aberdeen-music

Aberdeen's 'Granite City' quarry goes on sale

Free Korps

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christ knows what there going to do with it?

It is impressive though, I use to work in Seafield House and on a few occassions I managed to get out onto the roof I always made a point of having a wee look into the quarry.

Whoever buys it is going to have a tough time cleaning it up. Appartently the equipment used to excavate it was just left in there and is now underwater.

There was word of plans to use it for Diver training but it was deemed too dangerous.

I used to go there as a kid in the early 70's,scared the shit out of me.There was about 50ft of water in it then,and a rickety old staircase you could climb down if you dared.There was no barrier round it and was a suicide spot.There was a little equipment left down there,Aberdeen student charities climbed across the blondin one year and dropped a banner.Here is a pic when it was still working.quarry102fr.jpg

Apparently it's going for 30 grand.

I've had a peek a few times, there's a wall / hedge thing beside Seafield house that you can scramble up and get a good view of the quarry, and there's a perimiter fence at the top with a big hole in it, if you're brave enough.

Fuck knows what anyone could do with it, it's really just a big hole, isn't it. There's 30ft of smooth sides before the water starts, so if you jump in there you're pretty much tatties.

Here's a picture from Wiki.

Rubislaw_Quarry.jpg

And another

http://www.rubislawconsulting.com/54QUARRY0kb174.jpg

Won't nature deal with that via evaporation and there's bound to be some drainage through the rocks.

but fish out of water was saying it seems more watery since he last saw it so maybe it is filling up? I've never had a look at it myself because common sense says disused quarry = stay away.

Excellent, just add a houseboat and, voila, cut-price exclusive West End property.*

*No, I don't know how you would go porting the boat.

I would suggest an air drop from a cargo plane or you could attach it to the top of a bus, drive through the office buildings from Anderson drive entrance and at the right point slam on the brakes, boat goes flying over the fence and into the Quarry.

A crude pulley system could be employed using winches to get in and out of the houseboat.

when i was at architecture school, we did a project there: granted access to the site and spent a few days clambering around the edges taking photos and pretending to push people in. it's cool as fuck. it's certainly got more water in it these days.

infact, i had a massive picture of it on the wall of my flat until two days ago.

when i was at architecture school, we did a project there: granted access to the site and spent a few days clambering around the edges taking photos and pretending to push people in. it's cool as fuck. it's certainly got more water in it these days.

infact, i had a massive picture of it on the wall of my flat until two days ago.

Years ago I did some work preparing budget costs for a scheme which I can't remember the details of but even then the cost of draining/keeping dry was prohibitive.