aberdeen-music

The best Scottish bands - another list

nick_radar

Guest Gladstone
brilliant Americanism in your use of 'is', there! Unless you're talking about the song by Japan, of course.

That's not an Americanism, it's correct grammar.

Life Without Buildings is a band. There's just one band, so "is" is the correct word.

I always assumed Boards of Canada were, well, Canadian! Biffy Clyro have to be in that list although their most recent work hasn't been as good as their first 3 albums. How many recent Scottish bands have Biffy Clyro as an influence? Many in my opinion, and surely that makes them an important Scottish band of the decade. It does seem a rather pointless thing to publish though.

Sorry I am obviously a complete and utter retard

I'm not being a dick or anything mate, it's just funny that two people have gone on at me about things that I didn't say! I also wasn't taking the piss out of your taste in music, more the fact that someone would deem them worthy of 'best' Scottish bands of the decade - there are bands that I like, who I still wouldn't think of including in a list...if you get my drift...

They're a lot more well known than The Twilight Sad...

Granted, you're definitely more likely to hear Camera Obscura on the radio. With stuff like press coverage though, I saw loads of interviews with The Twilight Sad in things like The Fly and The Skinny etc when their new album was coming out and there was very little of that kind of thing in the UK press for Camera Obscura's last album.

I guess thats a lot to do with the target audience of those kinds of magazines though?

Granted, you're definitely more likely to hear Camera Obscura on the radio. With stuff like press coverage though, I saw loads of interviews with The Twilight Sad in things like The Fly and The Skinny etc when their new album was coming out and there was very little of that kind of thing in the UK press for Camera Obscura's last album.

I guess thats a lot to do with the target audience of those kinds of magazines though?

Those magazines aren't really *that* big in terms of readership, it's normally people who are already "into Alternative music" that read them, due to their availability in record shops, music venues, etc.

Camera Obscura definitely play to bigger crowds - they've just done a sellout tour of Australia as far as I'm aware, and they do well in the States..

Those magazines aren't really *that* big in terms of readership, it's normally people who are already "into Alternative music" that read them, due to their availability in record shops, music venues, etc.

Camera Obscura definitely play to bigger crowds - they've just done a sellout tour of Australia as far as I'm aware, and they do well in the States..

Oh yeh definitely, on a global scale Camera Obscura are far bigger than Twilight Sad. They're pretty massive in Spain and South America also. My only real point was in Scotland itself there wasn't a major difference in popularity between Camera Obscura and The Twilight Sad. Saying that, last time I saw Camera Obscura they'd pretty much packed out the Barrowlands so I guess they've slowly got pretty big here to.

• 3 weeks later...