aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Music Fanzine Needs You!

Lemonade

Hi folks. Just read your Withered Hand / Debutant review...thanks for that.

I'd reply on there but I'm useless with blog stuff so I'll do it here if that's ok.

Was 5 really "scandalous" for two pretty amazing acts in a perfect environment, and when all profits were going to a good cause?

Plus, you don't really have an excuse for not knowing it was 5 considering it was plastered all over this website...

cheers

x

Well scandalous might have been an exagerration, but I would say it's certainly expensive for two acts. You see 4 bands at the Moorings for 3 on a Saturday night, and I saw 5 bands in the Tunnels last night for 4, and they are at actual music venues, not just a few chairs in an arts studio and a table selling bottles of beer. I understand the price was high to raise money for the UTG campaign, but I personally don't support this cause so I begrudge paying extra at the door to help fund it.

As I've said though, I enjoyed the gig very much, I just thought it was a little overpriced for what it was.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you once again make reference to "the sad demise of Karloff"? I spoke to Rob not a week ago, and while he said he wasn't sure what was happening, he said the band haven't split.

o_O

I may have got mixed up then. I spoke to Rob about this a couple of weeks ago and I could swear he said Karloff have "had their time" but it was in the past and while they haven't split up officially, they probably won't ever gig again. I had been drinking tequila at the time, which makes me go a little peculiar, so there is a chance I may have got that wrong. :gringo:

Incidentally, when did I do it the first time?

Well scandalous might have been an exagerration, but I would say it's certainly expensive for two acts. You see 4 bands at the Moorings for 3 on a Saturday night, and I saw 5 bands in the Tunnels last night for 4, and they are at actual music venues, not just a few chairs in an arts studio and a table selling bottles of beer. I understand the price was high to raise money for the UTG campaign, but I personally don't support this cause so I begrudge paying extra at the door to help fund it.

As I've said though, I enjoyed the gig very much, I just thought it was a little overpriced for what it was.

Nae probs.

The price wasn't high to raise money for UTG. It would've been 5 before we decided to raise money out of it. And I don't think 5 is high anyway for a couple of out-of-town quality acts. It's probably the low end price for any gig we put on.

You can't really compare with the cost of other gigs at other venues if you don't know how much those bands are being paid, what the promoter / venue expenses are, etc...

But cheers for the feedback anyway - good to have an honest opinion.

I have your site bookmarked, I've enjoyed the reviews so far, just wish it was updated more often.I did find the Peacock one a tad strange - you didn't come across as if you enjoyed much about it overall going by the main review's tone but ended by being very positive - I got the impression you perhaps didn't want to cause offence. I'd rather see conviction to being honest. Maybe I misinterpreted the review however.

I may have got mixed up then. I spoke to Rob about this a couple of weeks ago and I could swear he said Karloff have "had their time" but it was in the past and while they haven't split up officially, they probably won't ever gig again. I had been drinking tequila at the time, which makes me go a little peculiar, so there is a chance I may have got that wrong. :gringo:

Incidentally, when did I do it the first time?

I don't remember which thread it was, but I'm pretty sure it was you...

I have your site bookmarked, I've enjoyed the reviews so far, just wish it was updated more often.I did find the Peacock one a tad strange - you didn't come across as if you enjoyed much about it overall going by the main review's tone but ended by being very positive - I got the impression you perhaps didn't want to cause offence. I'd rather see conviction to being honest. Maybe I misinterpreted the review however.

I agree with that. I think a few of the reviews could do with being trimmed a bit. In my mind they tend to get too bogged down in details (song-by-song critiques in album reviews etc.), hindering the overall tone and wit.

There's wit? Why wasn't I informed?

Yeah you're right though, I do to tend to waffle on a bit. I try to keep everything to one sheet of A4 to keep it snapy, but I usually fail quite badly.

As for giving bad reviews Godzilla Blues, I said when I started this that I wasn't going to pull any punches and be afraid to give someone a bad review. However I also said I'm not just going to say "I thought they were shite", I'm going to try and look for positives and try to offer my advice on what their strengths are and how they can improve their weaker points. While it's really not my place to be giving music advice to anyone, I think it's important to give encouragment rather than just give someone a scathing review, which may be funny to read, but isn't really going to benefit anyone.

Besides, it's been ages since I last saw a REALLY shit band....

As for the Peacock gig, I did really enjoy it, I think the only negative thing I said was the Phil's songs don't quite work as well acoustically as they do in the studio. The tone of the piece might be a bit lopsided, but I did genuinely enjoy it.

And to be honest I wish it was updated more often as well. I don't get the chance to go to as many gigs as I did when I was young and stupid (and lived about 100 yards from Dr. Drakes). These days I have a full time job and early mornings to contend with. My aim at the moment is to attend a minimum of one gig a week, which isn't really that much I admit. This is why I'm trying to get other people involved in helping out with the gig reviewing.... a zine by the community for the community, if you will.

I am hoping to review pretty much every CD that gets released though. Just as long as I know about them....

I've had some great feedback about the Zine so far ,and people seem to be 100% supportive, and a lot of bands want us to do something about them, so long may it continue hopefully.

Cheers for all the feedback folks.

As for giving bad reviews Godzilla Blues, I said when I started this that I wasn't going to pull any punches and be afraid to give someone a bad review. However I also said I'm not just going to say "I thought they were shite", I'm going to try and look for positives and try to offer my advice on what their strengths are and how they can improve their weaker points. While it's really not my place to be giving music advice to anyone, I think it's important to give encouragment rather than just give someone a scathing review, which may be funny to read, but isn't really going to benefit anyone.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not wishing to see people pulled to bits for the sake of other's enjoyment, I prefer honest and open criticism, I just felt that you had more than adequately summed up your likes/dislikes through the main body of the review and your sum up paragraph seemed to put in a 'I really liked it' sign-off that over-egged the positive, I just think it could have been left off...but that's just me.

I quite like the lengthier reviews, it gives more information than some of the short reviews that you see in the likes of The Fly - some of the gig reviews in there give absolutely squat info!

Guest Gladstone

I'm on the same boat as Lucky in terms of not being able to attend anywhere near as many gigs as I'd like to (not living in Aberdeen is a major hurdle these days!), and I've been pretty busy the past few weeks with other stuff in my life. I've got a few CD reviews up my sleeve, but want to give them the time they deserve before posting them.

I too won't be scared to give a bad review - if I think it's bad, I will say so.

I'm good mates with Steven Milne, and love The Little Kicks - I really wanted to give the Little Kicks 12 out of 5, but I think it deserved 3, so that's what it got.

Cheers for the feedback on the site so far though - for this to work it needs people to read it first of all, but also comments/feedback is really important. And others getting involved reviewing gigs they've been to is good.

Incidentally - if anyone wants to review Live @ the Beach on Saturday, please do. I'll be playing, so won't be able to review The Underkills. Depending on how it goes, I may get giddy and drink a few too many beers to be able to properly review the bands after us other than saying "Aye boys, you were fucking magic..."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Gladstone

Couple of new reviews up:

Right Hand Left single...

Right Hand Left single launch...

The Lorelei @ Captain Tom's...

Other upcoming reviews:

Alan McGee / The Tijuana Sun / Kashmir Red / The Underkills @ Cafe Drummonds...

Alan McGee and one million and three bands @ Mambo's Peterhead...

Wirelessly posted (LG-GC900/V10a Obigo/WAP2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I am shocked and appalled at your lack of forum decorum Martin. I declare a BLOG WAR! Death to the infidels!

Isn't the accepted declaration in the form "1... 2... 3... 4... I... Declare... A... Blog... War" then you both try and trap each other's thumbs?