aberdeen-music

XBox360: one red ring

Le Stu

I've been experiencing an intermittent error since last night. The symptoms are the video image is breaking up but the game is still playing and also one red ring on booting (bottom right quadrant) and/or an error message telling me to contact xbox support. I'm leaving it off right now but I did get it to boot fine since.

So, am I buggered here or is there a simple fix? The internet is being a little vague on what the problem is.

OK chaps, fret not because Le Stu has an E74 error, meaning his ANA/HANA scaler chip has been worn out by all the low rez pr0n he downloads. Fortunately for this hapless individual, Microsoft have extended the warranty for this hardware failure so he will be shipping it off it them shortly and should get it fixed for nowt :up:

• Upvote 1

Just a small note, but I'd advise keeping your HDD and just sending the unit away - Microsoft tends to usually just replace the entire XBox with one that has already been repaired, and then they will repair yours and send that to someone else. Plus you probably don't want to lose your saved games.

Yep, that's the plan :up: I suppose this means that I won't be getting a shiny new Jasper mobo as they'd have to send me a new PSU as well. These Falcon elite boards were supposed to be better but mine died after 18 months. Fucking crap, isn't it?

If I didn't have the warranty, I'd totally do a PC case mod, get some proper airflow and thermal paste on the buggering chips!

• 4 weeks later...
a cheap USB fan helps. just point it roon' the back o the box if its in an enclosed tv stand.

i found it also help cut out some of the annoying buzz you get from some loose points on the case if you stand it up on its end.

Yeah, I have it on its end too. I was paranoid about overheating from the day I got it so it's got plenty of space to itself. I don't know if the USB fan will really help but that's a clever idea :up:

The replacement unit I got back is way noisier than the original. Hopefully that means it has faster fans but it's really quite annoying. And don't even get me started on the ATI card in my PC, and it's no better if you turn them down in Catalyst :swearing: