aberdeen-music

Inside Amadeus

Lemonade

I mind the Amadeus underage Foam Parties. Got a couple of quality traps at them. Used to alternate between them and the ice-skating disco at the Leisure Centre.

They were the days! Didn't they used to have Northsound DJ's at the ice rink too? There was also the underage nights at the Palace and De Niros. I think most people my age tend to remeber the Palace more for the underage nights than for anything else... not cool :(

Also killed off the Aberdeen Uni Gallowgate Union

AUSA killed the Gallowgate Union, not anything else. If I remeber rightly, they had to flog the place to pay off their debts - but the place itself was running at a profit. The Union was ace though, I still miss it, Thursdays were absolutely crazy in that place.

The stories about the bouncers towards the end are true enough about Amadeus. I have a mate who was fairly wasted in there. He's sitting down peacefully, not bothering anyone, when a bouncer charges up, grabs him in a headlock and throws him through the doors into the entry area bit. We're all "err...wtf?" and follow. Bear in mind that at this point, he's been sitting peacefully, wasted, for about an hour or so.

Turns out that they're accusing him of smashing a toilet - yet we know he hasn't been near the toilet since we got there and it's plainly a load of bollocks. They demanded cash, he tells them to fuck off, they threaten to call the police. We told them to piss off, only for them to threaten to beat us as well - though at this point, they hadn't actually done anything but throw him through the doors.

Eventually, they let him go with a promise to come back and pay for the damage. Utter bollocks, and I remeber thinking at the time that they had some sort of racket going on. To this day, I don't know - but there was definitely something dodgy about them demanding cash like that.

Wasn't Amadeus owned by First, incidentally? I thought that's why they ran the buses - because they could do it cheaply. I remeber towards the end, they were practically throwing free drink and entry vouchers down your throat.

Wasn't Amadeus owned by First, incidentally? I thought that's why they ran the buses - because they could do it cheaply. I remeber towards the end, they were practically throwing free drink and entry vouchers down your throat.

You're maybe getting it mixed up with First Leisure that used to own Superbowl and a number of nightclubs. Dunno if it owned Amadeus, for some reason I have it my head that it owned the Palace but I'm not sure if that's right.

also heard from a bloke at work that on the last night it all kicked off and there was a mass brawl involving bouncers and police. mainly due to the fact the bouncers were pricks if im correct!?

Nope - The bouncers could be cunts but I'd doubt there was enough people in for a fight. The place was dead on its feet.

I was in the night before they closed and there must have been far more staff than customers TBH. It was already scheduled to close at the end of that month but I think they just cut their losses and shut it early.

AUSA killed the Gallowgate Union, not anything else. If I remeber rightly, they had to flog the place to pay off their debts - but the place itself was running at a profit. The Union was ace though, I still miss it, Thursdays were absolutely crazy in that place.

But every other day, Saturday included the place was dead. I was on AUSA the year before it shut down and it was the Union that had huge debts. Also the University owned the building and I think (I could be wrong here) that the Bon Accord Centre offered them too much money to say no to.

I was in the night before they closed and there must have been far more staff than customers TBH. It was already scheduled to close at the end of that month but I think they just cut their losses and shut it early.

There were rumours going round about two years before it actually closed that it was closing down or had closed down. I think that was one of the reasons why people stopped going. Unlike Priory, Espionage or Liquid there was never any passing trade with Amadeus. You had to be going there to be going there and if one of your mates said 'Nah, I hear it's closing down' then you probably wouldn't have bothered.

But every other day, Saturday included the place was dead. I was on AUSA the year before it shut down and it was the Union that had huge debts. Also the University owned the building and I think (I could be wrong here) that the Bon Accord Centre offered them too much money to say no to.

I remember when I was in 1st and 2nd Year at Uni (2000 to 2002) the Union was heaving almost every night. Always used to spend Mondays in Sivells? geting wrecked. Think it had more RGU people than AU people in it aswell come to think about it... Then almost overnight it was dead, it wasn't that the offers completely stopped either ... Think it ran like this for the best part of the year before they pulled the plug on it. Debt would have crippled it eventually but it was the opening of all the new clubs that pulled the punters away.

I recall there were a few articles in the Gaudie at the time saying Students tastes's had changed and wanted to be seen in the 'posh' clubs and not a union. :down:

There were rumours going round about two years before it actually closed that it was closing down or had closed down. I think that was one of the reasons why people stopped going. Unlike Priory, Espionage or Liquid there was never any passing trade with Amadeus. You had to be going there to be going there and if one of your mates said 'Nah, I hear it's closing down' then you probably wouldn't have bothered.

Yes there were. The writing was on the wall for a good while before but they managed to keep it going on a dribble of out of town/event trade.

I also remember they made noises about taking-on the the then empty ABC Cinema (Site of Vue/Tiger Tiger) and moving the whole place into the city centre but the planners/licencing board killed that idea at an early stage.

After that, it was only a matter of time.