aberdeen-music

Some weird scam thing....

Lemonade

....that I don't quite understand ?(

I got this email today, and it's obviously some kind of scam (I'm not gullible enough to believe that we're due 400 of royalties for playing our own songs in the Moorings!). The odd thing is that we did play a gig on 18th April 2009, we did play the songs listed below, and someone from performing rights did ask us for details of our set. But I don't quite understand the purpose of this email, is it just something as simple as that you have to pay to register with their site and it's a colossal waste of time and cash? Or what are they trying to gain?

Anyone else had this email?

Sent: 22 January 2010 15:28:29

To: cobrakairock@googlemail.com

Hi Cobra Kai,

Its Phil from Sentric Music here, Ive sent you a couple of messages through Myspace but Im not sure that theyve reached you so through an email might be better. Ive recently noticed on the PRSs unclaimed royalties database that there seems to be some royalties listed under your name. I thought that youd be interested to know this as I believe theres around 400 to collect.

Here at Sentric Music we help artists to collect royalties via the PRS/MCPS and we would love to help you with this. If you were to sign up with us and give us the details of your songs, we would register them with the PRS/MCPS and make all of the relevant claims on your behalf to ensure that all available royalties were collected. For doing all of the admin involved we would look to take a 20% cut of anything receive but this is it, everything else would go to you. We would also not look to take any of the rights to your music away from you and if you ever wanted to leave Sentric, you could do with 28 days notice.

The full list of songs that have royalties owing are:

Bucket Of Blood

Child

Head Echoes

King Of The World

Sins Of The Flesh

This list was gathered at a gig you must have played on the 18th April 2009. Do you remember anyone asking for details of your setlist after the show? The PRS sample gigs across the country every night of the year and then assign royalties to the writers whose work has been performed. In such cases, the amount youre assigned is much higher that an artist would usually be owed in royalties for a gig so its well worth collecting everything available.

To sign up with Sentric, all you need to do is go to our website (Sentric Music) and register on there.

If you would like any more information then please just let me know and Ill be happy to help.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Phil

Phil Rose

Head of Artist Liaison

37 Seymour Terrace

Liverpool

Merseyside

L3 5PE

Office: +44 (0) 207 099 5991

Mobile: +44 (0) 798 562 1767

Web: Sentric Music

Myspace: Sentric Music on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Why would we be due any money though? It's not like we're being played on Radio 1 or anything, we've only done a few local gigs and been played on Fraserburgh radio!

Doesn't matter where you play, you are due royalties because people have heard you. I only found out about this a couple of weeks ago and I am now looking in to getting Which Way Now registered with the PRS. They work out how much you are due by the amount of people that are at a gig and how long you play for. I have no idea how they work it out but I have been told that it is well worth your while.

Doesn't matter where you play, you are due royalties because people have heard you. I only found out about this a couple of weeks ago and I am now looking in to getting Which Way Now registered with the PRS. They work out how much you are due by the amount of people that are at a gig and how long you play for. I have no idea how they work it out but I have been told that it is well worth your while.

This is all news to me. I thought it was just a big scam.

According to the PRS, the money due from one of these randomly selected small events (pubs, clubs etc) is about a fiver. Since it costs a minimum of a tenner to register I don't see why it would be worth it.

400 is someone having a laugh. Maybe they want you to sign over all your rights to them, probably with a cunningly worded contract. Personally I'd hit the delete/spam button on my email.

According to the PRS, the money due from one of these randomly selected small events (pubs, clubs etc) is about a fiver. Since it costs a minimum of a tenner to register I don't see why it would be worth it.

400 is someone having a laugh. Maybe they want you to sign over all your rights to them, probably with a cunningly worded contract. Personally I'd hit the delete/spam button on my email.

Presumably the inference is that the 400 has accumulated, rather than being from one gig.

Creators

Right, but where is the money coming from?

Exactly! that size of gig is around 3% of the door iirc. Split that between what, 4 bands leaves 0.75% per band, minus PRS admin fee. Less than 0.75% of a few hundred quid is hardly going to equate to 1600 in fees paid out.

If it does, does anyone fancy forming a band?

Wirelessly posted (LG-GC900/V10a Obigo/WAP2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Well if it's a fiver per gig and we've played two gigs where we've been asked for details of our set by the PRS, then we're due a tenner. Yes! Daddy needs a new set of guitar strings.

Except it might cost you that 10 to register, and that particular gig is too far in the past to qualify. In fact if you apply for membership now it's only retroactive until 1st jan.

On the other hand it's all insanely complicated and an email to the PRS might be a good idea.

For the small gig scheme it's only a tenner to register and as long as you play 10 gigs a year you qualify. Have a nosey at the website, although be warned, it's about as complicated as their rules.(btw, at a fiver a gig that's free money on offer there)

I often wonder if it annoys local music venues that after they pay for their entertainments licenses and do all the paperwork they still know that many of the bands they put on won't benefit simply because they don't claim (through ignorance or through fear of the overly complicated system).

'course I don't even have any idea how prevalent the scourge of pay-to-play is in Aberdeen, so maybe venues don't care at all? :S