aberdeen-music

Mock The Week

How fucking shite is it without Frankie? There's no point in it now. I know he repeated himself sometimes and would go for the shock value a lot but he basically made the programme entertaining.

Seems to be the general consensus as well, according to the MTW facebook page etc.

Terrible. Russell Howard, Andy Parsons and Patrick Kielty are an unholy triumverate of unfunny, massively overrated cunts.

I've just watched ten minutes of it, and realised that the topics brought up have already been done on here... the David Cameron nhs poster, yet some members on here have come up with FAR better jokes, and the frozen britain photo.

That twat Patrick should not be on the show, and Russel Howard just seems to think "aw I can slip into Frankie's shoes now, I'll be gross" and it just aint happening.

Guest Gladstone

I totally missed the boat with Mock the Week for ages, but I now watch it on Dave all the time - bloody brilliant. Frankie Boyle is by far the best part of the show, but I think the combination of him, Russell Howard, Dara O'Briain, Andy Parsons and Hugh Dennis worked really well because they are all quite different, and compliment each other well bla bla bla. Patrick Kielty can be funny in a cheeky chappy kind of way sometimes, but I can't see him working out very well in amongst all those guys - he's more of a housewife's choice for a nod and a wink kind of style on some celebrity reality TV show...

I love mock the week but the stand up bits get a bit annoying once you work out that the topics are picked beforehand to perfectly coinside with jokes from the weekly guests own routines. i.e. last night's Kielty riff on countries with facebook accounts, he did the same routine on Michael McIntyre's comedy roadshow.

Like every panel show it can be patchy depending on the guests for each week, but I think it's fine without Frankie Boyle's recycled Kerry Katona gags each week. He was just treading water on it.

Every comedian gets all the topics the afternoon before they film the show. Frankie used to have a podcast where he tested his material for the upcoming show.

Kinda glad Frankie's gone as he dominated every single round, barged in on the 'Scenes we'd like to see' all the feckin' time and pretty much tried to make it "The Frankie Boyle Show". I wish they'd pick comedians that aren't in the tried and tested roster though, most of the ones kicking about the telly are dire.

. I wish they'd pick comedians that aren't in the tried and tested roster though, most of the ones kicking about the telly are dire.

Yup.These flimsy pedestals we've constructed for jesters to 'be funny' upon, have well past their sell-by-date. Panel shows seem to promote poor comedians, yet also make good comedians seem bad, revelling in the kind of humour which takes the slimmest effort to process.

David Mitchell may indeed be the worst perpetrator, popping up all too frequently on TV and radio, churning out unimaginative, safe 'satire' and pre-written gags.

Frankie Boyle was shit last series.....just tried to be offensive for the sake of it. If that was a taste of the future, I think the show's probably better without him in the long run.

I fully agree that Patrick Kielty wasn't great, but then most comics are hopeless on Mock the Week in their first outing on the show. He probably won't be on again for ages anyway.

All that said, I had a few good belly laughs last week, which is more than can be said for 99% of the other "comedy" dross on telly these days. Think it's a bit OTT to suggest that the show is pointless without Frankie Boyle.....it was in danger of becoming pointless WITH Frankie Boyle given the extent he monopolised each round, and the recent deterioration of his material.

I'll be watching it this week.

Who on Earth would watch Mock the Week without Frankie Boyle? I really can't understand you people.

God, people who don't share my taste are such idiots...

Maybe they'll call you up, with this scathing sense of irony you posess.