aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Music Fanzine Needs You!

Lemonade

Howdy y'all,

You may have noticed from our signatures that Carrots Gladstone and I have been trying to get a new online local music fanzine off the ground for a couple of months. Unfortunately we've hit a bit of a brick wall already because we don't know when bands are releasing new material - we can go and have a rake through the local bands section in One-Up, but who knows what's new in there and what isn't? So if you play in a band or are a solo performer / DJ etc and you're releasing some new stuff, and you'd like some free promotion, then drop us an email and let us know what it is and where we can get it from. Ideally this isn't going to cover bands just recording a new demo to stick up on their Myspace, we're looking for proper single / EP / album releases.

You can PM either of us or email aberzine@googlemail.com.

Also if you're playing a gig anywhere, drop us a line and let us know where and when and we'll try to attend.

Secondly, if you go and see a gig in Aberdeen, write us a quick review. We don't get to as many gigs as we'd like to these days, so we'd be delighted to have contributions. It doesn't have to be a 1000 word essay, just a quick review of who you saw, what was good, what wasn't so good etc. I think having a good fanzine is to the benefit of the whole city's music scene and I'd like to have a really good, up-to-date fanzine with lots of people contributing. The only rule is that the gig has to have been in Aberdeen - but it can be watching your mate's band at the Tunnels, or watching Lady Gaga at the AECC. As long as it's in city limits, it's fair game.

Thanks for reading

LR

Visit AberZine for all your month-old music news, reviews and opinions.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gladstone
o_O

No Pasaran sound like Snow Patrol!?

I heard it coming through. It was the first band I thought of when the EP started.

No offence intended, I just tell it like I hear it.

:up:

In all fairness, ignoring that review for a moment, it's great to see a fanzine on the go regardless of what I think of the content.

When I first started going to gigs in Aberdeen it was the fanzines that kept me interested and let me know what was going on (the internet was but a young pup then though the Blind Youth messageboard had some action) and then once I started playing in bands it was the fanzines that kicked us in the head and made us want to improve.

It's something that's been seriously lacking around here, perhaps because the internet has made them irrelevent. But a feedback forum here is a poor substitute for properly ill informed, structured reviews all together in one place.

In all fairness, ignoring that review for a moment, it's great to see a fanzine on the go regardless of what I think of the content.

When I first started going to gigs in Aberdeen it was the fanzines that kept me interested and let me know what was going on (the internet was but a young pup then though the Blind Youth messageboard had some action) and then once I started playing in bands it was the fanzines that kicked us in the head and made us want to improve.

It's something that's been seriously lacking around here, perhaps because the internet has made them irrelevent. But a feedback forum here is a poor substitute for properly ill informed, structured reviews all together in one place.

That was prety much my reason for starting it, I used to love reading the fanzines. However all the zines have pretty much died, so I thought why not try and start a new one and make it all online? That way, people can access it instantly and for free. If I can up the output from it, I may try and get a few printed and into One-Up, with some special "print-only" content, however it's doubtful at the moment.

I would definitely like it to be a resource that people make use of though. I need to get off my arse and start going to gigs again like, and rest assured once I do that there will be more ill-informed reviews than you can shake a stick at :up:

Guest Gladstone
Good work, you pair. This sort of thing takes a lot of effort, so keep it up, yo. Bookmarked.

Not enough effort has gone into it from us yet - we promise to do better. :up:

Not enough effort has gone into it from us yet - we promise to do better. :up:
Good work, you pair. This sort of thing takes a lot of effort, so keep it up, yo. Bookmarked.

Presume you'll be reviewing that thing at the Beach next weekend, since you're playing it? I'm planning trying to get along to Withered Hand + Debutant on Thursday night.... :popcorn:

Howdy y'all,

You may have noticed from our signatures that Carrots Gladstone and I have been trying to get a new online local music fanzine off the ground for a couple of months. Unfortunately we've hit a bit of a brick wall already because we don't know when bands are releasing new material - we can go and have a rake through the local bands section in One-Up, but who knows what's new in there and what isn't? So if you play in a band or are a solo performer / DJ etc and you're releasing some new stuff, and you'd like some free promotion, then drop us an email and let us know what it is and where we can get it from. Ideally this isn't going to cover bands just recording a new demo to stick up on their Myspace, we're looking for proper single / EP / album releases.

Also if you're playing a gig anywhere, drop us a line and let us know where and when and we'll try to attend.

Secondly, if you go and see a gig in Aberdeen, write us a quick review. We don't get to as many gigs as we'd like to these days, so we'd be delighted to have contributions. It doesn't have to be a 1000 word essay, just a quick review of who you saw, what was good, what wasn't so good etc. I think having a good fanzine is to the benefit of the whole city's music scene and I'd like to have a really good, up-to-date fanzine with lots of people contributing. The only rule is that the gig has to have been in Aberdeen - but it can be watching your mate's band at the Tunnels, or watching Lady Gaga at the AECC. As long as it's in city limits, it's fair game.

