aberdeen-music

Formula 1 season 2010

Lemonade

2 months to go until the red lights go off in Bahrain and we've had the first team launch, with this rather sweet looking Mercedes-Benz. What a beautiful car.

56302_2.jpg

Theoretically, there could be as many as 8 drivers fighting for wins this season, as McLaren and Ferrari are going to be back with a vengeance, and Mercedes and Red Bull should hopefully be able to carry on the momentum from last season. All things point towards this season being an absolute blinder...

The 2010 field:

McLaren Mercedes

1 Jenson Button 2 Lewis Hamilton

Mercedes

3 Michael Schumacher 4 Nico Rosberg

Red Bull Racing

5 Sebastian Vettel 6 Mark Webber

Ferrari

7 Felipe Massa 8 Fernando Alonso

Williams Cosworth

9 Rubens Barrichello 10 Nico Hlkenberg

Renault

11 Robert Kubica 12 TBA

Force India Mercedes

14 Adrian Sutil 15 Vitantonio Liuzzi

Toro Rosso Ferrari

16 Sbastien Buemi 17 Jaime Alguersuari

Lotus Cosworth

18 Jarno Trulli 19 Heikki Kovalainen

Campos Cosworth

20 TBA 21 Bruno Senna

US F1 Cosworth

22 Jos Mara Lpez 23 TBA

Virgin Cosworth

24 Timo Glock 25 Lucas di Grassi

Sauber Ferrari

26 Pedro de la Rosa 27 Kamui Kobayashi

Who's your money on, and who are you excited about seeing? I'm really looking forward to seeing how Button does in the McLaren, however I fancy Lewis for the championship. And I'm stupidly excited about Kamui Kobayashi racing full time, he was just absolutely mental in the Toyota last year!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait for this season. It's shaping up to be very competitive with a number of teams in the running. Ferrari and McLaren both upped their game at the end of last season, so I think they'll be strong, especially considering Ferrari began concentrating on their 2010 car in the middle of last season.

Having Schumacher back is going to give F1 a buzz I think, and as much as I hated the guy, I'm excited to see him back. Not sure if he's up to winning the title, I think it'll come down to how the car performs for him, if it goes well, then he'll definitely be in the running.

Looking forward to seeing the British partnership of Button and Hamilton, two world champions battling it out should make for some entertaining races, but I do think Hamilton has that edge over Button. He's younger and he seems to have a bit more aggression in his driving style compared to Button. Saying that, Button pulled off some good overtakes at Brazil(?) last season to do enough to win the World title from a poor qualifying position. With a better car, who knows what he can do.

Kobayashi in those two races last season was a hoot. Brilliant defensive manouvres to keep Button at bay, so I'm glad he got a race for this year.

I've heard Lotus are looking strong for this season, but with Kovalainen at the wheel, I'm not sure they can expect much to be honest. He doesn't seem to have the same energy as the likes of Hamilton and Button. He coasted along at McLaren and never really produced anything special, so he really needs to use this season to prove he's not shit.

I'm glad Rubens is still driving. Don't think he do much compared to 2009, but he seems like a good guy to have in the line-up. One of the old school.

I keep reading about how "motivated" Schumacher is, but I can't help but think that if that Merc turns out to be a stinker, we might see a recurrence of that "neck injury" halfway through the season...

I don't blame you, you do have to wonder how much of this is for the "love" of the sport, and how much is for the huge wad of cash Mercedes is throwing at him.

This season is going to be very interesting in what happens with the new teams, how the new drivers fit in. It's also going to be interesting to see how well this no refuelling rule works, and how the teams use the tire changes to gain an advantage over their rivals.

I am worried about the final results of certain races matching the starting grid due to lack of overtaking opportunities on some circuits.

2 months to go until the red lights go off in Bahrain and we've had the first team launch, with this rather sweet looking Mercedes-Benz. What a beautiful car.!

I think it is a re-liveried 2009 car,according to press reports 2010's car is"still firmly under wraps".

I don't blame you, you do have to wonder how much of this is for the "love" of the sport, and how much is for the huge wad of cash Mercedes is throwing at him.

This season is going to be very interesting in what happens with the new teams, how the new drivers fit in. It's also going to be interesting to see how well this no refuelling rule works, and how the teams use the tire changes to gain an advantage over their rivals.

I am worried about the final results of certain races matching the starting grid due to lack of overtaking opportunities on some circuits.

Almost forgot about the no refuelling this year! It's going to be a bit strange and I'm not convinced I'm going to like it. I'll wait and see though. The thing that concerns me is that refuelling is a big part of the pitstop and to take it away means it's just a case of a change of tyres and away again. Not having the refuelling problems we've seen in recent years takes away a bit of the excitement if you ask me.

You won't get people catching on fire in the pit lane either.

But expect to see a few cars run out of fuel on the last laps as each team will want to put as little fuel in the tank for the race as they can possibly get away with. This means you will get some slower cars towards the end as they valiently try and conserve fuel while the cars who did it right steam up behind them.

You won't get people catching on fire in the pit lane either.

But expect to see a few cars run out of fuel on the last laps as each team will want to put as little fuel in the tank for the race as they can possibly get away with. This means you will get some slower cars towards the end as they valiently try and conserve fuel while the cars who did it right steam up behind them.

Aye, but they were wearing full on fire retardant suits, helmets, shoes, etc, so they wouldn't actually be burning as they've got fire extinguishers right there.

If it is just a safety thing it'd be pretty pish.

Aye, but they were wearing full on fire retardant suits, helmets, shoes, etc, so they wouldn't actually be burning as they've got fire extinguishers right there.

If it is just a safety thing it'd be pretty pish.

I guess the racing reason is that a lot of teams were relying on strategy to get places rather than racing. Now while a bit of that is to be valued, I'd much rather see people gaining places by overtaking on the track rather than having a better pit strategy.

Having said that with mandatory tyre changes I'm sure pit strategy will still play a big part of the race.

And what's with these weird rear wings? Are they a regulation this year?

I just find it weird that all the teams (or the ones I've seen so far) seem to be incorporating them. The aerodynamic thinkers don't come up with the same ideas at the same time so is there a bit of spying and skulduggery, which then becomes a shared idea?

What do you guys make of the change to the point scoring system that's coming in this year? Moving to something more akin to motorbike championships with the following:

1st - 25 points

2nd - 18

3rd - 15

4th - 12

5th - 10

6th - 8

7th - 6

8th - 4

9th - 2

10th - 1

Obviously trying to give a much greater reward for pushing to win a race instead of settling for losing out on 2 extra points for second place.

Hmph - in my opinion all it achieves is bigger, more studly looking numbers at the end of the season and more teams picking up points just for turning up. The win incentive angle is nothing new - the old 10 6 4 3 2 1 system did that quite effectively and meant less points achieved through attrition.