aberdeen-music

Some weird scam thing....

Lemonade

I think this small event thing is fairly new, I've never heard of it before.

Certainly worth a look for any bands that play their own material live (it's the songwriter that gets the cash, not the performers) on a regular basis(10 gigs minimum per year). You might even get a wee bit for having a song broadcast on SHMU FM, certainly for being played on northsound.

Not a lot of dough, but very little work required (inform them you've played and give them the setlist is about it) and the 10 membership is for life I think.

To register for the fiver kickback. Would a band not need to be a registered company or something? Taxman informed etc... it is earnings after all and some bands play Aberdeen every 3-4days so there entitlement could mount up! haha

You just need to be the songwriter. Whether you pay tax on it or not doesn't matter a jot to the PRS. A photocopy of your passport (or birth certificate, can't remember exactly) and the bank details for getting the cash is all you need to give them iirc (oh, and a tenner).

Technically you should inform the IR, but since you'll almost certainly be running the band at a loss ...(keep all strings, practices, equipment, petrol, van hire etc receipts/invoices and they'll soon see you aren't running at a profit if they come a knockin')

Wirelessly posted (LG-GC900/V10a Obigo/WAP2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Bucket Of Blood is a very fine song, bitch. You'd know that if you'd ever come to see us... ;) the song is loosely inspired by Carrie and the title comes from the scene when she gets covered in pig's blood at the prom, and then kills the fuck out of everybody.

From the horses mouth...

Hi guys,

Simon from Sentric Music here, thought I'd get involved here to answer any questions and ensure you all that we're far from a scam.

We've got over 1,700 artists signed up to our royalty collection service now and we're growing by the day. We've paid our hundreds of thousands of pounds and aim to help our artists maximise their royalties so they get as much as possible.

So a couple things to hopefully answer the questions knocking about...

- The figures you've been quoting are correct, you can expect about a fiveer a gig yeah but in this case, Phil contacted you as you've had royalties put aside in the 'Maritz 02' income stream from live performances. This averages out at around 75+ per song. I must stress this ISN'T for every gig you play, just for the gigs that are sampled by PRS auditors.

- we have hundreds of artists who are also directly members with the PRS and in the vast majority of cases we maximise their performance royalties so they earn more even after our 20% cut then what they would do regardless.

Basically, if you signed up to Sentric and gave us the details for the tracks Phil mentioned (which would take you around 15 minutes tops) we could get that 400 or so sorted for you extremely easily! As we've been publisher members of the PRS since 2006 we can sort these out for you whereas if you signed up directly you could only backdate until the first of this year.

I hope this helps answer everything and if you want to ask me anything then put it below, email me on simon.pursehouse@sentricmusic.com or call the office on 0207 099 5991.

We're genuinely rather lovely guys :)

Hope all is well up in Aberdeen x