Thanks for reading

LR

Hey, I just had wee look at the site. Good work so far; the blog looks neat and the reviews are easy to read. I also like that you aren't afraid to give a band a bad review.

My only suggestions would be to perhaps seperate EP reviews, gig reviews and the "Thoughts etc." sections, but if this isn't possible then it's nothing to worry about as the page is perfectly scrollable and digestible already due to the TL DR summaries at the bottom of each post. Oh, and maybe you could ask permission to link or host a sample song from the band that you are reviewing?

But yeah, in general, well done on maintaining the site - I understand the surprising amound of effort it takes to go out of your way to see unappealing bands and bother to write about them on a regular basis. I suppose a hearing a good band every now and again can help with motivation. I'll certainly be sure to inform you guys the next time Toy record an EP/play a gig.

Out of interest: How many page views have you been getting and what sort of things are you doing to promote the site?

Hey, I just had wee look at the site. Good work so far; the blog looks neat and the reviews are easy to read. I also like that you aren't afraid to give a band a bad review.

Thanks. I haven't been TOO unkind to anyone. Yet.... ;) I really want to encourage bands, not just use it as a platform to slag people off, however, if I honestly don't like something then I will say so in as constructive a way as possible. I'm sure it'll rile a few people, but it's just my opinion. I'm sure Calum feels the same.

My only suggestions would be to perhaps seperate EP reviews, gig reviews and the "Thoughts etc." sections, but if this isn't possible then it's nothing to worry about as the page is perfectly scrollable and digestible already due to the TL DR summaries at the bottom of each post. Oh, and maybe you could ask permission to link or host a sample song from the band that you are reviewing?

I'd like to do that too, but Blogger is quite restrictive, and you can't really seperate each type of entry, it all just goes in chronologically. That's why I've started each title with "Gig Review", "EP Review" "Thoughts etc." to try and make it easier to identify with everything falling under four hdifferent headings, and I've put in the tags with each band / venue so you can simply click on Cast Of The Capital, Captain FACE etc and bring up all their reviews. It's the best system I could come up with at the time but I'm sure there are ways around it.

But yeah, in general, well done on maintaining the site - I understand the surprising amound of effort it takes to go out of your way to see unappealing bands and bother to write about them on a regular basis. I suppose a hearing a good band every now and again can help with motivation. I'll certainly be sure to inform you guys the next time Toy record an EP/play a gig.

Out of interest: How many page views have you been getting and what sort of things are you doing to promote the site?

Thanks. I look forward to it.

At the moment we are only pulling in about 10-20 hits a day, however we have done zero promotion on it as yet, simply because I didn't want to promote a completely empty site, I wanted to wait until there was actually some content on it worth reading. This thread is the first step in putting it out there but I've got a few ideas for promoting it, and I'm hoping that once word spreads a bit we'll be able to up the hits. I used to get about 60 a day for my old blog Elwood's Odyssey, and that was just childish knob jokes.

I'd like to do that too, but Blogger is quite restrictive, and you can't really seperate each type of entry, it all just goes in chronologically. That's why I've started each title with "Gig Review", "EP Review" "Thoughts etc." to try and make it easier to identify with everything falling under four hdifferent headings, and I've put in the tags with each band / venue so you can simply click on Cast Of The Capital, Captain FACE etc and bring up all their reviews. It's the best system I could come up with at the time but I'm sure there are ways around it.

Yeah I just noticed the labels on the side and it works just fine. Like I said, it wasn't a big deal, it's just that I am OCD with shit like that.

One other thing I forgot to mention that I liked is the idea of having both of you review the same gig or EP like you did with the Cast of the Capital one. You know, the plurality of taste/interpretation and all that.

Yeah I just noticed the labels on the side and it works just fine. Like I said, it wasn't a big deal, it's just that I am OCD with shit like that.

One other thing I forgot to mention that I liked is the idea of having both of you review the same gig or EP like you did with the Cast of the Capital one. You know, the plurality of taste/interpretation and all that.

Yeah that's the plan. One man's meat is another man's poison, and we both have very different taste in music, so it seemed fair that we both give our thoughts on stuff.

Yeah that's the plan. One man's meat is another man's poison, and we both have very different taste in music, so it seemed fair that we both give our thoughts on stuff.

Why do you once again make reference to "the sad demise of Karloff"? I spoke to Rob not a week ago, and while he said he wasn't sure what was happening, he said the band haven't split.

o_O

Howdy y'all,

Thanks for reading

LR

Hi folks. Just read your Withered Hand / Debutant review...thanks for that.

I'd reply on there but I'm useless with blog stuff so I'll do it here if that's ok.

The door price of 5 was scandalous, and had I known it was going to cost me a fiver to get in I may not have gone along, but I am glad I did, it was a really good gig and I enjoyed both acts.

Was 5 really "scandalous" for two pretty amazing acts in a perfect environment, and when all profits were going to a good cause?

Plus, you don't really have an excuse for not knowing it was 5 considering it was plastered all over this website...

cheers

x