aberdeen-music

The best Scottish bands - another list

nick_radar

These lists are always troublesome as there are no real ground rulesif bands have existed into the noughties and are still producing strong work I can see that viewpoint - I disagree with Teenage Fanclub being in there, their best work is far far behind them, also Primal Scream doing one good album at the cusp of the noughties does not see them deserving of a place.

Nice to see Mogwai in there, their last couple of albums have been their strongest yet in my opinion and for me they probably are Scotland's finest. The Twilight Sad were treading water for a while, rehashing the same material but the new album is great so it's good to see them in there. I don't get the jist with Frightened Rabbit.I perhaps need to give them a go in terms of recordings.

Franz Ferdinand? Ugh. A couple of decent singles but for me one of the most overrated bands out there.

Belle and Sebastian - never been a fan, would rather Isobel Campbell have got a nod for her work with Mark Lanegan, her solo stuff's been pretty good as well.

Life Without Buildings - should one little-heard album qualify you for the list? - I'm not so sure.I'm still in the 'unconvinced' camp with the album, the vocals sound like a female version of Flowered Up....not that that's altogether bad mind you.

Guest Gladstone

Glasvegas should be in there - that album was the best album released by a Scottish band in the last decade (imo)

Glad Franz Ferdinand are on the list - they get slated a bit from many quarters, but the first 2 albums were great, and a very very good live band.

Camera Obscura are a notable absence.

Hopefully they'll stay absent. Forever.

Had a read of the comments bit below the article and much of what's been said here has been mentioned there too.

I don't particularly feel anything for the bands listed except BoC and a bit of Mogwai. I will acknowledge however that Franz have had an enormous impact so deserve inclusion on that basis. Biffy I loath, but I do acknowledge that lots of people seem to like them so their absence is a strange one.

Agree with other posters about TFC - they're extremely formulaic now. Last decent album was Songs From Northern Britain in '97. The Scream are the same and haven't done anything good for practically a decade and..aren't really Scottish anymore - that said, they do shift the units.

If I was Scottish and into anything other than Indie/Alternative/Twee, I'd feel quite alienated by this list. Distinct lack of metal. And I don't even like metal.

Life Without Buildings - should one little-heard album qualify you for the list? - I'm not so sure.I'm still in the 'unconvinced' camp with the album, the vocals sound like a female version of Flowered Up....not that that's altogether bad mind you.

Well, as you say, there are no real ground rules, so the fact that they only released one album (so have Glasvegas...) and that it wasn't commercially successful, shouldn't really matter? I'd say the influence that the band have had on other Scottish/UK/Worldwide bands that have gone on to become pretty big makes them more than worthy of inclusion!

Guest Gladstone
Well, as you say, there are no real ground rules, so the fact that they only released one album (so have Glasvegas...) and that it wasn't commercially successful, shouldn't really matter? I'd say the influence that the band have had on other Scottish/UK/Worldwide bands that have gone on to become pretty big makes them more than worthy of inclusion!

Yeah - I've never heard of these guys to be honest, but it's not a popularity contest. It's "best" which is massively subjective.

If it was me compiling the list I'd have put Indian Red Lopez in, and they've released one EP, but I just think they're fucking amazing.

I never mentioned Glasvegas, I don't believe they should have been in it either, I bought their album out of interest having never heard them, lotta pish, Mary Chain did it all far better 20 years ago....

I can't say I've ever seen LWB mentioned by any band, but then I'm not in the know with the grassroots alternative scene as you undoubtedly are. :)

Camera Obscura are a notable absence.

Seconded. If we're talking purely about bands output in the 00's then CO would definitely top my list. I suppose the reason they haven't made this list is that they are simply not well known enough in their home country, which is particularly strange as they've had some pretty incredible success abroad.

I never mentioned Glasvegas, I don't believe they should have been in it either, I bought their album out of interest having never heard them, lotta pish, Mary Chain did it all far better 20 years ago....

I can't say I've ever seen LWB mentioned by any band, but then I'm not in the know with the grassroots alternative scene as you undoubtedly are. :)

I'm talking about bands like Maximo Park!

Basically, all lists are subjective, obviously, and there's going to be a lot of debate about a list which simply has the title, 'best'.

Seconded. If we're talking purely about bands output in the 00's then CO would definitely top my list. I suppose the reason they haven't made this list is that they are simply not well known enough in their home country, which is particularly strange as they've had some pretty incredible success abroad.

They're a lot more well known than The Twilight Sad...

They're a lot more well known than The Twilight Sad...

I'd never heard of LWB until this thread/maybe heard you and joe mention them before, i'm listening now and really enjoying. However i'm not too sure about this statement, i know you can't really go by Myspace views but a quick looks reveals:

LWB profile views - 117,298

Twilight Sad profile views - 1,099,212

That is an extra 982 thousand profile views. Anyway, i'm not here to argue or anything, just found your point interesting. Do they still gig?

Guest Gladstone
I'd never heard of LWB until this thread/maybe heard you and joe mention them before, i'm listening now and really enjoying. However i'm not too sure about this statement, i know you can't really go by Myspace views but a quick looks reveals:

That is an extra 982 thousand profile views. Anyway, i'm not here to argue or anything, just found your point interesting. Do they still gig?

I think Richard was saying Camera Obscura are much better known than The Twilight Sad?

I'd still say that the Twilight Sad are better known than them anyway...?

eh mate, I was obviously talking about Camera Obscura if you have a look at the thread...