aberdeen-music

Britain Values Nothing: Kraft Takeover of Cadburys

Guest Gladstone
In your opinion..i like it,so just because you don't doesn't make it shit! Peace love and harmony brother!

I think you'll find that Lucky is a dictator round these parts with all those rep points.

If I was you, I'd be looking under your car before you start it from now on...

Lindt chocolate utterly wipes Cadbury's. There's also this dark chocolate you can get that is filled with a thin layer of raspberry, can't remember what it's called though. Cote d'Noire or something possibly? Anyway, I think it's amazing.

anyone tried the chilli chocolate? no idea who makes it but you can get it in the republic of tesco. do they have their own flag yet?

I think you'll find that Lucky is a dictator round these parts with all those rep points.

If I was you, I'd be looking under your car before you start it from now on...

Hahaha ooooooooh.

I put chocolate in my chilli...mmmm.

no, the other way around! i think its lindt, they do their 80% chocolate with chilli flakes or something like that. i thought "WTF?" but it wiz arite min. ken?

I've tried this fancy chili, tequila and lime chocolate once. It was bizarre, each taste came to you individually and it burned a little. Really, really nice though.

yeah, like that!

While I'll agree that Cadbury is part of British tradition it is more of a multinational corporation in its current guise. They (it?) employ over 70,000 staff worldwide with only 3,000 of those in the UK. It's also publicly owned so it's not really up to anyone but the stockholders and potential investors/buyers to say what the value of the company is. There's nothing to suggest that current ownership is British given that cadbury plc is listed on the NYSE as well as the LSE.

I don't like it but that's how it is.

Yeah, that's it. Nothing is really 'ours' these days. The moment a company floats it belongs to the shareholders and is run primarily in their interest. Is it right? Is it wrong? It is what it is. I don't understand how people can get wound up about it. Our football teams, airports, energy companies, supermarkets, banks and the like are all similarly not ours.

But chocolate is different, apparently. And dey tuk ur jurb, most likely!

• 4 weeks later...

Bastard 1

Thank you for your recent enquiry, we always value feedback and comments from our consumers. As you have seen, our Board has recommended shareholders accept a significantly improved offer from Kraft of 840p a share plus a 10p special dividend. This decision was not taken lightly. We're now focused on ensuring any transition retains the unique qualities of Cadbury, including maintaining the momentum behind our Cadbury Cocoa Partnership and Fairtrade certification. Through this difficult time weve been heartened by the support we have received from people all over the world, and would like to thank everyone for their efforts. While Cadburys future seems likely to be in Krafts hands, we have no reason to fear for the future taste or quality of the brands our consumers have come to love. Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to contact us. Kind regards CharlieCadbury Consumer Relations Department

Bastard 2

Thank you for your e-mail. We would like to reassure you that Kraft Foods has great respect for Cadbury, its products, its people and its millions of consumers. We know we have taken on an extraordinary responsibility for preserving a rich legacy around the world. We have every intention of protecting and enhancing the value of these extraordinary brands. You will still be able to buy your favourite Cadbury products, such as the Creme Egg, Dairy Milk and Curly Wurly, in the same local retail stores just like you always have. Your Cadbury favourites are in good hands. We know Cadbury makes great products and we intend to continue that tradition. Kraft Foods and Cadbury actually have a lot in common. We have similar values. We are both passionate about our products and consumers. And we share a commitment to doing business responsibly, as you can see by our efforts to help those in the communities where we live and work. So to summarise, it remains business as usual for both Cadbury and Kraft Foods. Regards, Anna PasanenConsumer Relations Team

Bastards the lot of them. Nice line in corporate shite though.

Yes, and apparently moving production from that factory to Poland. I do however believe that was on the cards long before the takeover.

I see. I did expect more outrage (I mean in addition to The Guardian readership's usual level) about this so that makes sense.

Probably full of Poles anyway, that factory.