aberdeen-music

The Boy Who Trapped The Sun - 10/02/10 @ Kilau, Little Belmont Street

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

This gig was amazing. I really felt like I was part of something special. The atmosphere was just how I'd always hoped Kilau would achieve but until now never quite did.

Amber was her usual quiet self but because she had the entire audience eating out of the palm of her sweet little hand it was a great set. Her new stuff has matured, lyrically and in structure. I'm looking forward to seeing what she does next.

"The Boy Who Trapped The Sun" surprised me. I'm not a huge fan of his soon to be released single, "Home" (I think it's called) but seeing him close with it tonight certainly made me realise how over producing a raw talent like Colin's on a record does him no justice when experiencing it live in front of you. His lyrics at times are twee but at other times so heart wrenchingly organic, honest and well crafted that you excuse any other traits you saw as flaws. He also knows when to impress with his technical abilities and when to hone them in. This not only shows his musical ability but that he knows how to let a song breathe and not over complicate things. When he does show glimmers of guitargod its not there to show off but is as one with the melody. He was accompanied by Stacy, a cello player from the same village he is from on Lewis. She was there to bulk out his sound with simple un-intrusive sweeps of the bow and great vocal harmonies.

You can catch them supporting Fionn Regan on sat if you're in Glasgow.

If you weren't there tonight... you really missed out.