aberdeen-music

Decent Mortgage Advisers In Aberdeen?

berti

Right folks, apologies for this but im actually having to start a serious thread here o_O

Looking to buy a house with the missus in the summer (end of may time) and am looking for places that any of you guys have had dealings with that may offer good independent advice, ie. nae from banks who will only be after your soul....

basically i want to know if we can afford to live anywhere other than northfield and torry...not that there is anything wrong with those areas you must understand....:rockon:

so....suggestions anyone?!

All financial advisers are out to make commission somewhere. We went to Midas in Golden Square initially and they pointed us in the right direction but I wouldn't recommend them because they told us a few porkies about being the only advisers with access to certain mortage schemes.

Used Raeburn Christie Clark and Wallace for solicitors and they were tip top.

Depending on your circumstances you might want to look at the LIFT shared equity scheme. If you're both first time buyers and within a certain salary range you might qualify. If you're interested you may as well apply and see if you get accepted.

Grampian Housing Association - Home ownership

I would say talk to a couple of different advisors and go for one you're comfortable with. We bought a house last year and had meetings through a few different ones, none of which gave a very good service. In the end we muddled through with a shambolic, disorganised guy that shares an office with our solicitor. When it's time to remortgage I'm going to do it myself.

Since then though I've had a meeting with the guys at Kudos for some work related finance stuff and they were much more professional. Would definitely go to them for personal finance advice in the future.

ok, good stuff so far guys cheers!

how much does it cost to go in and get advice about a mortgage, is it free or do they charge per hour?

Most are free for the initial talk through, they'll either give you a bill at the end of the process for a set fee agreed at the start or they'll take commission from the mortgage provider.

Another shout for Aberdein Considine / Indy Financial Centre - all free mortgage service, a good discount of the legal fees if they do your purchase as well and a free bottle of wine to boot. Its worth speaking to your own bank as well - banks are pretty cagey at the moment and keeping their best deals for existing customers. Better the devil you know and that....