aberdeen-music

Haiti Benefit

Mojo Workin

Scottish Blues Alliance are working towards putting on an all-day benefit gig in the near future to raise money for the people of Haiti.

Date and venue to be arranged, but several artists and bands are a;rady interested in donating their time and travel towards a great cause.

There's a lot of organising to do and donations of raffle prizes etc to collect. If this goes anything like the Katrina Benefit we did, it will not only be a great day out for blues lovers but a way to raise a lot of cash for these poor folks.

I'll keep ya all posted.

Hey, we have lots of room for bands if any of you are up for this, I know there's a bunch of Fat Possum style bands kicking around (and I won't name names....) but I for one would love you have those bands involved as well- and not just all us old farts....

PM me or Davey if you even think you might be interested!

Story so far... The Blue Lamp, Sat the 10th of April, midday to midnight (ish)

Bands and artists up for it so far are:- Wolftrain (Dundee/Perth)

Juke Joint Rollers

Son Henry (Alaska, he winna make it hame for lunch or dinner)

Dick Wardell ( USA. He'll hae to bide the night as well!)

Tim Aves (Essex)

Mr Spider (Dundee)

Jerry Jablonski

Mel Ross ( Arbroath)

Hollowbody (Perth)

Fat Belly Blues Band (Glasgow)

Georgia Crawl (Forfar)

Papamojo

Probably more to be confirmed. Looks like it could be a fantastic day, I'll definitely be there! Now to start threatening peeople to donate raffle prizes, heh heh.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update, there are now two venues involved for the benefit. The Blue Lamp hosting the bands and Cellar 35 hosting the solo acts. The same ticket will get you access to both venues (unless you want to pay for two?) I'll post the running order later on. The Blue Lamp is kicking off at 12.30 on the Saturday and going on until well after midnight by the looks of things. The finale of the evening is a huge jam which will probably run for a couple of hours, if past experience is anything to go by!

I'm now putting the bite on anyone I can think of for raffle donations, hint hint, and we're hoping hor some brilliant prizes. I happen to know there are a few really good items that are to be auctioned on the day as well.

WTF? I've sat here for over an hour trying to enter the running order for the bands and each time I hit 'post quick reply' it feckin tells me I'm not logged in!!!! I give up.

Does this feckin forum log you out automatically after a couple of minutes or what? I've just gone through the whole rigmarole again with the same result!! PM me if you want a running order, I can't be bothered with this again.

12.00 12.30 Doors open

12.30 13.15 Juke Joint Rollers

13.30 14.15 Claude's Funky Taxi

14.30 15.30 Red Dawg

15.45 16.45 Hollowbody

17.00 17.45 Mr. Spider -------- Food

18.00 18.45 Wolftrain -------- Food

18.45 19.15 Raffle and Auction

19.15 20.00 Son Henry

20.15 21.00 The Fatbelly Blues Band

21.15 22.00 PapaMojo

22.15 23.00 Tupelo Town Assembly

23.15 24.00 Gerry Jablonski

24.00 Jam

Schedule for The Acoustic Stage at Cellar 35

The Schedule for the Acoustic Stage will have to remain loose

as some acts have still to confirm.

*bump*

Going to be a great day of music! We've enlisted a great cross section of bands from across Scotland to participate AND have some really great acoustic players at Cellar 35 as well- and that admission tax gets you into both venues.

The timing is important too- Haiti relief has fallen out of the public eye in the last couple of weeks, but there are still people in need of clean water and shelter, food and medical care-

More than 13 hours of music, smoothly organised by the members and friends of Papa Mojo, supported by artists traveling from all over the country.

Over twelve hundred quid raised for an extreme cause:-)

Thanks to all responsible- a fantastic effort and a credit to the Scottish blues community.

Great day of music and craic, big thanks to all the bands, helpers and anyone else that got this thing going. One of the highlights for me was finally seeing Janie Garvie with a band behind her that befits her talent. They were immense! Great sets from Son Henry's new band too, Son's new sharp drssed man image is WAY cool, good sets from Hollowbody and Chicago Five too. A fabtastic day ending with a fantastic jam.

Janie is the longtime singer and sax player with Red Dawg. She has fronted various versions of this band over the years with very little result, sadly because she is an immense talent IMHO. This time she has finally got the band she deserves backing her, her voice and stage presence have got even better since I last saw her some years ago and I really hope this one works out for her.

Great day of music and craic, big thanks to all the bands, helpers and anyone else that got this thing going. One of the highlights for me was finally seeing Janie Garvie with a band behind her that befits her talent. They were immense! Great sets from Son Henry's new band too, Son's new sharp drssed man image is WAY cool, good sets from Hollowbody and Chicago Five too. A fabtastic day ending with a fantastic jam.

Aww shucks, many thanks for that....I'll make sure this gets passed onto Janie....not sure if she ever frequents ab-mus.

We're just in the process of getting a website setup (Red Dawg) where we'll be publishing details of forthcoming gigs among other things. One of our demo tunes we recorded at the Mill is on their now.

Thanks again.....thought the Haiti gig was awesome, and a great result with the fundraising.

I told Janie when I spoke to her later on in the day. But still pass it on to her again by all means. You guys were brilliant. It makes me feel good to see someone with her talent with a band that she thoroughly deserves, the best, and she has it at last IMO.

Yes, it was a brilliant result, everyone that took part can feel proud I reckon. LOL, I'm still hurting after it all, a week later!