website, at gigs and in retail.

The second main prize for the overall winner of the competition is a management and recording contract with Future Music Management, with an investment of up to 30, 000 to release a single. The winning act will also have the opportunity to tour the UK, work on new material and record their debut video. The winners will be crowned the UK's best Live and Unsigned act and will be thrust into the media spotlight through television, radio and print media. Furthermore, the winners will be invited on the UK Live and Unsigned tour, which will expose their music to over 40,000 people. Its all to play for!

There are also plenty of other prizes up for grabs along the way too but its not just the prizes on offer, its the opportunities. The competition gives opportunities and exposure to all acts that enter. Live and Unsigned offers competitors the chance to perform live to capacity audiences in some of the UKs most prestigious music venues. Additionally, the Grand final provides acts with the chance to impress and meet many guests from record labels, agencies and the entertainment industry. Grand finalists also get to play at the 02 in London and share the stage at the Live and Unsigned Festival!

Seriously mate, this looks so shit.

Check the "management" company.

I mean there site alone looks like its been designed by a 14yr old whos watched too much Robocop.

But that aint the worst of it. Just look at the only act they represent.

Honest look!

Kiddo 360 - "With their ground breaking take on Hip-Rock, Funk-Hop"

H-o-l-y-s-h-i-t

They sound like the worst thing to ever perform music. Im actully too scared to check their myspace in the fear my ears may just go "right thats it, fuck you mate we're outta here" and run off the side of my head never to return. And that picture! Jesus dont even get me started on that picture...

Would you want to be on the same roster as them??? Jesus christ, I hope not.

futuremusicmanagement.index

And shock horror its all sponsored by Vodaphone.

Also the tickets are 7.50 for poor friends and family to pay to see there stilly mates band, who unfortunatley dont know any better, play in a useless competition.

Not meaning to sound negative about it or anythin :up:

-

Seriously mate, this looks so shit.

Check the "management" company.

I mean there site alone looks like its been designed by a 14yr old whos watched too much Robocop.

But that aint the worst of it. Just look at the only act they represent.

Honest look!

Kiddo 360 - "With their ground breaking take on Hip-Rock, Funk-Hop"

H-o-l-y-s-h-i-t

They sound like the worst thing to ever perform music. Im actully too scared to check their myspace in the fear my ears may just go "right thats it, fuck you mate we're outta here" and run off the side of my head never to return. And that picture! Jesus dont even get me started on that picture...

Would you want to be on the same roster as them??? Jesus christ, I hope not.

futuremusicmanagement.index

And shock horror its all sponsored by Vodaphone.

Also the tickets are 7.50 for poor friends and family to pay to see there stilly mates band, who unfortunatley dont know any better, play in a useless competition.

Not meaning to sound negative about it or anythin :up:

-

i see what you mean,the management company looks extremely dodgy.

if you had your own money to do uk tours etc then you wouldn't need a manegement company! and kiddo 360 well the less said the better.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
i see what you mean,the management company looks extremely dodgy.

if you had your own money to do uk tours etc then you wouldn't need a manegement company! and kiddo 360 well the less said the better.

i'm 100% certain that we could get them a gig in aberdeen at a number of venues, even if they aren't that good yet. anybody could. why not give us some more info about them, i guarantee that someone on this thread will offer them a gig and not force them to get involved with this horrible scam at their own cost.

i'm 100% certain that we could get them a gig in aberdeen at a number of venues, even if they aren't that good yet. anybody could. why not give us some more info about them, i guarantee that someone on this thread will offer them a gig and not force them to get involved with this horrible scam at their own cost.

Yeah stick their myspace up and if they're half decent they'll easily getta gig.

-

The path of least resistance is even slippier on the other side. It's ultimately more fulfilling and gives better grounding to the group if they set a range of their own goals to achieve. As they progress, and assuming their music goes down well, the goals can get bigger. Hard graft is only a good thing.